TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

All-Season Tires for Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by fallen888, Sep 24, 2016.

1. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

What are some of the best rated, highly recommended all-season tires for a Model S with the basic 19" rims?

I'm not looking to race, but I'd like quiet tires with good traction which can handle Philly winters.

I've searched around and see a lot of content on winter, summer tires, but not all-season (or I'm blind).

I've heard Michelins are good, but otherwise I'm clueless when it comes to tires.

Thanks in advance.

2. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

In my opinion, after 8 years in Colorado, and 3 years in British Columbia, driving thousands of miles on snow and ice every winter, Nokian are the best you can get. I decided to go with the Nokian WR3 tires this year because I am not driving on snow full time, just for ski trips. These tires have the higher speed rating and all season performance (better wet and dry than dedicated snows) but still out perform many snow tires AND carry the extreme weather rating to allow travel on roads that require chains or traction tires.

When I lived in Canada and drove on snow 4 months out of the year I used the Nokian Hakkepelita snow tires and they were outstanding.

Cheers,

Noah

• Like x 1
  3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Hard to go wrong with Nokian. I use the WR-g3 as my winter tires on a separate set of wheels. If I lived further north, I'd use R2 or X-Ice. The idea behind a separate set of wheels is that winter wheels take a beating, especially in areas of heavy salt use, so there's no good reason to mess up your good summer wheels.

4. gerti

gerti Member

I think compared to the Michelin Primacy the Nokian's might be superior on snow and ice, but at the cost of dry and wet performance. Here in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, I am much more likely to drive on dry or wet streets than on ice or snow (excellent snow cleanup), and there is a fair bit of highway driving. So I'd rather not compromise on the dry/wet performance. So far the factory installed Michelin Primacy's have performed well all season, though the last winter was relatively mild.

5. fallen888

Yeah, I'm not focusing on winter tires. I'm interested in a good all-season tire. 90%+ is just dry/wet, not a huge amount of snow and ice (not anything like Canada or Colorado).

6. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

I have had excellent results from the Continental Extreme Contact (19") all season tires. Got a great deal for them on Tire Rack. Highly rated (as an all season) for modest snow and ice. Tire has an aggressive tread but very low rolling resistance. Have actually seen an improvement in average Wh/mile. Has performed very well in all conditions so far, still haven't been through truly winter conditions. For the last two years I ran on the Michelin X-ice3 with very good results. Hoping to get away with the Continentals this year.

• Helpful x 1
  7. fallen888

Were they pretty quiet?

8. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

Yes. Very quiet.

• Like x 1
  9. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

I put the Pirelli Cinturato All Season+ tires on my S60 last November. They handle very well in dry, wet and light snow. They are rather quiet as well. They tramline like crazy on grooved pavement though. They make me nervous on grooved pavement especially if the weather is bad. They are very good tires with this significant compromise.

10. fallen888

Sorry, "tramline"?
    Tremble?

11. iffatall

iffatall Member

I think may be he means the groves forcefully guide the car along them. Like a tram goes on its rail.

12. hikerockies

hikerockies Member

• Helpful x 1