Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about wheel spacers:

I just finished putting 3mm spacers on the rear wheels after getting new aftermarket wheels: 19x9 et35.

I counted how many full turns I can get, and including torquing it down with the torque wrench, I managed about 5 and a half. I'm assuming this isn't safe, correct?

I checked how many full turns I can without the spacers and it was at least 8.

Question about wheel spacers:

I just finished putting 3mm spacers on the rear wheels after getting new aftermarket wheels: 19x9 et35.

I counted how many full turns I can get, and including torquing it down with the torque wrench, I managed about 5 and a half. I'm assuming this isn't safe, correct?

I checked how many full turns I can without the spacers and it was at least 8.

I agree this isn't ideal. I was always told the minimum is 7. It's possible your aftermarket wheels have a thicker mounting hub (thickness between conical seat and wheel mounting surface), which inherently reduces the number of "turns" even without spacers.

• Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
Thanks for this, but I don't quite understand how to do this math based on the length of my lug nut. Could you clarify?

If the lug nut is covered, you should use what @superflyrolla mentioned (thread engagement at least equal to fastener diameter). You can measure that by number of turns or measure the exposed threads before installing the lug nut (though the nut likely has a small amount of distance from the mating face to start of female threads).

If the lug nut is open, just get at least 1-2 threads of protrusion and it's fine.

Following for other's thoughts. I've always been told thread engagement should equal stud diameter. Model 3 has M14 x 1.5 studs, so that means you want 9.33 turns. Your 3mm spacers should subtract 2 turns. The stock wheels don't provide that much engagement so Tesla engineering isn't following that guideline.

Do you mean that even the OEM wheels don't have enough thread engagement to get 9 full turns? If so, how many did you count? I never counted mine.

Pearl White Model 3 with Gloss Black 20" Falcon Flow Forged Wheels and Gloss Black Carbon Fiber Trunk Wing
  • Size: 20x8.5" Front, 20x10" Rear
  • Offset: 20x8.5": +35 Front, 20x10": +40 Rear
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3
  • Weight: 20x8.5": 25.25 lbs Front, 20x10": 25.65 lbs Rear
  • Load Rating: 750 kg/1,653 lbs
  • Tire Size: 20x8.5": 235/35-20 Front, 20x10": 275/30-20 Rear
pearl-white-tesla-model-3-20-inch-gloss-black-falcon-wheels-flow-forged-wm-1.jpg
pearl-white-tesla-model-3-20-inch-gloss-black-falcon-wheels-flow-forged-wm-4.jpg

A question to those with aftermarket wheels. I just received my Stance wheels and they were not machined for the performance hubs even though the salesman put that on the invoice. They offered to send me 3 mm hub spacers or have them shipped back and they will have them properly machined. So, obviously the spacers are way easier, but is there a downside to using them? Should I just drive down to Santa Fe springs and have them remachined properly and have them sent back?
Thanks for your insite.

A question to those with aftermarket wheels. I just received my Stance wheels and they were not machined for the performance hubs even though the salesman put that on the invoice. They offered to send me 3 mm hub spacers or have them shipped back and they will have them properly machined. So, obviously the spacers are way easier, but is there a downside to using them? Should I just drive down to Santa Fe springs and have them remachined properly and have them sent back?
Thanks for your insite.

No spacer is better than a spacer. If it were me I'd have them re-done.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Can anyone recommend some good light weight 18?
I ordered some Titan 7 T-S5’s in 18” from Evasive Motorsports last week. I researched around and settled on those on balance of all factors (no spacers needed, good looks etc). I was supposed to receive tracking info a week ago and despite numerous follow-up emails it’s been radio silence since then. Hopefully it all works out and I’ll share pictures when that happens. Tony did seem busy but no updates in over a week is starting to annoy me - especially as I need the shipping details for my customs broker. Anyone had trouble with Evasive before?

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Has anyone running the Brixton RF7 & Performance Model set up run into fitment issues with front or rear wheels? Did all wheels fit flush out of the box? I ran into a situation where the front two wheels were not flush when mounted due to an apparent machining error. Install shop had to cut small piece that was blocking fronts from being properly mounted. All good now but I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit sketched out by the whole process. Initially, the wheels were wobbly, seemingly the result of a machining/manufacturing error. Will contact Brixton directly though warranty on them is probably voided since the shop had to cut small piece that was blocking them from mounting properly with the Performance model's stepped hub ring. Curious if anyone else has seen or heard of this.

Pearl White Model 3 with Gloss Black 20" Falcon Flow Forged Wheels and Gloss Black Carbon Fiber Trunk Wing
  • Size: 20x8.5" Front, 20x10" Rear
  • Offset: 20x8.5": +35 Front, 20x10": +40 Rear
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3
  • Weight: 20x8.5": 25.25 lbs Front, 20x10": 25.65 lbs Rear
  • Load Rating: 750 kg/1,653 lbs
  • Tire Size: 20x8.5": 235/35-20 Front, 20x10": 275/30-20 Rear
View attachment 571113 View attachment 571114
Looks great! Are the mirror caps vinyl-wrapped or did you put caps on them?

Reactions: gcmak
Reactions: gcmak