Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Finalizing Your Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly I'm in the wrong line of business. Does anyone else think the prices charged for this product/service are ridiculous?

I vinyl wrapped my track motorcycle and it was a PITA! I would gladly pay someone the price quoted by Liz to save me the heartache. A good buddy of mine owns his own company that does vinyl wrapping so he will be doing mine. I will get him to work up a quote for anyone in the VA/MD/DC that would like to use his services.

Pic of the bike after it was wrapped:
DSC_0002.JPG

I think the prices are in line mc.

This past spring, I had my Roadster re-wrapped...cost about $2,200 CAD

With respect to the Roadster's original wrap, Liz is bang on...the re-wrap was the same product as the original, but a way better job with respect to wrapping the seams around the doors, louvers, etc...wrapped all the way around the edges (not like the original wrap job which only wrapped up to the edges)...plus, included in the $2,200 price was getting the interior of the door jambs done protecting from the sand / gravel & slush & ice in the winter.

Having said that, all of my previous vehicles that had paint armour only had the lower fronts done (not the entire hood) and I never had a problem with paint chipping higher up than the armour covered.

Clearly I'm in the wrong line of business. Does anyone else think the prices charged for this product/service are ridiculous?

I agree that Todd did an excellent job. I've now had 3 cars with paint armor. The protection it gives your front end is significant. Yes, it will fade over time and need to be removed and replaced, but that's probably after 4 or 5 years. Underneath, your paint will look like new. It's not just good protection from road dust and an occasional stone flying off the car or truck in front of you. Down here in Florida, it also protects your front end from love bugs and other insects that die on your bumper and hood. The sun and heat then bake the insects, forever ruining your paint.

If you don't opt for Tesla's paint armor, then you should definitely have someone else do the work. Don't leave your huge investment unprotected.

I should call my local paint film place and get a quote from them. They are very highly regarded. If it's in the $1400 range, then that may be the way to go, since wrapping the edges will provide fewer places for dust to collect and make the lines show.

They don't remove trim or anything when they do that, right?

I should call my local paint film place and get a quote from them. They are very highly regarded. If it's in the $1400 range, then that may be the way to go, since wrapping the edges will provide fewer places for dust to collect and make the lines show.

They don't remove trim or anything when they do that, right?

Not that I'm aware of. From what I read they can actually apply it right over everything. Though installers may be different in their techniques so it wouldn't hurt to confirm when getting your quotes.

Thanks to all of you who provided the top level advice i was seeking. I particularly valued posts by Todd, Robert and 1079. This was by far the most valued resource for me in sorting out the details, and providing some level of comfort in purchasing a $100K product over the web without seeing it.

I signed paperwork yesterday. Some decisions were easy, some not at all - for anyone going through this process, here's my $0.02. I have never paid more than $20K for a car before, and drive a '97 CL (44K miles) and a '01 Accord EX. Both will last another 20 years at the rate i drive. The Tesla is a passion for me, and affordable now that my tuition bills are starting to wind down. This will almost certainly be the last car I buy, and want to do it right. So:

Easy Decisions:

- 85 KWH: Why spend this much without having maximum range? While i have a nil commute, i'd like to be able to get to NYC on one charge, back and forth from the Cape (can't wait for Cape Wind - at that time, 75% of the Cape will be powered by wind from what i read, which removes any doubt about the impact of an EV), and cross country upon retirement.

- Tech Package: Also a no-brainer. For me, the nav is the core driver - seems that the nav should have been included in the base package, but it's a core requirement, particularly if we try a cross-country. Very helpful in my wife's Prius even locally. Everything else is nice to have. Probably would have opted for it anyway.

- 19" Wheels: There was good information on this in this forum, and the rep (Mitchell, a recent grad from Tulane with Tesla for 2 months) strongly recommend the 19". Robert and Todd's comments supported this. The 21" wheels don't cut it in the winter - especially in New England - and are a costly option regarding tire replacement. Don't need the incremental performance anyway. So despite my family liking the 21" looks, this was among the easiest of decisions.

- Silver: Personal preference, but an easy choice. White/Black don't work for me in New England winters. Nor do the darker colors. Loved the silver color post, which made this another one of the no-brainer decisions.

- Regular Production (not the Performance Option): The way i drive, the 0-60 in 4.4 would only increase my wife's primeval screams and partner's calls for valium. So slightly different rationale than Robert, but also not worth the increment, not to mention forcing the 21" wheels.

A bit of thought decisions:

- Panoramic Roof: Initially, it wasn't obvious that it opened, or how it did. The rep indicated it was automatic and fit flush against the rear. Wasn't sure of the aerodynamic impact either. But at low speeds in great fall days here, it's a must. So this was one of the easier decisions. Good to see most of you opted for this. Looking forward to blue skies.

- Active Air Suspension: Based on my driving, i was leaning against this. The fact that it is mandatory this year (which i learned from this post - and confirm by the fact that i couldn't delete it from my order) made it non-decision. Now that i understand it better, I'd select it without doubt. Been in more than a few snow banks up here, not to mention a bit of off-road. Strongly recommend this for anyone up here based on what i've learned.

- Parcel Shelf: Cost was low enough, and nice to have the protection when parking downtown or by Fenway.

- HPWC: This one was interesting. Rep and many of you recommended against it, in that charging at 31 MPH versus 60 or so MPH would be sufficient for most / all circumstances. Assuming we all have alternative ICE cars, hard to image where this is indeed required. Still, based on the same rationale as opting for the 85 KWH option, why not have the capability for the few times you really need it (e.g., returning from NY and wanting a quick turn around for some social event), given the overall level of spend here (less than 3% of total cost). Go for it.

- Gray Leather: This was on the touger side for me. Not a fan of black - leather or not (summer heat, maintenance). Wish there were more fabric options, as i'm not a fan of leather. This resulted in severely limited set of choices with the Silver option, basically gray or nothing. I was not happy to see that gray might delay delivery (thanks Robert - i did not see the asterisk on my order), but don't feel there is much of a choice here. I see the forum for additional paint options - but think we need one for additional interiors. The sweeteners on the leather option helped, and as someone suggested, leather is expected on a car in this price range - so i guess this would have been the best choice - but i would have liked more options. As excited about delivery as i am, missing a couple of months of New England winter is ok too.

Lacewood: It was hard to visualize the look in the design center - zoom in/out would have helped. I relied on my family's opinion (which ruled out the wood) and comments in the forum in selecting lacewood over piano black. Hopefully, not a big deal - but not as comfortable with this decision as the others.

Harder Decsions for me:

- Sound Studio: I listen mostly to news or nothing, so paying more for a sound system didn't seem to make sense. However, comments above and by the rep indicated that this was one of the better values on the options list, and it would be foolish not to select it. And it goes up to 11. So in the spirit of getting it right, i opted for it - and tasked my kids with building a collection of 60's and classical MP3's. So i change my listening habits for this car.

- Paint Armour: Wow, i spend more time here than on any other choice, and went back and forth multiple times on this. Read the entire paint armour post several times, and see that we're quite divided on this, especially when considering the aftermarket options, not to mention the do-it-yourself option recommended by Nigel. I ended up staring at my '01 Accord, and thought it looked pretty good after 11 years of Boston area driving without protection (am i without doubt have a Boston driving style). So i deleted this one (BTW - i was great that Telsa provides 3 screens for checking your order before submitting, as i had deleted the sound system by mistake first).

Net: Yes, it's all personal preference. But in speding this much for a car with virtually no visibility into the details, especially if you're going to live with these decisions for 20+ years, it good to do your research. I'm grateful for this forum and now feel that i've made the best possible decisions for me. I hope to meet some of you in the new england area once we have delivery. Thanks again to everyone who posted here.

Jack, congratulations on finalizing--it looks like you really thought everything through, which is great!

A few things:

Just for the sake of others who may read this thread:

-The performance option does not force the 21" wheels. You can "downgrade" to 19s even when getting the performance, although as of right now it doesn't give you any credit toward the cost.

-I was a little surprised about your mentioning black leather as requiring more maintenance. I got the black leather in particular to avoid the additional cleaning difficulties that come with lighter leather colors. But maybe you were referring to leather maintenance in general?

Finally, I think its awesome that you're having your kids put together an MP3 collection for you. I hope you enjoy it!

One other note on black leather in the heat -- Tesla is going to have an app out in a few months that will allow the owner to cool (or heat) the car as desired whenever you want, so if you are in a sunny, hot parking space in the summer, you can set the temp to 74 (or whatever) long before you get to your car so the cabin is cool when you enter. Just in case you'd otherwise perhaps want the black, don't let the heat affect your decision because it should be a non-issue.

Congrats, by the way! I like you logical approach to the ordering process.

-The performance option does not force the 21" wheels. You can "downgrade" to 19s even when getting the performance, although as of right now it doesn't give you any credit toward the cost.

One option if one's getting a sig or per with 21" included but wants 19" at least for winter use is to get a separate set of 19" rims. They are very reasonably priced. Then put on either all-seasons or winter tires, depending on how severe the winter months are where you live. Use the 21" for the 6-8 summer months and the 19" for the 4-6 winter months. The incremental cost is just the rims, as using 19" tires in winter will let your 21" summer tires last much longer. The 19" tires are also cheaper, so the average tire cost is probably close to what 20" tires would cost.

The drawback is having to spend one hour in fall and one hour in spring to swap wheels, and having to store the spare set. But you can then keep one wheel of the other set in the car as a spare if you feel you need one.

Jack-

Great line-by-line thoughts on your purchase!!!!

I am wondering if I can afford the 85 kWh.....because it sounds like I drive like you drive....not very far on a given day.....

I like good sound.....but I listen mostly to NPR in the morning time and stream music from my phone on the way home.....do I need the sound package???? Will have to hear how it sounds :)

Silver v. Blue.....probably silver.....I liked it even more after I collected all those silver pics.

Sounds like you are satisfied with your final purchase........maybe I'll have the motivation to go put down my reservation soon!!!!

Congrats on finalizing! It is a tough job to configure the car without really having seen it in the configuration you are considering.

Before I chose white, I was thinking about silver. FWIW to others looking at this choice, silver/tan is a classic combination. I found photos of Porsches, Mercedes, and Aston Martins with this combo. It's certainly not very common, but that was going to be my choice if I went silver.

jack that is great. Love the explanation for choices. We will both be listening to more than Karl Castle with that audio upgrade ("chmoda+wrx" take note). MikeK, it is ironic that you showed me (us all) the videos of Blue and I never looked further. Still struggling a bit on 60 v 85, Twin Chargers, HPWC...would have to change paperwork to do anything. But opinions welcome (see also Charge Anxiety thread).

MikeK, it is ironic that you showed me (us all) the videos of Blue and I never looked further.

I know! I still have an occasional pang about not choosing the blue. I sincerely hope that Tesla has all the body gap fit & flush stuff worked out at this point, because any issues are going to stick out like a sore thumb on white. I love the blue, but in the end I just didn't think that I would realistically maintain it well enough to keep it looking like it should.

The detailers I spoke with both told me that I would need to take special care to keep the blue looking sharp, while I could just take the white to the local car wash and get it polished up nicely once a year. I have enough demands on my time and attention at this point that I didn't want to add another.

But I will probably look longingly at any blue Model S that I see (especially with the tan interior) and wonder what might have been. ;-)

jack that is great. Love the explanation for choices. We will both be listening to more than Karl Castle with that audio upgrade ("chmoda+wrx" take note). MikeK, it is ironic that you showed me (us all) the videos of Blue and I never looked further. Still struggling a bit on 60 v 85, Twin Chargers, HPWC...would have to change paperwork to do anything. But opinions welcome (see also Charge Anxiety thread).

We're sure getting a lot of feedback from Roadster owners and the Tesla rep that the HPCW/Twin Chargers are not needed. I'm not sure where the disconnect is, but i can't get through that logic - per my post on the charging anxiety forum. The whole point of the S is range - the abiltiy to drive ~ 300 miles without a charge, and not be worried about having to switching to a ICE car due to charging on transitions. I have a daughter in school in Philly, which happens to be 300 miles from my home - it would be great to be able to go door to door without a charge, drive locally, and then get back without stopping. Same for my sister in DC. It will also be nice to save $100 in gas on such a trip (600/25*4). I will have my S for a long time - the incremental range is a no-brainer. If you're buying 300 miles of range, the charging equipment to support that seems appropriate to me.

We're sure getting a lot of feedback from Roadster owners and the Tesla rep that the HPCW/Twin Chargers are not needed. I'm not sure where the disconnect is, but i can't get through that logic - per my post on the charging anxiety forum. The whole point of the S is range - the abiltiy to drive ~ 300 miles without a charge, and not be worried about having to switching to a ICE car due to charging on transitions. I have a daughter in school in Philly, which happens to be 300 miles from my home - it would be great to be able to go door to door without a charge, drive locally, and then get back without stopping. Same for my sister in DC. It will also be nice to save $100 in gas on such a trip (600/25*4). I will have my S for a long time - the incremental range is a no-brainer. If you're buying 300 miles of range, the charging equipment to support that seems appropriate to me.

It's about the speed of charging and has nothing to do with range.