Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazed at all the 'disappointment ' threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately all the cars shown were the $59,000 model not the $35k model

But what of the $24k above the $35k price is really necessary for a mass market electric car? The Motor Trend first drive gushed about the driving dynamics... likely shared with the base model, or not much difference. Paint? Wood surfaces? Glass roof? Bigger battery pack? We had always wanted a mass market $35k vehicle with 200+ miles of range and solid DCFC network. It's here, and Motor Trend just raved about how it drives. No one that knows cars raves about how the Bolt drives.

Ya lots of people expected basically nuclear fusion or something. So of course anything would be below expectations. Be realistic. Like why saying some higher range when it's posted as 215 for more than a year?

This is an amazing car. 310 mile range starting at just 44k!! Really no need to say anything else.

The one thing everyone can agree that Elon has perfected is the art of over promise and under deliver. I have never seen anyone do it so consistently.

you were impressed with the reveal? #fanboy "lets hand out some cars..goodnight"

Kinda agree you have to be a fanboy to have been impressed by the event. The car though, totally different story. I bought and am driving a European car in that price range. What the Model 3 offers is extremely compelling from the base model up to the fully optioned vehicle. Also, in my opinion, they differentiate from the S and X in the right categories, e.g. with acceleration, not range.

I was disappointed by the event but are very happy with all we learned from the media. That's good media relations work they did there and we basically know almost everything we wanted to know, don't we?

Anyone who thinks tonight was a success is either drunk or a complete and utter fanboy/girl. The "reveal" and "delivery" parts were complete disasters.

Go back and watch the S and X delivery events - WAY better in terms of substance. Elon and team fell down on this one which is a shame.

Nothing like name calling to make your point. That's a large part of America today I suppose.

Sorry---it mattered on those two vehicles because Elon was trying to build a marketplace for high end EV's.

Now, its about the product (which is groundbreaking) not the 'show' and getting industry pundits (which matter a bunch to buyers) on board very early is important.

This vehicle's release tonight will not impact product success.

Why do people keep bitching about the event? Was it weak on info? I suppose. But as people who frequent an automotive forum we thrive on details and info. I can assure you that people who I know that have not followed Model 3 development religiously were perfectly happy seeing the car for the first time. In any case, the info I wanted was made available today (pricing, range, options, equipment, etc). I just need to know when I can configure and I think I'm all set.

Did people honestly expect him to do a new car walk-through like the sales guy at a Honda dealer in front of thousands of people standing in the audience? With all the articles released today and YouTube videos to follow, my guess is we'll learn far more details than a "handover party" could've ever provided.

The one thing everyone can agree that Elon has perfected the art of over promise and under deliver. I have never seen anyone do it so consistently.

Jeez. Record time for 6 Disagrees.

If I cared I could sit here and list all of them, but you are lying to yourself if you don't think EM on twitter is a liability.

FSD For sure having a difference in 6 months?! EAP doesn't even have that yet.

AP1 picking you up on private property or ramp to ramp?!

Basic things like links on Tesla working?!?!??!?!!!!

I'm not saying Tesla hasn't done amazing things, but Elon seems to promise amazing + 1.

Reactions: R.S and SoCalGuy
Why do people keep bitching about the event? Was it weak on info? I suppose. But as people who frequent an automotive forum we thrive on details and info. I can assure you that people who I know that have not followed Model 3 development religiously were perfectly happy seeing the car for the first time. In any case, the info I wanted was made available today (pricing, range, options, equipment, etc). I just need to know when I can configure and I think I'm all set.

Did people honestly expect him to do a new car walk-through like the sales guy at a Honda dealer in front of thousands of people standing in the audience? With all the articles released today and YouTube videos to follow, my guess is we'll learn far more details than a "handover party" could've ever provided.

I would have settled for non animated pics of the interior?

Honestly makes me question roll out time line.

Agree 100% -- This is a Tim Cook move.... Musk clearly stated this would have "spaceship like steering and controls" ... the speed and performance has been intentionally reduced .... they have done everything possible to convert model 3 buyers to a model X or S.... just big business as usual.

Keep in mind, Model 3 was going to come out in 2019. Tesla ramped up production by two years and decided to focus on autonomy and a simple design. I don't think we'll see a spaceship steering system in Model 3. Maybe on the Tesla Semi or Roadster.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lex and Gen3
Keep in mind, Model 3 was going to come out in 2019. Tesla ramped up production by two years and decided to focus on autonomy and a simple design. I don't think we'll see a spaceship steering system in Model 3. Maybe on the Tesla Semi or Roadster.

Not true. The original timing since 2011 through 2014 was for 2016 or 2017. But the Model X delayed things so it wasn't early, but still on time. What was moved up was the build plan. Instead of building 500,000 vehicles in about 2020, they're trying to reach that in 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Not true. The original timing since 2011 through 2014 was for 2016 or 2017. But the Model X delayed things so it wasn't early, but still on time. What was moved up was the build plan. Instead of building 500,000 vehicles in about 2020, they're trying to reach that in 2018.

Ah thanks for the correction. I knew they moved up something by two years but couldn't find a clear answer.

Did we find out...

How the key card entry works?
How the new ventilation system works?
Frunk size? Trunk opening?
Final cd figures (0.23 vs target 0.21) limitations?
Battery sizes?
Motor power?
Exterior changes to nose/other elements?
If rear windows go all the way down into door?
If interior touchscreen is adjustable at all?
What Elon meant for spaceship controls?
What "something special" he had for early reservation holders and line waiters?
And the list goes on.

The answer is no to all of the above. Give us more substance Elon. I would consider myself a big supporter of the likes of Apple, Tesla, (and Fisker) etc but not to the point of blinding fandom - true supporters (and patriots) can not only herald and sing the praises but also provide objective criticism when promises fall short.

0-60s times are a joke and the base battery less than the Bolt.

Plus the event itself was atrocious - no pomp and circumstance like the S and X deliveries, no shots of the interior, basically no info at all. This raises the question of whether or not this was a faux delivery event to make good on his July delivery deadline.

Car isn't ready for prime time yet which is a shame. I'll keep my reservation but cmon Elon, exceed expectations. The car is 1,000lbs lighter than an S and has better aero... 0-60 should easily be under 5s. Also base range should be at least 240 miles to beat Bolt. I want more Steve Jobs and less Tim Cook.

Well the mrs. currently drives an Hybrid SUV that gets 0-60 in 8.9 to 9.1 seconds, so this will be half that! Also, the long range will exceed the range of my model S, which is an S85D with about 285 miles of range. I am satisfied.

Reactions: X Fan
Did we find out...

How the key card entry works?
How the new ventilation system works?
Frunk size? Trunk opening?
Final cd figures (0.23 vs target 0.21) limitations?
Battery sizes?
Motor power?
Exterior changes to nose/other elements?
If rear windows go all the way down into door?
If interior touchscreen is adjustable at all?
What Elon meant for spaceship controls?
What "something special" he had for early reservation holders and line waiters?
And the list goes on.

The answer is no to all of the above. Give us more substance Elon. I would consider myself a big supporter of the likes of Apple, Tesla, (and Fisker) etc but not to the point of blinding fandom - true supporters (and patriots) can not only herald and sing the praises but also provide objective criticism when promises fall short.

Read the articles that were released today. Watch the YouTube videos of people riding in the Model 3 today. Most of your questions will be answered.

If you thought you were going to get a "deep dive" on the nitty gritty details of the Model 3 during a "handover party", your expectations for such an event were too high. Unless I was one of the 30 lucky recipients today, I wouldn't have expected anyone, much less Elon on stage, to do a walk-through of all the features of the car.