Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://electric-vehicles-cars-bikes.blogspot.com/2011/12/continental-develops-tyres-for-electric.html

special tyres for EV's

but like the rim that is shown!

Continental-eContact.jpg

21" wheels are for girls. Real men that care about their car would go for the 19 inchers ;) But all jokes aside, anyone that's driven on even 19" wheels and the low-profile tires that go with them knows how terrible they are on alignment, how badly they chew through tires, and the damage they can cause to the rims. I wish they would provide higher resolution pictures of the car and some of the features on their site, including the wheels. To get the aerodynamic wheels or not? That is the question.

I'll be curious how many aero wheels Tesla sells. I wonder if they'll release those numbers.

Aero wheels have been around forever and would help an ICE efficiency just as much as an EV. If people wanted them, they'd have them today. If anything, the small efficiency gain would be much more valuable on an ICE due to gas costs. On an EV the extra range is almost never going to be used and the cost of fuel in an EV is much, much lower so the savings due to the aero wheels are equally low.

It's not really about fuel costs, it's about a range cushion. ICE's can find gas stations anywhere, EV's not so much. A 20 mile range extension means you can make a 300 mile trip with some cushion. Plus it's "free" range extension. I'm not sure which way I'd go, I like the idea of a minor mod giving added range, even if I don't really need the range. Plus it means the pack will be cycled a little less deeply even if you don't use the extra range. I'd just hope the final product looks better than what we've seen so far.

I can't remember which thread (maybe this one) but multiple people were asserting exactly the opposite.
That sounded vaguely familiar, so I searched and it was in this very thread. The conversation more or less ended with _this post_ supporting my point. Saving 5% with ICE is simply much more valuable than 5% on an EV as far as pure costs savings. It's just a derivation of gas saved versus electricity saved.

As JRP3 noted though, if that extra 20 mile distance is important from a range perspective, that's another factor to consider.

I know you don't like me brian (and I'll again suggest you put me on ignore), but simply taking a conflicting position and offering nothing else isn't productive. I'm a math, physics and computers guy. I can easily be convinced by numbers. You could have brought some counter mathematical evidence or even searched and found the information in the old posts.

I'm hesitant to put you on ignore since you have some valuable posts like the NAIAS thread, but it'd be nice if you'd stop poking at me just to poke at me.

Last edited:
[1] I know you don't like me Larry (and I'll again suggest you put me on ignore), but [2] simply taking a conflicting confronting position isn't productive. You could have brought some counter mathematical evidence or even searched and found the old posts rather than what you chose to do.
Passing along information has nothing to do with taking a position.

[1,2] No idea where you got these ideas. In fact, I don't have an opinion on either topic. You do seem a little bit emotional at times though.

It's not really about fuel costs, it's about a range cushion. ICE's can find gas stations anywhere, EV's not so much. A 20 mile range extension means you can make a 300 mile trip with some cushion. Plus it's "free" range extension. I'm not sure which way I'd go, I like the idea of a minor mod giving added range, even if I don't really need the range. Plus it means the pack will be cycled a little less deeply even if you don't use the extra range. I'd just hope the final product looks better than what we've seen so far.

I agree with this, and that's why I'm getting them. It's $10k to add 70 miles to the battery. So another $1,500 to add 20 miles is a great deal (the battery costs nearly 2x as much on a per mile basis). In fact, in my case it will cost me more because i'm getting a signature but i'm still opting for aerodynamic wheels. I want all the range I can get because this will be my family's primary car and we regularly do 340 mile road trips to visit granny (over the hills and thought the woods as it were).

I know you don't like me Larry (and I'll again suggest you put me on ignore), but simply taking a conflicting confrontational position and offering nothing else isn't productive.

To be fair, your post is far more confrontational than his (which seems conversational?). When I read your post, I too was wondering where I saw the discussion before, but didn't take the time to search.

On topic, I find them less sexy than the 21" wheels, but for those times where I'd need to plush it to the limit, I'd find them a quick and fairly easy way of so. Might make good winter wheels too.