Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added a Hansshow Rear Climate Control & Heated Seat Screen To My 23 MYP (YT Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all very disheartening. I was really looking at adding this to my New MYLR, as well as the power frunk but with the poor quality and lack of customer service...

Maybe if the price was really cheap on AliExpress I may risk it but...
Power frunk kits are great. EVOffer is the vendor to buy from. Although their hardware looks almost the same, it is not (at least from the trunk kits I've installed in past). Also, EVOffer has a reputation for excellent customer service.

Reactions: fredzos and TProfit
Don’t get me wrong. Not saying don’t buy, just understand what you are getting into. Some of their products are awesome and Hansshow will be very helpful to a point, and short of a warranty claim or breakage in transit. At that point, you will likely have some resistance.

I think Hansshow has generally been reasonable with service when it doesn't cost them any money other than time. For example, providing troubleshooting. As soon as there is either a refund involved or replacing hardware, it is difficult. For those that are accepting of this, buy some of the cool products. If you are concerned with potentially needing replacement hardware or a refund, then seems not so good.

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
@pbcsd, With these Canadian winters and turning on the rear heat fan the cycling temps probably caused the issue. I also discovered that the display itself is flat while the surface it is glued to has a bow so the display is always under tension. Depending on whether the small drop of glue they use on the left vs right side is weaker, that side could pop off. GTA temps are more extreme then Vancouver so I hope yours will last.

@Icehedgehog88, I'm not expecting miracles and it was a good lesson. I was aware of their crap customer service reputation but did not anticipate how poorly this screen would be held together and just assumed it wouldn't be problematic as it is a fairly simple item. I'm glad you got some compensation but really my view is that a customer shouldn't have to incur huge costs to remedy a defective item. My case with them is still open so let's see if they do anything at all. I'm surprised they don't realize that if they simply provided a refund to customers with defective items w/o huge cost to the customer, there would be return business.

Hmmm...maybe I can add some glue to the back side of the unit? Some sort of glue that allows for some flex with different temps?

Is it possible to lower the brightness on the screen?
This is something I'm concerned about too. I ordered one from AliExpress and their product page mentions brightness adjustment, but there's no details. For those who have it, how does it look at night? Is the display blinding? If you turn the display off using the on-screen power button, does it come back on the next time you turn on the vehicle, or does it stay off until you touch it again? When it goes to the clock screensaver, does that stay dim enough to not be intrusive? I agree with the others that all I really want this for is to allow back seat passengers to adjust their own seat heat, would be glad to remove all of the other functions.
Maybe if the price was really cheap on AliExpress I may risk it but...
I paid $137.55 shipped from AliExpress. It will be a couple of weeks before it gets here, but that's probably true for my Model Y, too.

The glue failure problem is good to know about, I might consider adding some JB weld or something to the back side to make it more robust. It sounds like the temperature fluctuations coming from the vents immediately below it are hard on the cheap adhesive.

Reactions: TProfit
This is something I'm concerned about too. I ordered one from AliExpress and their product page mentions brightness adjustment, but there's no details. For those who have it, how does it look at night? Is the display blinding? If you turn the display off using the on-screen power button, does it come back on the next time you turn on the vehicle, or does it stay off until you touch it again? When it goes to the clock screensaver, does that stay dim enough to not be intrusive? I agree with the others that all I really want this for is to allow back seat passengers to adjust their own seat heat, would be glad to remove all of the other functions.

I paid $137.55 shipped from AliExpress. It will be a couple of weeks before it gets here, but that's probably true for my Model Y, too.

The glue failure problem is good to know about, I might consider adding some JB weld or something to the back side to make it more robust. It sounds like the temperature fluctuations coming from the vents immediately below it are hard on the cheap adhesive.
Could you send me the link to your seller. I didn't see one that cheap.

Looks like the escalation of my dispute through PayPal has come to a dead end. I asked PayPal if there was anything they could do since returning the broken rear screen cost more than what I paid for the screen itself. They told me they would contact Hansshow to explain the shipping situation and for them to consider a refund without returning the broken screen, Hansshow ignored PayPal. After a lot of back and forth with PayPal they simply told me to file a charge-back through my credit card. PayPal is powerless so in future I'm not sure if there is much point in using PayPal vs using a credit card directly.

Overall, I do not recommend this screen as the quality of the construction is poor. If you are set on getting one anyways either buy it for the lowest price possible on AliExpress ($137 on CARVIEW Carplay Store) or pay extra and buy it through Amazon (about $220 currently). With Amazon, you at least are likely to get an easy return/refund without further cost. Amazon is actually cheaper than Hansshow so seems like much better option.

Overall, I do not recommend this screen as the quality of the construction is poor. If you are set on getting one anyways either buy it for the lowest price possible on AliExpress or pay extra and buy it through Amazon. With Amazon, you at least are likely to get an easy return/refund without further cost. Amazon is actually cheaper than Hansshow so seems like much better option.
Good advice. I ordered from AliExpress before finding this thread and really appreciate hearing about your experience. I knew it was a gamble as far as returns go. Do you think reinforcing the attachment of the screen with a quality adhesive or epoxy before installing it would prevent the type of failure you experienced?

Good advice. I ordered from AliExpress before finding this thread and really appreciate hearing about your experience. I knew it was a gamble as far as returns go. Do you think reinforcing the attachment of the screen with a quality adhesive or epoxy before installing it would prevent the type of failure you experienced?
I'd have to take a better look at whether there's a good spot from the back to put some glue or epoxy. If they had used glue around the entire perimeter of the screen it would probably hold. That being said, they should have designed it in such a way that it snaps into place and not requiring glue at all - just like how the majority of panels are held in the car.

I'd have to take a better look at whether there's a good spot from the back to put some glue or epoxy. If they had used glue around the entire perimeter of the screen it would probably hold. That being said, they should have designed it in such a way that it snaps into place and not requiring glue at all - just like how the majority of panels are held in the car.
Lmk if you see anything, I was thinking of pulling the panel off and having a look but haven't had time.

Don’t get me wrong. Not saying don’t buy, just understand what you are getting into. Some of their products are awesome and Hansshow will be very helpful to a point, and short of a warranty claim or breakage in transit. At that point, you will likely have some resistance.
I'd say don't buy it. I got mine installed and had issues with the bluetooth audio being delayed by about 1s. It makes watching videos with dialog impossible. I tried a factory reset and now cannot get the application button to do anything. I think some of the controls also no longer work (rear seat heater controls don't seem to do anything). No bluetooth headphone support, no ability to use Fahrenheit... Have a slight squeak when I press on the touchscreen on the right side. Save your money and wait for something better.

Reactions: TProfit
i fitted the 7 inch back seat screen along with the 10.25 screen up front earlier this week and they are working ok so far. it seems to be a hit n miss with few units that don't work great for folks i noticed. hopefully mine work ok on the long run. so far i am enjoying the welcome additions.

I'm out on this. I've been following with interest but it seems as though it was developed for the lowest price possible and the lack of quality materials and R&D shows. I really like the idea of these screen-based-devices for the Model Y but it just seems like they're all junk for the most part. I wish someone would make quality items like this that actually work as advertised and remain reliable long-term. Just seems like another product in the long line of Chinese made junk that ends up in the waste bin after a short period. I guess the only answer for a rear screen is to trade this Model Y in on a Model X, sadly.

I'd say don't buy it. I got mine installed and had issues with the bluetooth audio being delayed by about 1s. It makes watching videos with dialog impossible. I tried a factory reset and now cannot get the application button to do anything. I think some of the controls also no longer work (rear seat heater controls don't seem to do anything). No bluetooth headphone support, no ability to use Fahrenheit... Have a slight squeak when I press on the touchscreen on the right side. Save your money and wait for something better.
I was able to restore the app button functionality with a set of update files on the USB drive from Hansshow support. Unfortunately, whatever bluetooth profile it is using to send audio to the Tesla Bluetooth connection is about 1 s of delay. While you can overcome this with saved videos using something like VLC or MX Player, it's complexity I don't think my kids will want, and it takes away the convenience of using streaming apps. Support claims as fix is coming, but I'm skeptical. They also said a setting for Fahrenheit vs Celsius is coming in a couple of weeks.

Ok so I’ve installed the small screen and while it looks great, it seems to selective choose it’s one dark mode over light mode.

We’ve had times where the default clock is dark which the kids prefer always and times the clock is super bright.

Anyone find a way to adjust manually or just keep the clock dark? Other than turning off the screen manually, don’t see any method of adjusting modes. 🤷🏽‍♂️

That looks nice but wish that silver trim was black instead. As with most product releases from HS, they rush to the market and you take your chances with issues. Best to wait until reviews come in, and I'm not talking about YT channels with free products, before putting the cash down. Also, other resellers will get these screens very shortly as well. For me I'd only buy these electronics from a reseller with a proven and consistent track record for delivering good post sales service or forego service if the price is way cheaper than anyone else (ie, Ali). My last item purchased from HS was extremely frustrating on a screen that lasted 2 months and I ended up losing my money - at least with Ali I would have lost less money.

Ok so I’ve installed the small screen and while it looks great, it seems to selective choose it’s one dark mode over light mode.

We’ve had times where the default clock is dark which the kids prefer always and times the clock is super bright.

Anyone find a way to adjust manually or just keep the clock dark? Other than turning off the screen manually, don’t see any method of adjusting modes. 🤷🏽‍♂️
It's controlled by the headlights. If the headlights are on, it will use dark mode. If the headlights are off, day mode.

That looks nice but wish that silver trim was black instead. As with most product releases from HS, they rush to the market and you take your chances with issues. Best to wait until reviews come in, and I'm not talking about YT channels with free products, before putting the cash down. Also, other resellers will get these screens very shortly as well. For me I'd only buy these electronics from a reseller with a proven and consistent track record for delivering good post sales service or forego service if the price is way cheaper than anyone else (ie, Ali). My last item purchased from HS was extremely frustrating on a screen that lasted 2 months and I ended up losing my money - at least with Ali I would have lost less money.
Looks like it may address some of the issues with the 7" screen version. Maybe???

Note, I did get the software update for Celsius vs Fahrenheit and it pretty much works. Seems to reset to Celsius when you use the back button to return to the Home Screen... Still no bluetooth headphone support, and the bluetooth connection to the car is still delayed by 1s. Unfortunately, this new version may mean they aren't going to spend much time supporting the old version. I share the concerns about the even smaller vents in the 7.2" version.