Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For brake cooling you would not want to stop all airflow

You are right, like all Aero wheels need some slots to disipate heat properly.

Assuming that this vehicle demand much less mechanical braking than ICE, I think if you find the compromise between enough brake cooling and aerodinamic flow, shouldn´t be a problem, increasing its performance and looking really nice, that is what everyone is looking for.

The first is a good idea, the second is a bad one.
Wheels should be "open" when decelerating or rotating under some threshold speed.
A simple spring should accomplish the job.

It should, but the problem will be to keep it functional in spite of dirt and brake dust. I suspect that's why no one has done it.

Indeed, keeping it functional through mud and snow and dust and water and ... might prove problematic but on the other hand - what harm comes from them not working OK? If done right, they would not close at high speed when to dirty - no real harm.

There would at least be a good reason to keep rims clean :)

Greetings Everyone and Happy New Year! My First Post On TMC, I just accepted delivery of my Metallic Grey Model S 85 with Standard Wheels and Michelin Tires upgrade. I then saw on the Tesla Gear and Accessories they had the SottoZero Winter Tires with the Aero Wheels available. I ordered them through the Denver Service Center who then had them Shipped to me From The Seattle Service Center. They arrived about a week before my car and within 4 days I had Bozeman TireRama swap the wheel sets to have the needed traction for the super early and deep snows we have received already this winter. They drive like a dream even on wet, icy or snow covered roads. Here are a few pix. :biggrin:
View attachment 39785View attachment 39786View attachment 39787

Would any of you be able to photoshop my Aerowheels so they are all grey?
I would like to Block out all the wheel chrome with the body color grey and see how it looks.
A powder coat service moved in next store to my office and I just may have to look into changing the look of these for 2015 :)

Nor do I, but I did some quick scribbling in MS paint just for fun. Might be useful to get an idea.

Aero wheels.jpg

With more EVs coming to the market, I wonder if someone will make a set of superlight wheels with the ability to affix the 21st century equivalent of hubcaps? You could easily save 5 pounds a corner (if not more), and external attchment of the nouveau pizza pans would allow you to change between full Aero for range, vented for normal, etc.

@DrGuest: How do you remove these wheels? Looking at the closeup photos (way back in thread) the center discs appear to be captive by the spokes. Can you simply remove the center discs somehow, and then expose the lug nuts? Thanx.
--

@DrGuest: How do you remove these wheels? Looking at the closeup photos (way back in thread) the center discs appear to be captive by the spokes. Can you simply remove the center discs somehow, and then expose the lug nuts? Thanx.
--

The hub cap is plastic, painted to match, and easily snaps in or out. It has a small hole which is used with a provided tool (basically just a hook) to pull the cap off and expose the lug nuts.