Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost CRACKED MY SCREEN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another good reason not to have cup holders at all. I would far prefer closed storage in their place. I have never seen the need to drink while on the move, not even with inter city travel. You need to stop and rest every two hours anyway, and probably with the Tesla, recharge - both the car and yourself.

I think the bigger concern is...using the screen (even for a second) while doing over 70mph. You're lucky the most you had to worry about was damage to your screen and not other human beings. I'm usually not one to lecture because I'm a grownup and hate when people lecture me, but dude...
I'm with Btrfly on this one.

70mph-75mph ... scrolling through the media to find ABC News ...
Climate controls? Sure. Close the sunroof if it's raining? Sure. Using the browser and scrolling -- OMG.

I assume he was scrolling through the internet radio stations for ABC news, not using the browser (heck, you could travel between cities waiting on the browser!). People wreck and have near-wrecks all the time where fiddling with the radio, whether it's on a touch screen or ye-olde radio tuning knobs. Let's not get to judgy, we all do daft things sometimes, and we hopefully learn from it and move on, the point of this thread was to share the experience, not to be put on trial.

I assume he was scrolling through the internet radio stations for ABC news, not using the browser (heck, you could travel between cities waiting on the browser!). People wreck and have near-wrecks all the time where fiddling with the radio, whether it's on a touch screen or ye-olde radio tuning knobs. Let's not get to judgy, we all do daft things sometimes, and we hopefully learn from it and move on, the point of this thread was to share the experience, not to be put on trial.
The point of the forum is to politely share information and opinions. I'm glad the story was shared but the premise terrifies me.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Glad your screen was okay, OP!

I also bought the Abstract Ocean screen protector (haven't installed it yet, but after reading this thread I think I will!) I just love that they offer different types of protectors, like ones that reduce glare or reduce fingerprint visibility.

Also....apparently you can get the same cupholder cinchers on ebay.

Dorman Cup Holder Insert Front Fits 02 09 Bravada Envoy Trailblazer | eBay

I've just ordered one and hopefully it will fit! (will report back)

Last weekend I had a bottle of Arrowhead water in my cupholder and kept hearing the sound of plastic crinkling every few miles. At first I thought it was due to pressure changes during my trip to 12,000 ft, but it actually was the little tabs slowly crushing the bottle. Luckily, no leaks. If I had been taking a lot of little sips, the repeated trauma of moving the bottle in and out of the cupholder would probably have been fatal.

I'm with Btrfly on this one.

Climate controls? Sure. Close the sunroof if it's raining? Sure. Using the browser and scrolling -- OMG.

For the record, I was not using the web browser. ABC News is in the Internet Stations and wouldn't be any different from my pressing the buttons on any other car to switch radio stations. It was bad timing overall that at the point I looked down to press the ABC News button that an accident occurred just 100 yards ahead of me.

For the record, I was not using the web browser. ABC News is in the Internet Stations and wouldn't be any different from my pressing the buttons on any other car to switch radio stations. It was bad timing overall that at the point I looked down to press the ABC News button that an accident occurred just 100 yards ahead of me.
Whew. Thanks for the clarification. What did you mean by "scrolling"?
I was scrolling through the media to find ABC News on the screen

lloyd, can you give us an idea of the type of protection you chose? Looks like it really saved you a trip to Tesla.

Sure thing TylerCA. The product I picked up is Glareshield and I had it installed by Premiere Protection in Fremont (they also did the installation of my Photosynch tint). From my understanding, this film has some very unique features: anti-blue light (great for night time driving), cuts down on the glare (haven't noticed this to be much of a problem for me), and eliminates the fingerprint on my screen.

The fingerprints drove me crazy and it actually contributes to the glare if I have my display setting under 50% and I am using my reverse camera. For some reason the fingerprints were always driving me nuts. Since glare was never much of an issue for me, I can say that it did help with cutting whatever glare I could see especially on overcast reflections. The biggest plus and most positive experience for me was the protection that came with this. Now, I can't compare this to any other film out there, but if it took an impact from my coffee full stainless steel mug (20oz) and didn't leave a scratch or crack, this is a quality product. I will be bringing my car back into Premiere to get it replaced. I do not know if you can buy this on Amazon, but personally I will stick with this specific product.

5 Thumbs Up to Glareshield.

Sure thing TylerCA. The product I picked up is Glareshield and I had it installed by Premiere Protection in Fremont (they also did the installation of my Photosynch tint). From my understanding, this film has some very unique features: anti-blue light (great for night time driving), cuts down on the glare (haven't noticed this to be much of a problem for me), and eliminates the fingerprint on my screen.

The fingerprints drove me crazy and it actually contributes to the glare if I have my display setting under 50% and I am using my reverse camera. For some reason the fingerprints were always driving me nuts. Since glare was never much of an issue for me, I can say that it did help with cutting whatever glare I could see especially on overcast reflections. The biggest plus and most positive experience for me was the protection that came with this. Now, I can't compare this to any other film out there, but if it took an impact from my coffee full stainless steel mug (20oz) and didn't leave a scratch or crack, this is a quality product. I will be bringing my car back into Premiere to get it replaced. I do not know if you can buy this on Amazon, but personally I will stick with this specific product.

5 Thumbs Up to Glareshield.

Thanks. Scheduled for my wife to bring it to them next week. Will post after getting it put on.

I'm not sure what the charge is for installing this kind of thing, but they're honestly very easy to install, in about 10 mins with just a little care. Also the anti-blue light is a standard feature on many protectors, although there are some out there that exist solely for that purpose. I chose not to carry those, as they offered no other benefits, but all of my other protectors have the anti-blue feature.

I've tried installing the screen protector thingies on my iPad and I couldn't get it to come out perfectly. Couldn't imagine what it takes or what it would look like if I tried it myself. I'd rather pay someone to put it on correctly for me at this point and have some kind of guarantee that it will come out right with solid results. In my case, it worked out beautifully. I also need to make a correction, I just found out that Glareshield is made by the same company that makes Photosynch. So I'm sure it's a high quality product and the proof is in the pudding as I have no damage whatsoever on my screen from such a hard impact.

I've tried installing the screen protector thingies on my iPad and I couldn't get it to come out perfectly. Couldn't imagine what it takes or what it would look like if I tried it myself. I'd rather pay someone to put it on correctly for me at this point and have some kind of guarantee that it will come out right with solid results. In my case, it worked out beautifully. I also need to make a correction, I just found out that Glareshield is made by the same company that makes Photosynch. So I'm sure it's a high quality product and the proof is in the pudding as I have no damage whatsoever on my screen from such a hard impact.

That's fair enough. The only thing I would say is that the protectors for the center screen are (relatively) thick when compared to your typical phone/tablet screen protectors (as with anything, you can pay more and get a better product, but the typical '3 for $10" protectors are thin). So they 'drop' onto the screen quite easily, the angle of the center screen helps a lot with the application, compared to a phone which would likely be flat on a desk. There's still a knack, and of course I've been through dozens of these for testing and so on, so I have some practise, but most of my reviews mention how easy they are to apply. The key thing is no dust, and no dust-creators (dogs, kids, AC etc!).

I was on the 101S and cruising at 70mph-75mph about 7:30am. I was scrolling through the media to find ABC News on the screen, so I took my eyes off the road for about a second at the most. From my vertical periphery, I noticed red lights everywhere! I looked up immediately and saw that all cars were coming to a near standstill and I all I heard were screeching tires. I slammed on my brakes and my full stainless steel Peets coffee mug flew forward and smacked the screen with an ear crunching pop. I was able to come to a full stop without incident, but my touchscreen was wet with coffee. In my mind at this time, I just thought to myself "f**k!" and was sure that the screen had cracked based on how hard my mug hit that screen. Wiped everything up to search for the extent of the damage and found the point of contact. It felt bad, but I couldn't see it with all the coffee stain. I took the next freeway exit, pulled over and at this time, I had a bad feeling in my gut as I grabbed a towel from the frunk to clean everything.

To my holy sh*t surprise, there was no crack or nick in the screen! The screen protector I had protected it! I was so relieved. Had I not had a screen protector on there I am sure that my mug would have damaged the screen - absolutely no doubt about that. I've complained to service before about the cupholders in the Tesla. They are too shallow and they should not have taken out the tabs inside. I have the premium center console and the cupholders in there are too big, so it seems Tesla, at least for the cupholders, are either too small or too big. The earlier MSs had tabs in the cupholders, but Tesla decided to take them out for whatever reason. I wish they could bring it back.

I recommend you guys look into getting a screen protection kit for the Tesla because I can see this happening again with these loose cupholders.

I have heard many good things about Glareshield and the fingerprints have been driving us nuts. My wife uses a lot of lotion on her hands so our screen gets very splotchy. I met another gentleman at the charging station and he had Glareshield on his car and was nice enough to let us look at it. Even allowed my wife to touch the screen with her lotioned-up hands and there were no fingerprint residue, which was quite amazing. We will go and have it put onto our screen very soon because I cannot stand the prints. Thanks lloyds for pointing us in the right direction and appreciate the photos. Glad to see your screen is not damaged from that mug hit.