Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen UPDATE MODEL 3/Y? [retrofit speculation thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the same basic argument as "Do you really need a 85-75 inch TV, who needs one that big?" or " Do you need a full surround system in your house? Just go to the theater if you want that, a sound bar is good enough right?" or " Why does anyone want a Model 3 Performance / Model Y performance / Model S plaid when the speed limit is XXX?"

Faster electronics is almost always better than slower electronics, but normally costs more. For those waiting for new cars, it makes perfect sense to want "faster" if you can get it for no additonal cost.

For those who want a retrofit (this thread topic), there is the thought that "faster chip" will get "something" additional.... like there are additional car visualizations on HW3 than the ones on HW2.5 for example.

Computer power being what it is, there will definitely 100% end up a time when "some feature" is added, but only available for those with Y processer in their car. The question isnt IF that will happen, its WHEN, because it will definitely 100% happen especially since tesla iterates all the time.

Now, whether the cost to wait etc is worth it is another discussion, but "is the speed worth it" depends on the person, because there are definitely people who "dont think a TV bigger than 50 inches is worth it" for example.
Well, if one continually waits for the next new technological improvement, then one will never pull the trigger, because, especially with Tesla, changes are always occurring. That is sort of my point, and the fact that a faster chip that mostly impacts gaming and websurfing capabilities in the car seem like third order priorities. In that, I don’t think your tv screen size comparison is particularly relevant.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is not a AI chip AKA MCu but a UI chip to set
set the seater temps and so on. This is not the correct place for this. Very different
use models.

In the context of this thread discussion, MCU = Media control unit. Also, on the model 3, I am fairly certain that its all on one board (unlike model S).

• Funny
Reactions: one2many
Where did you see that they won’t do it? All indications are that it may very well be a future upgrade path ….

The infotainment computer in Model 3/Y is mounted behind the glovebox, sandwiched with the Autopilot computer. They’re nowhere near the display itself.
Umm.....Sawyer Merritt twitter post.
Tesla will NOT make the AMD Ryzen MCU a service item for retrofit.

Of course, Tesla may change their minds at any time, especially if a hue and cry arises from the customer base.
But for now, they say thru Sawyer Merritt ....NOPE

Well, if one continually waits for the next new technological improvement, then one will never pull the trigger, because, especially with Tesla, changes are always occurring. That is sort of my point, and the fact that a faster chip that mostly impacts gaming and websurfing capabilities in the car seem like third order priorities. In that, I don’t think your tv screen size comparison is particularly relevant.
Purchase decision of a Tesla now closely resembles the purchase of a LAPTOP or PC.
There's always a Faster CPU, Bigger Disc, Better Screen, Choice Feature.

Umm.....Sawyer Merritt twitter post.
Tesla will NOT make the AMD Ryzen MCU a service item for retrofit.

Of course, Tesla may change their minds at any time, especially if a hue and cry arises from the customer base.
But for now, they say thru Sawyer Merritt ....NOPE
Like I said, some rando on Twitter. Don’t know who that is, don’t care.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Wow are,you off, I asked the MOD to correct it but he has an issue.
MCU1 = NVIDA
MCU 2 = A AI chip designed by TEALA
A UI chip to do the heater functions was an Aton now a AM chip
PLEASE correct me if I am wrong .....
I lost my shot in the crack of sanity.

Check the Model S forums about issues including increased battery drain on MCU1 to MCU2 upgraded cars.

Not sure I'd want a new MCU3 if it's going to suck more battery juice down.
Just cause I'm lazy...has that been an issue for S and X built with MCU2? Or only ones with MCU2 retrofit? Any correlation with pre-Autopilot vs AP1 vs AP2.x?

Occasionally I wish I'd gone for the retrofit on my S. Still could I guess but already spent the $200 for the MCU1 LTE upgrade. On the flip side it's easy to come up with things I'd rather spend the $2000 on.

Now if Tesla were to start offering MCU3 upgrade for the S...that would be a nice jump! :)

Wow are,you off, I asked the MOD to correct it but he has an issue.
MCU1 = NVIDA
MCU 2 = A AI chip designed by TEALA
A UI chip to do the heater functions was an Aton now a AM chip
PLEASE correct me if I am wrong .....
I lost my shot in the crack of sanity.
You are thinking of the self driving computer but are still a bit confused. There is AP1, AP2.0 (Nvidia), AP2.5 Faster Nvidia and Full Self driving computer also called (3.0 by some) In house computer. There is a new full self driving computer in development also that they say will come with the cyber truck. The MCU is the media control. There is MCU1 (in the model S it is really slow), MCU2 (Intel Atom) and MCU3 AMD this controls the screen and media functions. Faster MCU will play better games and probably have more functionality in the future.

Well I hope its real. This would mean that the clock is 5x faster or
some software tricks are used or both. As you increase speed other parts of the
system tend to fail. Anyway interesting.

Loading an app 5x faster certainly does __not__ mean the clock is 5x faster. Cache, pipeline, instruction set, memory bandwidth, [performance of] integrated GPU, etc., and things like compiler optimizations aren't "tricks".