Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must say that, after listening to the call, I have dialed back my expectations of fraud. Sure, there are red flags all over and Trevor gives every indication of being a con, but the reality seems to be that they have ignored first principals and just want to believe. For example, to them getting the 3.5 cents per kWh is just a matter of wheeling and dealing. There is no concern for what the bottom line price of generation is. They don’t know and don’t care: that’s the problem of whoever they partner with.
Why do you say that when the business model is to lease trucks for a fixed price including fuel?

Uh oh, Valueact just disclosed that they liquidated their entire 5.6% stake in Nikola on July 31. Odd thing to do - they were constantly on CNBC etc claiming Nikola will be a $100B company..
The pump didn’t work. The dump is on.

I was suspicious at first, but it appears T&C does have an extradition treaty with the US.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Barron's - hour ago: Nikola Stock Is Sinking Because of What Management Said — and Didn’t Say — On Its First Earnings Call

Excerpt:

But Nikola management didn't announce any customers for the battery-powered electric truck, due in 2021. (Nikola's battery-powered heavy-duty truck will be released before the fuel cell-powered version.) They didn't announce a manufacturing partner for the Badger light pickup truck. They didn't provide a firm Badger reservation number either. And management didn't announce any partnerships for hydrogen filling station construction.

There wasn't a lot for investors to dig into.

"Is this all we get," JPMorgan analyst Paul Coster joked with management early in the Q&A session, following management's prepared remarks.

"You have to trust us," Nikola CEO Mark Russell quipped. He says there is more going on than what is contained in news releases. But, Russell prefers to keep things confidential for now.

I could not see any manipulations although some of the logo work on the walls looks photoshopped. If you are able to point out the manipulations I think it can make for a very interesting, I mean extremely interesting twitter thread.

There is software that will process a picture and point out likely photo-shopping. There are free examples available. I don't believe any picture I see, unless I trust the source, so I don't have a current app.

Edit: I don't trust a lot of the photos I take, I'm that skeptical.

Why do you say that when the business model is to lease trucks for a fixed price including fuel?
I did not say they should not be concerned, I said they weren't concerned. By "concern" I mean they gave no meaningful indication as to how the price would be achieved, other than by cutting deals. There was no indication that they had even considered what would be required to achieve that low of a price. Just "well, if you buy outside of peak demand its cheaper." Wow, that's a deep insight. (Not, for the sarcasm impaired.)

In short, they evidenced no understanding of the feasibility of their business plan. Which should be concerning for anyone thinking of investing in them. But if you really want to get a run down on red flags there's some thorough work on that on youtube and twitter.

This is going to get very OT, but we need help.
Nikola should not be mentioned in this thread. Yes I agree it is amusing that the only reason Nikola Stock is more than a penny is that Trevor developed a great plan (in my opinion). The plan was to attach a/his stock to TSLA/Tesla. He was and is a genius for the understanding of the market retail investors. At first I feel like he was just willing to live on bread crumbs by having "investors" think of Nikola as possibly being like TSLA. He did this by making some magic potion that would be the next big clean fuel, AND by name-dropping Elon Musk and Tesla at every opportunity. In that way when people searched for Tesla the search would be sprinkled with Nikola and Trevor's magic bus. And investors are not any brighter than they average moron so many of them believed Trevor. Some even were less bright, and consider Nikola to have something special.
But where Trevor made his fortune was when TSLA shares became so expensive that the average person couldn't stomach/afford to buy such an "expensive" stock So they looked harder at Nikola. And well someone said Shakespeare said Caesar said, "A fool believes what they wanna believe." And so fools feel like what Trevor touts is the truth because if it is they have bought the next Tesla.
Trevor has played his game well, especially by suing Tesla, but without TSLA doing the 6x thing Nikola would not be considered as a viable company/stock. And that is the only reason it should be mentioned on a Tesla Forum, nevermind mentioned in this thread.

I have never wanted to censor a single person but I would dearly love if this board had the ability to allow group censoring. It would go something like this...
Along with the list of choices like giving a thumbs up to a post there should/could be a "Hammer" symbol. And each reader could hit the hammer if the post was OT.
After 10 hammers the content of the post is not shown to the reader. If a reader values what the member usually posts then they have the option to click within the post itself and expand it so they may read it. After 20 hammers it disappears completely.
haha you can't hammer this post...yet
Nice job mentioning them 7 times in your own post. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: lafrisbee and GOVA
Effects of COVID-19
Throughout the unprecedented disruption caused by COVID-19, Nikola’s management team has strived to advance its mission of achieving zero-emission transportation while maintaining the health and safety of our employees. The global pandemic caused disruption in Nikola’s supply chain, but mitigation efforts are underway to reduce the resulting risk to production timelines. At this time, we believe Nikola’s long-term objectives will be materially unaffected by COVID-19.

What supply chain lol

empty building.jpg

Manufacturing Facility? You mean empty building?

CGI to the rescue once again :D:rolleyes:

Indeed, some games are being played today. Some hot money may be temporarily transferring out of TSLA and into a host of companies reporting earnings this afternoon, including NKLA. :rolleyes:

After that, I wouldn’t be surprised if the media soon trot out ARK’s Cathie Wood to update her comparison between NKLA and TSLA. :cool:
I won't waste the time listening to their "earnings" (sic) call, but I take it things did not go well:

NASDAQ: NKLA
38.84 USD +2.35 (6.44%)
Closed: Aug. 4, 7:59 p.m. EDT
After hours 32.05 −6.79 (17.48%)

I won't waste the time listening to their "earnings" (sic) call, but I take it things did not go well:

NASDAQ: NKLA
38.84 USD +2.35 (6.44%)
Closed: Aug. 4, 7:59 p.m. EDT
After hours 32.05 −6.79 (17.48%)

No longer allowed to talk about NKLA in the main thread, but I did listen to the call. The badger rant was very cringy, and the pictures of and comments about Ulm Germany are also very worrying. As of today, Nikola basically has a muddy field, an empty building, and ~$700M to make this business work, and that's it....

You can check my most recent 6 tweets for a little bit more commentary:

https://twitter.com/FrankPeelen

Reactions: Todesbuckler
No longer allowed to talk about NKLA in the main thread, but I did listen to the call. The badger rant was very cringy, and the pictures of and comments about Ulm Germany are also very worrying. As of today, Nikola basically has a muddy field and an empty building, and that's it....

Gave you a follow Frank!

Reactions: FrankSG
No longer allowed to talk about NKLA in the main thread, but I did listen to the call. The badger rant was very cringy, and the pictures of and comments about Ulm Germany are also very worrying. As of today, Nikola basically has a muddy field, an empty building, and ~$700M to make this business work, and that's it....

Almost seems like Trevor is going to end up on an episode of "American Greed" after this charade plays out.

Reactions: FrankSG
He has admitted in at least a couple of interviews that he knows fuel cells aren't an energy efficient as BEVs, but that's not his goal. His goal is to have something that's a) clean and b) cheaper than diesel.

Of course, he then says things like "we're already cheaper than diesel," and I keep wishing the interviewer would ask him to show us this clean cheap hydrogen that Nikola has "already" produced. But, as the tweet I posted above shows, the TSLAQ crowd like TeslaCharts doesn't ever challenge him on anything, unlike Tesla where they challenge even the things that visible to everyone.

BTW, I do feel discussing NKLA is relevant since the founder keeps comparing to TSLA and says Tesla is wrong to be pursuing BEVs for semi-trucks and will fail. Discrediting such falsehoods about Tesla and TSLA is well within this thread's charter.
I think it's pretty clear what TSLAQ is up to. They are short TSLA and need to throw as much FUD around as they can to try to make enough people think it's going to fail in order to drive down the stock price. They are also going to short NKLA but they already know that Trevor is full of it and it's going to fail on its own. So they are praising it to pump the stock as high as they can to maximize their initial short position. Then they'll stand back and watch the whole thing collapse as they profit.