Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Altavista, VA: New Destination Charging location opening soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by for lunch (a delicious BBQ sandwich) and tested out all 4 chargers (3 Tesla HPWCs and one of the universal chargers). As of right now, the charge rate for the 3 Teslas is 48A (34 mi/hr charge rate) and the Universal charger is 32A. The team that installed the chargers stopped by while I was there and the foreman explained that there may be room to increase the amperage, but there wasn't much extra capacity in the breaker box for a larger circuit.
IMG_3484.png
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg

I stopped by for lunch (a delicious BBQ sandwich) and tested out all 4 chargers (3 Tesla HPWCs and one of the universal chargers). As of right now, the charge rate for the 3 Teslas is 48A (34 mi/hr charge rate) and the Universal charger is 32A. The team that installed the chargers stopped by while I was there and the foreman explained that there may be room to increase the amperage, but there wasn't much extra capacity in the breaker box for a larger circuit. View attachment 223426View attachment 223427View attachment 223428
The crew from Moore's did a fantastic job. Now that they have some experience with the equipment, future installs should be easier. I would highly recommend them for other Destination charging installations.

We stopped here twice last weekend on a trip from Charlottesville to Chapel Hill. Very friendly folks. Met Mike, the owner, who is a former high school science teacher and self-professed "Geek". Food (excellent sandwiches) came out lightning-quick and were well priced. They have a great beer/cider selection on tap, even if it is a bit over-priced. $7 for a pint of cider, yikes.

Charge rate on a dual charger is still capped at 48A.

fullsizeoutput_a8a.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
This is a nice stop along an otherwise deserted US-29 charging landscape. Now that I have my Model 3 I would like to (may have to) stop here. The only problem is that for our annual trip from the north, the timing is probably not going to work out well for us. We usually stop by Blue Mountain Brewery at 6-7pm (I've asked them to install a destination charger, but I think they just ignored me) for dinner. It would be pretty late if we kept driving on to Two Sisters.

Our route brings us down I-81 to Staunton and then down US-29, exiting onto NC-86 at Danville and then on down to Durham, NC. Currently the last Supercharger on that route is Mt. Jackson. That's 254 miles which is all of an 80% charge in ideal conditions. Would really be nice to stop somewhere for 1-1.5 hours and get a 40-50 mile boost, but what we really need is a Lynchburg supercharger.

This is a nice stop along an otherwise deserted US-29 charging landscape. Now that I have my Model 3 I would like to (may have to) stop here. The only problem is that for our annual trip from the north, the timing is probably not going to work out well for us. We usually stop by Blue Mountain Brewery at 6-7pm (I've asked them to install a destination charger, but I think they just ignored me) for dinner. It would be pretty late if we kept driving on to Two Sisters.

Our route brings us down I-81 to Staunton and then down US-29, exiting onto NC-86 at Danville and then on down to Durham, NC. Currently the last Supercharger on that route is Mt. Jackson. That's 254 miles which is all of an 80% charge in ideal conditions. Would really be nice to stop somewhere for 1-1.5 hours and get a 40-50 mile boost, but what we really need is a Lynchburg supercharger.

Couldn't you go to the Charlottesville supercharger? Just take 64 over to 29 from 81?

Couldn't you go to the Charlottesville supercharger? Just take 64 over to 29 from 81?

Yep, if I wanted to add 35 minutes to my already long day.

Another option would be to stay on I-81 until Lexington and take US-60 over to Lynchburg...but I've taken that road once, and while fun, it's not the fast way around, and I'm not sure I'd want to take it after already being on the road for about 12 hours.

I normally get off I-64 at Exit 99 take take US-250->VA-151->VA-6 to cut off a pretty large corner and avoid having to go all the way out to Charlottesville. Plus it's a beautiful drive.

Truth be told, unless there is some kind of compelling solution, I will likely just bite the bullet and go down eastern VA instead like GPS wants me to anyway. I really try to avoid getting anywhere near I-95, and while I can take US-17 to Fredericksburg and miss most of the heavy traffic, it is a much more pleasant drive along US-29.

Of course once Staunton SC opens, that changes the equation. 205 miles to home. Hopefully it's convenient to I-81/US-64.

You could always stop at ProReNata just up the road from Blue Mountain. They have a few HPWCs and the owner is very EV-friendly.

You could always stop at ProReNata just up the road from Blue Mountain. They have a few HPWCs and the owner is very EV-friendly.
Looks like a good place, but do they have food? I hate to sound like a whiner, but as much as I love good beer, on a 15 hour roadtrip, my primary objective while hanging out for an hour would be to have a nice dinner. At any rate, it's a good sign that at least some more establishments are taking up the torch.