Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think even a 3% range boost is worth the effort and I like that it hides the rusty calipers I've seen on some of the CPOs.

Solution A: pay to sand and repaint calipers, get 0 range increase
Solution B: put on aero mod, hide calipers, get noticeable range increase even if minor.

I would be curious to know the weight difference between the black, clear, and aluminum.

I just weighed a set of five, .68 lb. for the .04" thick aluminum ones and .938 lb. for the .125" polycarb.

I'll take Solution B sir :)

Solution B: put on aero mod, hide calipers, get noticeable range increase even if minor.

I'm not so sure the increase is that minor.
Difference between RWD S70 and S70D is 442/420 = 5%.
If aero-covers give 5% more range that is a major increase in my book.

Won't matter--unless there is a very large difference--because the weight from these inserts is fairly close to the centre of rotation.

I'd suggest you google the term "unsprung weight" it affects handling and range (efficiency). The effect might be minor in this case but it is why people pay extra for lighter rims.

I was also concerned to know because how you fasten it would vary by material used.

I'd suggest you google the term "unsprung weight" it affects handling and range (efficiency). The effect might be minor in this case but it is why people pay extra for lighter rims.

I was also concerned to know because how you fasten it would vary by material used.

With my racing background I am very familiar with the term .....
I have a general rule about adding UN-sprung weight ...don't. If I do, I will find an item that weights the same or more and remove it :)

Jeff

Im sure they will make a difference, i have not found the article... but Nissan LEAF guys did a similar things and basically covered the wheels completely...aero discs for dramatic improvements... when your range is less than 80 miles adding 10 miles or more is huge!

Yes, there is the unsprung weight, but it's minimal compared to the weight of the wheel and tire assembly plus the unsprung suspension components--although the unsprung weight is comprises most of the losses in this case. What I was referring to was the additional penalty caused by the parts rotating, which can affect the range more when accelerating. The closer to the centre of rotation the less the effect.

How it's fastened is the big concern I have as well.

Ok, Had some time to do the install of the wheel covers.

As you can see..no wheel was injured to install covers(no drilled holes). Don't get me wrong im not against drilling the rim to anchor them, I have done it on both motorcycle wheels and my Pin Drive wheels on my Cobra. I just wanted to see if this way worked.
From the one photo you can see I used two sided foam tape to inatally hold the pieces , then secured the outer , then inner pieces together.
What I learned.....I need to space the two small holes further apart. I pulled to hard on the safety wire on one and pulled the wire right through. Second I need to make the covers a little larger to fit the opening closer. This would provide more surface area for the two sided tape to hold.
The covers are very well secured, but I think I will make a few sets, just a little larger, along with the holes spaced further apart.
Oh ya, I also changed up the sanded pattern. What do you think ?

Jeff

IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG

I drive 5000 miles with my closed disks and the difference in range and energy usage is significant. The faster you go, the higher the effect. At 65 mph they added 5% range, at 85 mph the difference was around 8%. I've driven from LA to Minneapolis 4 times and the last time I had the disks on. The energy usage difference was very noticeable.

The reason I had to take them off is that having disks on the wheels causes different problems. Not at all heat. Mostly it was noise and the two materials scratching against each other (rim and disk). No access to the valve is also a negative. I really wish Tesla would make an actual aero wheel that looks decent. I got a lot of very positive feedback for the clean look of the disks. People loved the look. I think not only is there a market for it, it also increases range quite a bit.

In the Tesla road trip races you see on Youtube, such wheels could easily decide the winner over a contestant with stock wheels. So much time saved charging, or buy driving normally rather than having to hypermile to reach the next charger. Especially when on slow public chargers, the time needed to charge to reach the next would be hugely lower if you can suffice with 5% less state of charge. On long runs, perhaps 10%?
Perhaps wheels are the main reason to be disappointed with Tesla for technical reasons. They make such an effort making the cars have optimal range and then just not even OFFER the overpriced aero wheels. At least pretend like you want to offer the best! And single 2012 effort, not could be better with a great margin, surely...

Reactions: David99
That's my thought as well. Tesla often talks about how efficient the car is and how they put a lot of effort into making it so. Good aero wheels are a very simple thing to manufacture and offer a good amount of range increase without any compromise on comfort or performance.
Tesla even said it themselves. Every percent they save in efficiency saves on the most expensive part: the battery. 5% more battery capacity costs $1000-2000 more and adds weight to the car. 5% saved with aero wheels costs nothing compared to normal rims, nor does it add weight. It's literally free extra range.