Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It says the UK is in competition with Serbia and at least one other European country.

A couple of years ago I made a joke listing of preferred sites for Tesla European Gigafactory that listed countries where war was most likely inside Europe including Serbia.

Serbia is not even inside the EU yet, although it might join as early as 2025.

At least Romania and Bulgaria are inside the EU.

Has Rivian ever talked about their batteries or pack at an engineering level? Down to the cell chemistry level? I'm not aware of what Rivian does vs what they farm out. How vertically integrated are they?

Edit: Looked their careers site and they have open positions that would appear they are engineering at the cell level: https://rivian.com/careers?search=Battery

Last edited:
Has Rivian ever talked about their batteries or pack at an engineering level? Down to the cell chemistry level? I'm not aware of what Rivian does vs what they farm out. How vertically integrated are they?

Edit: Looked their careers site and they have open positions that would appear they are engineering at the cell level: https://rivian.com/careers?search=Battery

Back when Rivian came out of stealth mode the differentiator in their pack was that it cools the cells axially instead of radially giving it higher volumetric energy density.

AFAIK Rivian is buying standard 2170 Samsung cells. Every automaker says they are working in close cooperation with the cell makers giving them a unique chemistry. Unlikely IMO.

Rivian says they have ambitions to manufacture their own cells in the future. Their hiring of materials/battery scientist currently is to monitor the current space and what may be coming in the immediate future. Not to work on unique cells they plan to manufacture in their own factories in the immediate future.

BTW It seems most cell makers offer standard pouch and prismatic cells as well as Tesla cylindrical sizes. If you want something different it will cost extra. That is what Peter Rawlinson said anyways.

1639189587167.png

I think this is a mistake on Rivian's part. They need to get Factory One up and running smoothly before building another one. Running too soon will just compound the learning process and make things harder for them. I worked in manufacturing for over 30 years and we always waited to build additional lines until we'd ironed out the kinks in the initial line.

I think this is a mistake on Rivian's part. They need to get Factory One up and running smoothly before building another one. Running too soon will just compound the learning process and make things harder for them. I worked in manufacturing for over 30 years and we always waited to build additional lines until we'd ironed out the kinks in the initial line.

This is not a mistake on Rivian's part.

People (especially legacy OEM executives) have always told Tesla to slow down and be less ambitious.

There is a land grab for market share going on. IF Rivian doesn't plant its flag of 10% US BEV market share ASAP they will be destined to be the electric Land Rover.

With the $Bs invested the plan is to be a major OEM not a boutique OEM.

Suppliers won't be manufacturing factory equipment for this new plant for at least 2 years. Plenty of time for Rivian to iron things out in Normal Illinois.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I think the R1T is a great truck, but how can they pick the 2022 Truck of the Year already when 2022 hasn't even started yet? Next year will see the EV Hummer, the Cybertruck, and the F150 Lightning all coming out alongside the R1T. I mean the R1T isn't even available yet either, not until next Spring.

Seems a tad premature....

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark
I think the R1T is a great truck, but how can they pick the 2022 Truck of the Year already when 2022 hasn't even started yet? Next year will see the EV Hummer, the Cybertruck, and the F150 Lightning all coming out alongside the R1T. I mean the R1T isn't even available yet either, not until next Spring.

Seems a tad premature....

New "model year" typically starts in August.

As long as the vehicle is available for testing it qualifies. It must be substantially new.

If Cybertruck and E Silverado are available for testing next ~November they will qualify for 2023 Truck of the Year. Ford Lightning should already be shipping and qualified for 2023 Truck of the Year.

The rules have been around since forever.

Rivian Q3 results are out. Rivian has plenty of cash.
"As of September 30, 2021, we had a cash and cash equivalents balance of $5.2 billion. If the net proceeds from our IPO of $13.5 billion and net proceeds from our senior secured floating rate notes of $1.2 billion had been received on that date, our September 30, 2021 balance of cash and cash equivalents would have been $19.9 billion."