Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AGL announces $1 a day all-you-can-charge electric vehicle program.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australian electricity company will give you Tesla charging for $1 a day

Australian energy company, AGL, will provide customers who own electric vehicles, such as a Tesla, all-you-can-consume electricity for A$1 per day.

The company's CEO Andy Vesey announced the Australian-first initiative at the Australia Energy Week Conference in Melbourne on Tuesday. He said it will cost a customer A$365 a year to juice up their electric vehicle to their heart's content, while it is at home.

Full article above.
Basics -
If you have a smart meter, can can charge your car 24/7 at home and it's only $1 per day regardless of how much energy.
AGL will also carbon offset the usage.

EDIT: Mashable also added an great comparison note
"With the cost of charging an electric car sitting around A$4.50 per 100 kilometres in Australia, that's a pretty decent saving to put away for a rainy day. Or a cruise up the coast"

$1/day is not necessarily revolutionary.

I do about 15,000 km / year of home based driving (excluding trips).

That is 3,300 kWh / year at 220 Wh/km.

Which costs $231 / year on the 0.07 off peak tariff I charge at.

Which is 63 cents per day, and carbon-offset already by my fixed $ rate green power fee.

So I would be worse off at $1/day !

$1/day is not necessarily revolutionary...snip...So I would be worse off at $1/day !
Yes the devil will be in the detail. If I were to charge during peak hours, I'd be self-consuming our solar output most days, therefore charging for free essentially, so there's that to consider. But on the flipside, I'm paying $0.1887/kWh plus 2.89c/day supply charge from AGL for the controlled load which is $633.26 annually if using your scenario. I'd be better killing off tarrif 33 and running with this on the face of it.

...but I'm expecting some easter egg in the detail that means AGL is the winner.

My car is parked in a different building to the one I live in so I have separate meters and accounts for the car and the apartment.
I doubt the AGL offer will be inclusive of service charge so it's not likely to suit me.
Might switch over the shared house in the country once I know the details as it will make accounting for the EV usage much easier.

$1/day is not necessarily revolutionary.

I do about 15,000 km / year of home based driving (excluding trips).

That is 3,300 kWh / year at 220 Wh/km.

Which is 63 cents per day, and carbon-offset already by my fixed $ rate green power fee.

So I would be worse off at $1/day !

I think the good thing about there "deal" (depending what the T&C's end up) is that the general population who doesn't know or want to learn about the best rates, off-peak/charging at night only/day only on solar or how many kWh are used to calculate that.
It's a basic "You pay max $1 a day, charge whenever and however much you like"

For the simple folk they will compare that to less than 1L of petrol it makes a good statement.

If you have a smart meter, can can charge your car 24/7 at home and it's only $1 per day regardless of how much energy.

According to the media article you need to have *AGL* smart meter. Is this true? If so, might mean you can't get it unless you live in an area where you can get an AGL smart meter.

Also, presumably you would need to have a meter readout just for the car charger.

Depends where you live I guess. We currently pay $0.1355/kWh + GST for Off-peak, and according to AGL rates we would have to pay $0.1616/kWh + GST. Vic/Ausnet distribution area.

Which is over double the price you quoted, so a cap of $1 per day might be worth it.

But on the flipside, I'm paying $0.1887/kWh plus 2.89c/day supply charge from AGL for the controlled load

The cheapest I have seen here is AGL which charges $0.2422/kWh + GST for < 1022 kWh in 91 days. We are currently paying $0.3633/kWh during peak periods after we exceed the daily threshold.