Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that just came out yesterday is that AB only ever agreed to 600 trucks, not the 800 that Nikola has been quoting this entire time.

The agreement between the two companies states that Anheuser-Busch gets priority of delivery for as much as 20% of Nikola’s initial “production line of Class 8 vehicles.” To get production going by 2023, Nikola must work to have dedicated equipment in Anheuser Busch’s breweries and distribution centers by the end of 2021, according to the deal terms. Anheuser-Busch only agreed to use at least 600 trucks -- the 800 figure, according to the document, is an estimate of what the brewer will need.

Nikola’s History of Discrepancies Has Been in Plain Sight

Somewhat relatedly, the Nikola Tre has absolutely no orders on the books...which seems a bit odd considering how close to production they supposedly are:

Russell said no orders have been taken yet for the Nikola Tre, the battery-electric model with a range of 300 miles, “but we will.”

Nikola Sets Truck Production Schedule, Envisions Autonomous Model

That was in relation to the difficulties they would face at the same time with the Model 3 production ramp, it wasn't really about acquiring SolarCity in and of itself. In other words if the Model 3 ramp had gone reasonably well Elon would not have had the same opinion. Since you could not have known in advance the problems they would have ramping Model 3 your objection the the SolarCity merger would not have been the same as Elon's reasons today in hindsight.

So you're saying that I made the right call for different reasons than Musk would make the same call as I did today?

1) Where did I state my reasons? I didn't.

2) I bought TSLA in 2011 because I saw the potential Model S success. Since TSLA is up today for reasons other than Model S, does that mean I have to give the money back? Buying TSLA was still right right call.

GM will never supply these parts as the vehicle will never be made.

Agreed.

Another theory...maybe GM saw the fraud as Trevor approach them and the deal was the best way to expose it. Announcing publicly GM was suppling the batteries and the fuel cell really exposed all the fraudulent statements Trevor has made over the recent years.

I actually have hard time believing GM would actually take the time and effort to do this but it definitely will deflate the Nikola stock bubble. At the same time GM risked their reputation as they appear they did not do due diligence.

You can't see the future so whatever your reasons they would not have been Model 3 production hell, which is the only reason Musk said in hindsight he would have done it differently. So Musk in hindsight did not agree with your reasoning for opposing it at that time.

No one can see the future exactly, but it didn't take a genius in Aug 2016 to see that Tesla should not distract itself with Solar City just 6 months after the Model 3 unveil and needing to build hundreds of thousands of cars by 2017, as they had just promised and with announced reservation counts.

And like I said, I made the right call - the same call Elon himself wishes he had made. Whatever the reasons.

• Disagree
Reactions: donauker and kbM3
Bit funny that "blue-eyed" scandis (PowerCell AB) see immediately trough Milton's BS, but the old foxes; Bosch and GM don't. They will end up burnt similarly as Worthington Industries and Brayton Energy, but larger scale. Hindenburg Research report should save some money, time (and pain) from them, but let see how it goes.

I just saw a snippet from, I believe, Hyperchange, where a significant question/rhetorical comment was along the lines of “I can’t believe the media, who were so critical for so long about Tesla, have been completely silent about or positive towards Nikola”.

I think this bears consideration. What this phenomenon appears to me to be is that Tesla, as the vanguard that has maintained and enhanced its pole position for so long - with a commensurately successful time in the investment world - has so scarred the news/commentator universe that they are truly gun shy. Whether it is Nikola or Rivian or Bollinger or Lucid or AudieWhizBangAlaskanTeraMotors - Tesla’s battle-proven success provides cover to all others, deserving or not.

I’m crowdfunding a few tens of billions for AWBATMotors. Invest now and make yer fortune!

and to respond to AudyB (@AudubonB)as far as the SPAC resurgence...

i don’t have a lot of thoughts on it, really. but i did think about it for a couple days. i didn’t get too deep into the legal/structure aspect, as one can argue about any type of legal structure or corporation, how its run, who takes the fall, who takes the credit, who becomes the bag holders, etc.

it’s one thing to ban the chinese SPACs as they seemed to have a higher percentage of fraud.

it’s another to dismantle the ones involved in the current trend. Investment banking did this to themselves. and make no bones about it, it’s a war for dollars, so they will respond in kind, and have, to spacs and direct listings.

and for example...one of chamath palihipitaya‘a spac’s may indeed turn out to be a dud, one may persevere and provide the avenue to success for a legit startup to turn into a game changing company. it’s still caveat emptor as krug/lodger/jrp or one of them stated in the main thread. but id have more faith in CPs spacs per se, at least from the seemingly authentic manner in which he aspires to allocate his capital...than some of the others. although i haven’t thrown a $ at any of them. just saying. in other words, this current trend has to play out a bit more.

do we immediately judge/suspend them, by outweighing the potential good, with the obvious bad, in such short order? would/do the legit spacs provide a better avenue of success than the typical Inv Bank route? who will have the better track record of identifying and nurturing these startups in an economic and efficient way?

probably need a bit more time to tell. until then, like the old school avenue, there will be some potholes along the way with spacs as well

Last edited:
Peter Rawlinson, CEO of Lucid, made some comments on the record that, while not naming Nikola, do make the reader infer just that:
Lucid CEO Chimes In On Allegations Against Electric Truck Maker Nikola, Tesla ‘Production Hell’

“Because of Tesla's success, it has now spawned a whole phalanx of startup wannabes. And the media can’t discern between these. And it makes me quite cross really that some of those are going to market with exorbitant valuations and they have nothing. No technology.

“I've never seen any evidence of their battery technology. I should know. Part of my repertoire is battery engineering.

“The problem is that some of these other companies, who really have nothing, do a disservice to this movement. I'm motivated because I want mankind to move to a sustainable mobility model urgently. I think we cannot wait because the environment is really suffering.

Agreed.

Another theory...maybe GM saw the fraud as Trevor approach them and the deal was the best way to expose it. Announcing publicly GM was suppling the batteries and the fuel cell really exposed all the fraudulent statements Trevor has made over the recent years.

I actually have hard time believing GM would actually take the time and effort to do this but it definitely will deflate the Nikola stock bubble. At the same time GM risked their reputation as they appear they did not do due diligence.
The individual responsible for taking $NKLA public via his SPAC used to sit on $GM's board...He introduced $NKLA to $GM....$GM i bet never did any DD based on that individual's 'street cred'.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I just saw a snippet from, I believe, Hyperchange, where a significant question/rhetorical comment was along the lines of “I can’t believe the media, who were so critical for so long about Tesla, have been completely silent about or positive towards Nikola”.

I think this bears consideration. What this phenomenon appears to me to be is that Tesla, as the vanguard that has maintained and enhanced its pole position for so long - with a commensurately successful time in the investment world - has so scarred the news/commentator universe that they are truly gun shy. Whether it is Nikola or Rivian or Bollinger or Lucid or AudieWhizBangAlaskanTeraMotors - Tesla’s battle-proven success provides cover to all others, deserving or not.

I’m crowdfunding a few tens of billions for AWBATMotors. Invest now and make yer fortune!

Personally I think it is the other way around. Long-time Tesla bashers have been so happy to have a new "Tesla killer" they thought might challenge Tesla in part of its business -- or at least was a new source of FUD -- that they didn't scrutinize it much, even though red flags about Nikola have been circulated all over social media for months now.