Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air intake filter - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn’t looked at it in months so I did today after giving the car a wash. I’d say the tape and screen are holding up… not super well. The tape I used, aluminum duct sealing tape, is not adhering well anymore. Probably should investigate something different. The foam around the intake does keep things pretty well in place though. It was also clear to see that water can easily get into the air intake and the screen had kept some debris out.
I got gutter screen from Home Depot cut to shape of intake and edged it with weather stripping. Works. To keep water out RPMTesla.com just introduced this. Model 3 & Y Under-Hood Rain Deflector Upgrade

Reactions: ss71 and Rmchrger
either of you have an update on how the tape is holding up securing the aluminum screen?
Like @ss71, I hadn't looked at mine since I installed it a year ago, so I just went out now and pulled off the cover and examined it. It's holding up perfectly. I was going to take a new picture to post but it looks identical to the one I already posted, so I won't bother.

The tape I used, aluminum duct sealing tape, is not adhering well anymore.

I used strong 3M double sided tape to hold the screen down before adding the aluminium tape. This might be why mine is adhering better.

Last edited:
Also available at the tropical river store. Prime for some.
Just another option. Looks to be the same. I have it, definitely stops the excess from my foam cannon.
This is the source, $22 but 1.5mo waiting.

Problem I have with this is that it will restrict direct air flow and make AC fan work harder sucking in more overheated air in from under the hood which will now only trickle in from the edges.

Thanks for the update guys. I decided to go another route (I saw it in the MY forum). This piece was trimmed to fit in the top of the box. It can be removed and washed or replaced. I bought the filter material (24x36x1) from home depot for less than $10 and can cut 6 to 8 from that material. It is not very constricting (only MERV 4). I'll just have to check it in a few months to make sure it doesn't get too dirty
2892A617-BC48-4E10-B14C-D647A3B31A07.jpeg

24x36x1 filter link

MY thread link showing how dirty it can get.

Thanks for the update guys. I decided to go another route (I saw it in the MY forum). This piece was trimmed to fit in the top of the box. It can be removed and washed or replaced. I bought the filter material (24x36x1) from home depot for less than $10 and can cut 6 to 8 from that material. It is not very constricting (only MERV 4). I'll just have to check it in a few months to make sure it doesn't get too dirty
View attachment 835216

24x36x1 filter link

MY thread link showing how dirty it can get.
This is what I did with mine. Works well.

The Model 3 doesn't come with an air intake filter, but there are after-market options to add one.

(Not talking about the internal cabin; talking about an additional filter to go on top of the air intake under the hood in the front.)

Is it worth adding one?

It wasn't engineered to have one, or else it would come equipped and be available for replacement as OEM, so I'm wondering if it's a waste, if there's a downside to adding a potential restriction point...

Thoughts?
If the external filter gets wet, you will be breathing in the mold.

If a filter in that area of the car was needed, wouldn’t Tesla have included it with the car?

There is a screen where the intake air passes through the firewall. Debris does accumulate there and needs to be occasionally cleaned out. It is a lot easier and more effective to have the screen at the top of the duct though. Since my post #14 in this thread, I've also added some minimally restrictive filtering material from Home Depot trimmed to lay on top of my homemade screen. (Web 4 in. x 12 in. Vent Filters (12-Pack) WVENT)

Reactions: insaneoctane
If a filter in that area of the car was needed, wouldn’t Tesla have included it with the car?
Most here are NOT impressed with Tesla's AC/filter/smell design/solution and are looking for improvements. I just replaced my in cabin filters and before I cleaned my evaporater coils, I saw some debris. Bugs, leaves/seeds, etc. I vacuumed the box out (not easy). They came in through the vent in question. I'm choosing to improve on Tesla's design based off my experience.

I had one of these. Then I measured airflow from my vents with an anemometer. I immediately removed it. The restriction was significant - about 20% as I recall - and restricting airflow on a system not designed for it is never a good idea.
Yikes. I installed one of those screens also, thinking it would keep out bigger debris and not restrict air flow to any meaningful extent. Thanks for finding out I was wrong. I'll remove it.

This would be the right type of material for an intake filter since it won’t stay wet and won’t restrict airflow, but still stop more debris than those covers with holes. Plus you could easily rinse it out.

Duraflow Filtration Mobile Home Foam Filter - 19 x 35 x 1/4 - Compatible with Coleman (Model # 7660-3401, 7660-340 and Nordyne (Model # 669073 & 669073R) - (1 Pack) Amazon.com: Duraflow Filtration Mobile Home Foam Filter - 19 x 35 x 1/4 - Compatible with Coleman (Model # 7660-3401, 7660-340 and Nordyne (Model # 669073 & 669073R) - (1 Pack): Home & Kitchen
How did you secure this in place on the intake opening?

Has anyone had their aircon / ventilation system fail as a result of installing one of these intake filters?

I'm thinking of installing the more 'lite' Farmogo filter which claims around 90% air flow.
Farmogo works very well and doesn’t restrict. I also have the after market full water deflector under the frunk hood that doesn’t allow water to get to the air intake.

Reactions: dspwhite
Farmogo works very well and doesn’t restrict. I also have the after market full water deflector under the frunk hood that doesn’t allow water to get to the air intake.

Thanks. If I buy the Farmogo, is the deflector definitely a necessary purchase too, or do you think the light-weight filter will dry out quickly after aircon usage, even if it does get a bit damp due to the rain sometimes?

Thanks. If I buy the Farmogo, is the deflector definitely a necessary purchase too, or do you think the light-weight filter will dry out quickly after aircon usage, even if it does get a bit damp due to the rain sometimes?
I would get the deflector and not allow intake filter to get wet. I can literally spray water all over my windshield when I’m washing the car and nothing at inlet gets wet😀

I can also confirm the under hood water deflector works well. I also used to put a air filter over the intake but now I just use the water deflector. It's been 1 year and 9 months since Tesla cleaned my AC and changed the cabin filters, AC still smelling great (touch wood).

Disclaimer: your mileage may very, I'm located in Sydney where it's generally considered pretty dry, but my AC started smelling after 1 year of ownership before the inlet filter/deflector was installed.

Incase it's not clear what the deflector is:

/Edit, don't get any of those premium or branded deflectors, just get it from AliExpress, they're all the same.

I can also confirm the under hood water deflector works well. I also used to put a air filter over the intake but now I just use the water deflector. It's been 1 year and 9 months since Tesla cleaned my AC and changed the cabin filters, AC still smelling great (touch wood).

Disclaimer: your mileage may very, I'm located in Sydney where it's generally considered pretty dry, but my AC started smelling after 1 year of ownership before the inlet filter/deflector was installed.

Incase it's not clear what the deflector is:

/Edit, don't get any of those premium or branded deflectors, just get it from AliExpress, they're all the same.
Interesting modification. I have frunk weather striping and like the video, if I install the deflector i'm concerned little air can get to the intake for AC or heat.

Reactions: retbesla