Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding dual/twin on board charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the $2k quote still accurate for a 15 MS 70 ? Would it hurt the battery w/ frequent SC (although I'd have about 4yrs left on the battery warranty)
I'm not sure they are still doing any upgrades to dual charger at any price.

The extra onboard charger doesn't change the Supercharger operation at all. The supercharger bypasses the onboard charger(s).

Somewhat related -- I live and travel in several areas that don't have any super charging infrastructure and am considering upgrading from a single 40amp charger (gen 2) to either dual gen2 chargers or a single 72amp charger (gen 3). Is there a pro or con vs doing dual gen 2 chargers at 40amps for a max of 80 amps or a single gen 3 charger at 72amps?

Last edited:
Somewhat related -- I live and travel in several areas that don't have any super charging infrastructure and am considering upgrading from a single 40amp charger (gen 2) to either dual gen2 chargers or a single 72amp charger (gen 3). Is there a pro or con vs doing dual gen 2 chargers at 40amps for a max of 80 amps or a single gen 3 charger at 72amps?

The dual charger can do 80, so that's a little more than the 3rd gen charger. I didn't know you can upgrade older cars to the 3rd gen charger. The good thing about the dual charger is that if one fails the other one still allows you to charge.

am considering upgrading from a single 40amp charger (gen 2) to either dual gen2 chargers or a single 72amp charger (gen 3). Is there a pro or con vs doing dual gen 2 chargers at 40amps for a max of 80 amps or a single gen 3 charger at 72amps?
It doesn't matter if there would be pros and cons, because it's not a choice you would get to make. They are shaped differently and installed in different places in the vehicles, so they are totally incompatible.

I have an old 2014 Model S with just the single charger. I've briefly thought about adding the second one, but there are just a couple of routes near me that it would be really useful, and I only do one of those drives about once a year. It's just not even close to worth $2,000 for that. And those routes may get Supercharger coverage in the next few years anyway, so it's going to be a short-lived benefit.

Would it hurt the battery w/ frequent SC (although I'd have about 4yrs left on the battery warranty)
I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, 120kW is high in absolute terms, but not high relative to the size of the battery. You're looking at ~1.5C for 15min or so. That's just not a big deal.

I've got over 70k on my 85, with lots of SC (most of my driving is 2hr highway trips). My range loss is ~3.5% (~9 miles).

All three generations are located under the rear back seat.
Oh, you're right. I remembered seeing a diagram of it being not under the seat and mounted vertically, so I knew it was elsewhere, but I just researched it and found what I was getting confused.

When the Model X came out, they had changed all kinds of things from how the Model S was at that time, including the new front fascia, the smaller frunk space, the special HEPA air filter, and changing the location of the charger and switch to the 48A/72A versions. It's shown in the manual that it's mounted vertically in the back left corner of the car, underneath the charge port.

When the Model S got refreshed in mid 2016, Tesla changed their builds to incorporate most of those changes into the new refreshed Model S. Since they got the new 48A/72A versions of charger, I thought they were also relocated to the "new" position, like the Model X had. But I see that it's more about seat configuration. The Model X has those monopost seats in the middle, so they don't have a place that can be under the seat there. But the Model S always has that back seat, so they did keep it there. I found the diagrams in the current S and X user manuals and can see those different charger locations.

I wasn't able to come up with much on the forum. I popped my rear seat to take a look at how hard adding another charger to my recently purchased p85+ would be. Looks rather straight forward as far as install, but I'm wondering if there is a part number difference for "right side" and "left side". My p85+ is a mid September build, and the existing single on-board charger says "2gen p/n 1014963-00-G". Looking on ebay for chargers, I found two chargers: 1 and 2. the part number is the same, except the last number "C" and "L". I'm guessing its a part number generation, but not sure. The current on-board charger ends with "G".
Yeah, I know I really don't need twin chargers.. but my last p85 had them, I like splitting the load between two chargers (regularly charge @ 50amps, 25/per charger to ease the load on each charger), I already setup my HPWC for 100amps and pulled wire. I figure if I can upgrade for ~$450, its worth it to me to have dual chargers. With new Tesla's coming with 72amp single chargers, I'd like to take advantage of any destination chargers while on the road.
Thanks!
Hi there; Were you able to install a second charger? I have a MS90 that only came with one, I invested in updating my panel box and installing a HPWC but without having twin chargers, what I get is the same as with the mobile charger, and having to come up with $ 2,500.00 for it is not too appealing,...