Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All the right adaptors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J1772 is the most popular but just be advised most are fairly slow I generally only get 14 miles an hour maybe a little better off of most of those. I picked up a chademo adapter just because if I happen across one they are much faster they "can" charge up to about 150 miles per hour which can make a huge difference if you're in an area that has some of them but does not have any available superchargers.

But as others have stated j1772 will just about cover it or if you plan on getting out in the Sticks you might take your mobile connector with you which would give you availability of Campground and RV hookups and such on 14-50 plugs.

In the US, all you really need is the J1772 adapter, and it comes with the car.
That's only true if you're only going to charge using public level 2 charging stations. If you're going to plug into any outlet, you need a UMC adapter. The car comes with NEMA 5-15 (usual household 120V outlet) and 14-50 (240V 50A outlet) adapters for the UMC.

What else may you need for the UMC? If you want to plug into a dryer outlet, then you need the 10-30 or 14-30 adapter, depending on the age of the dryer outlet. If you want to plug into a 20A 120V outlet, typically found in commercial locations, then you need the 5-20 adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
The only extra adapter I got that I use regularly is the 5-20 adapter. Those are pretty much everywhere and you get 25% faster charging (16A vs 12A) compared to the included 5-15.

I find the Chademo adapter pretty much useless for the routes I drive... never use it, not even on road trips.

I reccommend picking up the 5-20 adapter and trying the suite that comes with the car for a few months on the routes that you travel/drive.

For me, I use the J1772 (included) daily, the 5-20 adapter (extra) once or so a week, supercharging once or so a week (weekends/Trips), and destination chargers and the 5-15 (included) rarely (on trips).

I haven’t used my NEMA 14-50 (included) yet (mainly because I don’t have a place at home to plug in), though I hear these can be found at most decent RV parks in a pinch.

most dryer outlets are already Nema 14-50. Take a picture if its otherwise and we can recommend an adapter that would work with your car. I also quickly looked on plugshare for tacoma WA and you have ALOT of public options. Dont go crazy on adapters as for the most part you wont even need them.

Start with the UMC that comes with your Tesla. That comes with the 5-15(normal outlet), 14-50(normal dryer outlet and RV), and the J1772 adapter(most public level 2 charging). Depending on your driving, the 5-15 may be enough, that gives you 3 miles per hour. 14-50 gives you about 29 miles per hour at 40 amp. j1772 about 19 miles per hour at 30amp.

you're better off getting signed up for the major charging networks and get their free plans and RFID cards-chargepoint, blink, evgo

Don't panic before you get the car. Enjoy the process of learning all the nuances of EV Tesla driving and smile as you drive pass lines at the gas stations.

The only extra adapter I got that I use regularly is the 5-20 adapter. Those are pretty much everywhere and you get 25% faster charging (16A vs 12A) compared to the included 5-15.

I find the Chademo adapter pretty much useless for the routes I drive... never use it, not even on road trips.

I reccommend picking up the 5-20 adapter and trying the suite that comes with the car for a few months on the routes that you travel/drive.

For me, I use the J1772 (included) daily, the 5-20 adapter (extra) once or so a week, supercharging once or so a week (weekends/Trips), and destination chargers and the 5-15 (included) rarely (on trips).

I haven’t used my NEMA 14-50 (included) yet (mainly because I don’t have a place at home to plug in), though I hear these can be found at most decent RV parks in a pinch.

What's the 5-20 most commonly used with?

most dryer outlets are already Nema 14-50. Take a picture if its otherwise and we can recommend an adapter that would work with your car. I also quickly looked on plugshare for tacoma WA and you have ALOT of public options. Dont go crazy on adapters as for the most part you wont even need them.

Start with the UMC that comes with your Tesla. That comes with the 5-15(normal outlet), 14-50(normal dryer outlet and RV), and the J1772 adapter(most public level 2 charging). Depending on your driving, the 5-15 may be enough, that gives you 3 miles per hour. 14-50 gives you about 29 miles per hour at 40 amp. j1772 about 19 miles per hour at 30amp.

you're better off getting signed up for the major charging networks and get their free plans and RFID cards-chargepoint, blink, evgo

Don't panic before you get the car. Enjoy the process of learning all the nuances of EV Tesla driving and smile as you drive pass lines at the gas stations.
Dryer outlets are 14-30 or if it's an older installation, 10-30.

They look like this:

p104784d.jpg

For our road trips to areas without Supercharging (East Coast of Canada) I took along a CHAdeMO which we used to advantage once at a Nissan dealership when high wind sucked down our planned range. I packed along every known adapter and tools to make connections to any 240VAC circuit. Welding circuits are common at farms if you really get stuck. I also purchased a second J1772 as the risk of leaving one behind was always in my mind.

These adapters are all small so they can stay in the frunk and the CHAdeMO is lent to neighbours when they go on road trips with their Model S. One CHAdeMO adapter per neighbourhood is enough.

5-20 is basically the same as the 5-15 outlet that you have at home and plug... everything into. 5-20s are compatible with 5-15 plugs, and are generally the standard outlet used in commercial applications (whereas most residential installations use 5-15).

They are usually wired up with larger wire and can handle more current than the standard 5-15 outlets. The 5-20 adapter has one sideways blade that will fit into the 5-20 outlets, but not a 5-15 outlet (the 5-15 will fit in both, but pull 25% less power).

most dryer outlets are already Nema 14-50.
No, most dryer outlets are not NEMA 14-50. In fact I've never heard of any dryer outlet being a NEMA 14-50. Dryers are 30A, so they're either NEMA 10-30 outlets (older houses) or NEMA 14-30 outlets (newer houses).

I think the confusion comes from people in the US referring to a 240V outlet as a "dryer outlet" because that's the only 240V outlet they've ever seen, so when they hear about plugging a Tesla into a 240V outlet they think "dryer outlet". Yes, you can use one, but that's not what Tesla recommends (it's slower than a 14-50) and the adapter doesn't come with the car.

Reactions: boaterva
Yeah, that would be one heck of a dryer.... I also have the 10-30 and 14-30.... my house is just old enough to have the 10-30 and the two dryer plugs are useful if you go places that are away from Superchargers but have dryers near where you park (rental houses at the beach, etc.).

Another one that can be useful if you are near marinas a lot is the converter from the 50 Amp boat power feed to a 14-50:
NEMA 14-50R to 50A Locking (CS6369) Adapter

EVSE Adapters also has good 14-50 extension cords, including one that works directly with 14-30 and 14-60 sockets.

Remember if you use their other adapters (which I recommend), that you need to tell your car to only max charge what it says on the adapter (usually 24 Amps, since most are for 30 Amp sockets). The UMC does this automatically for you, the adapters have no way to 'tell' it that it's on a reduced maximum circuit using the 14-50.

A good plug/socket reference:
NEMA Straight Blade Reference Chart