Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ah yes. Tesla service at it again in the East.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now I’m not going to name the service center I’m dealing with in hopes they will clear their name, but this has got to stop. The company needs to heavily review internal processes of how parts are handled and appointments are scheduled.

I made my original appointment on June 10, for the MCU1 to MCU2 swap. I was told they would arrive on time- as I dropped my original appointment for the FSD only install onto existing MCU1 HW.

So they end up telling me the part is something like a week late and to reschedule... so I do and of course the App only lets me choose a date two weeks or more away. Whatever. I schedule it.

Two weeks go by and still no part. (I also need a headlight assembly swapped... my 13th replacement)
So they tell me to reschedule again... I do.,, and once again I’m pushed two weeks out.
So my 3rd appointment rolls around and they say “Hi unfortunately the part isn’t going to be here by Friday but it will be here Saturday! So if you’d like just drop your car off and we will get it installed Monday!”
At this point it is further in the process than I’ve been so I make the 3 hour drive at 4am to get my car delivered. They gave me a loner locked in chill mode (bullshit) and then say it may be this Wednesday before it’s finished... okay that’s cool just get it done.

NOW this morning (Tuesday) I got a text message reply after asking if my parts came in Saturday like I had been told (and figured I was lied to about) and low and behold yes! IT WAS A LIE, and now they would like me to cancel and reschedule for after August 3rd knowing damn well that their appointments are constantly backed up 2 weeks at a time and I won’t be able to schedule it till after August 14th most likely.
Oh and I would need to drive three hours, pick up my car, then wait that two weeks just to repeats the whole process.

SO great guys. So so great.

I have the same issue going on right now with our Model X, also in for an MCU upgrade. I dropped the car off at the local Service Center on Wednesday of last week and was told that they were running a little behind and wouldn't be able to work on the car until Thursday or Friday. Now I was a little annoyed by this because obviously they knew there was a backup before I dropped the car off that morning but whatever.

The text message updates that I received that afternoon and the subsequent one that I received on Thursday confirmed that the car was not even touched until Friday, or so I thought. I received a call from my Service Center yesterday (Monday) saying that they did not receive all of the necessary parts of the order and would try to get them in ASAP in order to complete the MCU upgrade today.

They've been really apologetic throughout this process and honestly this isn't the first poor Service experience that I've had but this has gone on for a full week and I am not at all confident that I will be able to pick my Model X up today. On top of all of that my Wife is PISSED because this is her daily driver. Fortunately for us our need to travel has significantly decreased due to COVID but we've gone past just being inconvenient at this point.

Seems to me like there is pretty easy and straightforward way to fix this issue and it comes down to basic logistics:

1) Schedule service appointment
2) Order parts
3) Verify parts have been received before appointment
4) Verify technician availability for service appointment
5) Complete the work in a timely manner

It's the simple things that have frustrated me with Tesla and a lot of other folks that I've seen post on this forum. I've written emails in the past and I plan on putting together another one after I get my X back from the MCU upgrade about my experience with Tesla Service. I doubt they are really getting any real attention but it usually makes me feel better afterwards.

Right now I’m not going to name the service center I’m dealing with in hopes they will clear their name, but this has got to stop. The company needs to heavily review internal processes of how parts are handled and appointments are scheduled.

I made my original appointment on June 10, for the MCU1 to MCU2 swap. I was told they would arrive on time- as I dropped my original appointment for the FSD only install onto existing MCU1 HW.

So they end up telling me the part is something like a week late and to reschedule... so I do and of course the App only lets me choose a date two weeks or more away. Whatever. I schedule it.

Two weeks go by and still no part. (I also need a headlight assembly swapped... my 13th replacement)
So they tell me to reschedule again... I do.,, and once again I’m pushed two weeks out.
So my 3rd appointment rolls around and they say “Hi unfortunately the part isn’t going to be here by Friday but it will be here Saturday! So if you’d like just drop your car off and we will get it installed Monday!”
At this point it is further in the process than I’ve been so I make the 3 hour drive at 4am to get my car delivered. They gave me a loner locked in chill mode (bullshit) and then say it may be this Wednesday before it’s finished... okay that’s cool just get it done.

NOW this morning (Tuesday) I got a text message reply after asking if my parts came in Saturday like I had been told (and figured I was lied to about) and low and behold yes! IT WAS A LIE, and now they would like me to cancel and reschedule for after August 3rd knowing damn well that their appointments are constantly backed up 2 weeks at a time and I won’t be able to schedule it till after August 14th most likely.
Oh and I would need to drive three hours, pick up my car, then wait that two weeks just to repeats the whole process.

SO great guys. So so great.

I understand your frustration. In this case given the long distance to SC and inconvenience, it's probably wishful thinking to rely upon them saying the part should arrive Saturday, after the multiple delays. As with most things Tesla, better to wait until the parts / car / features / et al. exist before counting on them or paying for anything.

I Wonder how we band together to get Tesla to improve service. It's a monopolistic bureaucracy run worse than the MVD. The problem is choice and competition
You nailed it. Nothing will change until competitors start to eat their lunch. Elon simply does not care. Parts and service are not "cool" so he won't invest in them. When I needed parts after a deer strike last winter (so not Covid-related), the parts sat in Plano, TX for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be created. That is ridiculous.

Even if Elon hires someone he will micromanage them until they leave.

The Tesla of today will not be viable if/when other companies offer similar products. The pickup market will be the bellwether. That is going to be the first place Tesla will have any meaningful competition.

It's also becoming clear to me that Tesla has way underestimated the demand for the MCU upgrade. Elon was very wishy-washy on offering it in the first place and even said in a tweet once they finally committed to offering it, he didn't think it was worth the cost.

That's why I upgraded from a new MCU1. I didn't want to wait and lose the chance to get Tesla to do it for 2500. It's not a ton of work but it isn't a quick job for one person either. Not just the hardware but also software that eats time.

I had a great second MCU2 upgrade attempt. I was told a day and it took 2 hours. I could've even saved 30 minutes removing and reinstalling car seats and forwent the Ap0 S85 loaner.

You nailed it. Nothing will change until competitors start to eat their lunch. Elon simply does not care. Parts and service are not "cool" so he won't invest in them. When I needed parts after a deer strike last winter (so not Covid-related), the parts sat in Plano, TX for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be created. That is ridiculous.

Even if Elon hires someone he will micromanage them until they leave.

The Tesla of today will not be viable if/when other companies offer similar products. The pickup market will be the bellwether. That is going to be the first place Tesla will have any meaningful competition.
It’s so far off from the core values of Tesla, it wouldn’t be easy to get change even if they got new parts and service leadership tomorrow.

The competition is far off in the ability to scale imo, but they’re not far off from taking a decent chunk of the current minuscule EV market. In particular it’s clear the legacy manufacturers can subsidize the EVs and not resort to the cost-cutting that Tesla needs to drive stock prices.

Reactions: Chaserr
I just had MCU2, infotainment, and Bioweapons Defense Mode upgrades installed this week and it all went pretty smoothly. My appointment was delayed by a week from the original date but I was asked to reschedule several days in advance. The only challenge I had was the firmware upgrade on the Bioweapons DM was not done because the service advisor didn't enter the upgrade correctly but when I finally got through to Tesla Support, they told me to set up another service appointment and within two hours, I had a notification that the firmware upgrade wasn't done and they would download it. It downloaded and all works great. Getting things done right the first time would have been ideal but given that they could fix it over the air, I am pretty happy.

Sad tales. My experience is very different. When I picked up my 3 in early June, we noticed a big tear in the drivers door panel. Asked to place a service request, left a picture of the defect with the SC, and 2 weeks later a service car came to my home and installed it. He apologized saying they had to order the part, which is why the 2 week delay
Happy!

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
It’s all about the competition at this time, they kissed ass earlier during service appointments and took care of customers when they came in, offered loaners and went out of the way that was 2018.
I purchased a Y on July 17 and notorious for not being put together correctly with body panels, bumpers and other issues. Well got a service appointment, the advisor was somewhat helpful. Asked about a loaner and all he said was” we don’t do that anymore” I was shocked when he said we will offer Uber credits.
Now if it were to be a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any other manufacturers first thing would have been we apologize for your inconvenience and let us get you a rental or loaner on us.
Tesla service advisor did not bother about even apologizing, 68k vehicle in the shop the very first week, quality control Elon?
Now I know why you want to go to Mars, so no one can bother you after you take away our hard earned money.
Buy American? At least Ford and Gm have quality control.
Anyway let’s see when I get me vehicle back tomorrow how it looks otherwise they can keep it.

I’m really hoping Rivian gets service right as I have high hopes for them. I’m seriously loosing faith in Tesla. I have two, X & 3, love them both, but not sure I can but another with how service and build quality appear to be getting worse as time go by.

It's really easy to get service right at first when you have a small fleet.

Didn't everyone gush over Tesla service until they started pushing out tons of model 3s?

Reactions: dcevelyn
Sad tales. My experience is very different. When I picked up my 3 in early June, we noticed a big tear in the drivers door panel. Asked to place a service request, left a picture of the defect with the SC, and 2 weeks later a service car came to my home and installed it. He apologized saying they had to order the part, which is why the 2 week delay
Happy!

I like these posts. Picking up a new car that has a gash in the door panel and the customer takes the car and waits two weeks for it to be fixed. And that’s deemed a great experience.