Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian is going to sell slightly modified (right hand drive) chassis skateboards to EAVX / Morgan Olson for use in Canadian postal delivery step vans.

Rivian extends its reach into the commercial vehicle space, enters partnership with JBPCO
Nice to see an EV manufacturer really catering to the fleet market. I wish Tesla would create a separate division to do this. Fleets need smaller batteries but generate higher emissions per mile travelled due to idling. Police cars and ambulances are the worst for idling.

I do get frustrated at Tesla for not expanding as quickly as the market demand is. Elon appears to have an engineers sensibility of wanting to get everything as efficient as possible. Hopefully after they’ve figured out the unboxed process they can open the floodgates of factories and models?

Reactions: KJD and MD70
Nice to see an EV manufacturer really catering to the fleet market. I wish Tesla would create a separate division to do this. Fleets need smaller batteries but generate higher emissions per mile travelled due to idling. Police cars and ambulances are the worst for idling.

I do get frustrated at Tesla for not expanding as quickly as the market demand is. Elon appears to have an engineers sensibility of wanting to get everything as efficient as possible. Hopefully after they’ve figured out the unboxed process they can open the floodgates of factories and models?
The Rivian chassis has a 100kWh LFP pack, so it's going to handle a decent sized route, even in Canadian winters.

After they solve unboxing, they'll probably have extra resources, but to be clear, unboxing is nearly the complete opposite of two stage manufacturing. For that, you need a completely structurally independent rolling chassis that body builders can add to freely.

So, exactly how does a software update improve “…our roomy entry and exit experience?” I’d like some of that for my Model 3.

Easy entry- Tesla has had it for years- but many owners disable it since (at least back in 2018 when I got mine) it could not reliably maintain seat position and it would drift a bit over time.

Last edited:
So, exactly how does a software update improve “…our roomy entry and exit experience?” I’d like some of that for my Model 3.
This:
IMG_0922.jpeg

Easy entry- Tesla has had it for years- but many owners disable it since (at least back in 2018 when I got mine) it could not reliably maintain seat position and it would drift a bit over time.
Yes, thanks for the reminder. My 2018 Easy Entry still works well so happy about that. Without reading (or listening) closely, the Rivian announcement sounded like the exits get bigger with a software update. Really wanted to see that.

I don't think Ford has actually shipped adapters yet, certainly not all of them. People that have ordered have been given expected dates as far out as September.
Right. It's wild how long it is taking to build these adapters. How big is Ford's EV base anyways? 70,000? So maybe 10,000 a month are being made. I don't have enough experience in small manufacturing to know if that's a small or big number. Surely more than one manufacturer can be spun up by Tesla?

Is Tesla themselves manufacturing these? Anyone know?

Reactions: MP3Mike
It's hardly a moot point, there are third party adapters. This is very good news for Rivian owners.
You can buy third party adapters that work from A2Z and Lectron. I have the A2Z one.
Ordered one from A2Z today ($167.45 US, shipped), we’ll see how soon it’ll get delivered.

Tom from SoC YT channel with positive review:

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: