Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article in TheDriven.

Key points
- Australian sites to go from 82 bays at end 2023 to 300 bays at end 2024
- Recently signed a deal with Mirvac for roll out in shopping centres

(Interestingly Ampol NZ has managed to roll out more bays to date than it's Aus equivalent)

The deal with Mirvac is interesting as Mirvac has been one of the more progressive shopping centres to date, rolling out free AC chargers (typically a combination of Tesla WC and Chargefox units) in it's centres, as well as hosting a number of Tesla Superchargers and Chargefox/NRMA DC units.

Will be interesting to see what combination of DC/AC that Ampol intends to roll out.

New South Wales
BIRKENHEAD POINT (existing 4 AC)
BROADWAY SYDNEY (existing 4 AC and 8 Tesla DC)
EAST VILLAGE (existing 4 AC and 3 Chargefox DC)
GREENWOOD PLAZA (existing 4 AC)
HARBOURSIDE (under redevelopment, 2 AC in carpark)
METCENTRE
RHODES WATERSIDE (existing AC)
SOUTH VILLAGE (existing 6 Tesla DC)
STANHOPE VILLAGE (existing 2 AC)

Queensland
KAWANA SHOPPINGWORLD (existing 2 AC)
ORION SPRINGFIELD CENTRAL (existing 4 AC)

Victoria
MOONEE PONDS CENTRAL (existing 2 AC, 6 Tesla DC)

ACT
COOLEMAN COURT
Would be nice to get some in SA.

We have a bunch of AMPOL but some of them are owned by somone else which probably doesn't help.

AMPOL also took over a bunch of SHELL servos that OTR didn't want, or there was some competition rules kicking into play.

Quite a few have decommissioned carwashes too which would be ideal real estate for EV charging stations.

Anyone have any information as to why there is no AMPCHARGE (or BP Pulse) in SA?

I drive to Sydney most weeks (though less often this year, but still). I charge at Pheasants Nest northbound, and sometimes southbound too. I've tried every possible orders of the various steps many times. Any order can work, but rarely on the first go.View attachment 1028492
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I’ve used Pheasants Nest about 6 times north and south) with my 23MY over the last few months and only once had a false start… and I think it was cellular connection with my phone/app as there were soooo many people there, the ICE filler and car park were almost full so the local Telstra cell was overloaded. I helped a lady get hers started and it took 20 mins just to download the app!
Lesson 1: ALWAYS download the apps you need before you leave home!
It’s been smooth for me whenever there was just a “normal” amount of traffic through the site. I’ve been very pleased with its operation.

Reactions: Quickst
AMPCHARGE (or BP Pulse) in SA?
Well there is Ampol owned Ampol and EG Ampol which is EG owned and operated with Ampol supplying the fuel

Are there any Ampol owned Ampol in SA?

And do any EG Ampol have Ampcharge?

IMG_3040.jpeg

Well there is Ampol owned Ampol and EG Ampol which is EG owned and operated with Ampol supplying the fuel

Are there any Ampol owned Ampol in SA?

And do any EG Ampol have Ampcharge?

View attachment 1032358
Apart from the bend OTR (has a supercharger) the new OTR branded charger in the leafy eastern suburbs and the RAA charge near the shell in Keith I haven’t personally seen any EV chargers at service stations, and none at Ampol.

Much to my councils opposing idea that refuelling any car will be done at service stations haha.

We seem to have a mix now.
EG owned ampol, Ampol owned ampol, and shell servos that don’t get converted to OTR are getting very lacklustre rebranding to ampol

Good to know it's not just me - bit hard to plan ahead if you can't tell what the availability is until you're actually there!
Sorry, maybe not clear. If you select a specific charger, within the 'location' section, you can see availability of that charger. If you go to the 'on road' section you can only get the directions option if not in GPS vicinity.
The step back is that from the map/location view you cannot see availability on the chargers within the map view, you have to select each individually.

One thing that i learned on my last trip was that even if the charging location says it has 3 stalls available, it doesnt mean that as you are pulling into the carpark 3 other cars haven't just rocked up and taken all the spots haha. Literally, as i was navigating there.. 3 stalls available... pull into the carpark... people opening doors in Model Ys.

Spruiking the new app on FB at the moment:

View attachment 1032452
The wording on these advertisements trigger me a bit.. treating us like simpletons..

1. "Download and switch to the AMPOL App.."

Well if there was AMPOL chargers everywhere you might consider that, but you could hardly switch to them.. How many are there compared to others?

2. "The easiest way to charge on the go"

How is using the AMPOL App to charge your car easier than using any other app to charge your car?
And further more how is it easier than using a Tesla Supercharger which doesn't require an App at all?

3. "Say goodbye to Range Anxiety"

Does the App make your car go further distance? Maybe they dispense premium electricity like U98?

4. "Hello to hassle free charging"

Having another app is hassle free? See point 2.

5. "Let it power your journey"

The battery and car powers your journey, not an app installed on your phone. Terms and conditions apply, Everyone in SA at least excluded..

Edit: Im all for it, and think it is excellent that they are providing EV charging. No need to treat us like idiots though.

Yep. They also seem to have edited most Plugshare entries..

Unlike the 2nd version of the app, this one actually has a login again. Also let's you setup to pay by Google/Apple Pay rather than storing CC details.

And seemingly connects with Woolworths Everyday rewards (not tested), albeit no discounts for electric charging.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Those are the ones that Viva had to dispose of to get the OTR deal across the line.
They'll get a proper rebrand at some stage.
There is one on Marion Road which is looking like one of those dodgey massage places and a drop in centre are fighting over occupancy while trying to sell unbranded fuel.
Luckily i dont care, and i doubt they will ever have EV charging there.

Spruiking the new ap
AmpCharge app or Ampol app?

Talk about confusing! They tell you to use AmpCharge app, then stop functions and want you to move to another app that has all the other stuff for ICE vehicles 😮‍💨

I opened a ticket coz the AmpCharge app shows ApplePay as an option but does nothing… their response “we’re working on it”- nothing for months ☹️

Reactions: dronus