Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Edmondson Park site has finally had its charger installed in the last week or so
IMG_2171.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

Reslec posted some pictures of their work on this site (Ampol St Ives) a couple of days ago, saying it is "nearing completion" (they did all the electrical work & associated civils from the Ausgrid distribution sub to the chargers).
I drove past yesterday and it seems to have stalled. Where it is at now is the charger is mounted in place but wrapped in plastic. Lines are painted and site cleared, still with temporary fencing in front of the parking bays. Bollards around the charger. The charger seems to be to the left of the two parking bays rather than in front or between them which seems an unconventional layout - I only saw from the road when driving past so I might be mistaken.

Anyway it seems close but not operational (still).

Has anyone gotten AutoCharge working with Ampol yet?

I set it up at Pheasants Nest the other day.
Wouldn't let me force it, but a minute later while charging popped up with a do I want to set it up, and required a confirmation button and an email address.

When I look at Settings - AutoCharge it has recorded a VID for my car (only shows last 4 digits) but none relate to my Tesla VIN.

But trying to see if it worked later in the day, nothing happened so just selected the charger as normal (note at Pheasants Nest you don't have to scan the barcode, the number is written in somewhat small font underneath)
Hi, did you get anywhere with this? I cannot even see the AutoCharge setting in the App. Perhaps this feature has been withdrawn for now?

It seemingly disappeared with the new app.
In any event would seemingly need you to have a cloud account/login, which the new app seemingly does not have.
I tried AmpCharge for the first time yesterday (hence my question). I did get a notification on my phone that the VID had been obtained (can’t remember the exact wording) so maybe AutoCharge will work without a cloud account? I’ll try next week on my return. In the meantime I sent AmpCharge support a question.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Article in TheDriven.

Key points
- Australian sites to go from 82 bays at end 2023 to 300 bays at end 2024
- Recently signed a deal with Mirvac for roll out in shopping centres

(Interestingly Ampol NZ has managed to roll out more bays to date than it's Aus equivalent)

The deal with Mirvac is interesting as Mirvac has been one of the more progressive shopping centres to date, rolling out free AC chargers (typically a combination of Tesla WC and Chargefox units) in it's centres, as well as hosting a number of Tesla Superchargers and Chargefox/NRMA DC units.

Will be interesting to see what combination of DC/AC that Ampol intends to roll out.

New South Wales
BIRKENHEAD POINT (existing 4 AC)
BROADWAY SYDNEY (existing 4 AC and 8 Tesla DC)
EAST VILLAGE (existing 4 AC and 3 Chargefox DC)
GREENWOOD PLAZA (existing 4 AC)
HARBOURSIDE (under redevelopment, 2 AC in carpark)
METCENTRE
RHODES WATERSIDE (existing AC)
SOUTH VILLAGE (existing 6 Tesla DC)
STANHOPE VILLAGE (existing 2 AC)

Queensland
KAWANA SHOPPINGWORLD (existing 2 AC)
ORION SPRINGFIELD CENTRAL (existing 4 AC)

Victoria
MOONEE PONDS CENTRAL (existing 2 AC, 6 Tesla DC)

ACT
COOLEMAN COURT

Last edited:
What do you think the problem was?
Clunky app & timeouts. Also the app doesn't seem designed to have an order of operation similar to all the others apps.

I get OK results when I scan the QR code in-app, accept that it'll put a pre-auth on my card, wait a moment, and then grab the cable and plug it in. I'll sometimes get it working on the 2nd attempt.

I consistently have problems when I plug it in and then scan the QR code in-app. Takes way more goes to make it work when I do things in that order.

Oh, and one time it didn't help that someone (bored teenagers perhaps?) swapped the CCS plugs to the opposite side so I had to scan the other side's QR code to make it work.

Before you plug the charger into the port? Ok sounds like it's not a Ampcharge ABB charger-Tesla handshake issue

Sorry for the sequential questions
I drive to Sydney most weeks (though less often this year, but still). I charge at Pheasants Nest northbound, and sometimes southbound too. I've tried every possible orders of the various steps many times. Any order can work, but rarely on the first go.
Screenshot_20240316_105154~2.jpg