Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AmpCharge app or Ampol app?

Talk about confusing! They tell you to use AmpCharge app, then stop functions and want you to move to another app that has all the other stuff for ICE vehicles 😮‍💨

I opened a ticket coz the AmpCharge app shows ApplePay as an option but does nothing… their response “we’re working on it”- nothing for months ☹️
That’s a bit ordinary. I’d trust Apple/android pay with their number obfuscation over putting my actual credit card details into yet another app which at some-stage will probably get hacked (when they get it working).

Reactions: unharmed and elddum
a great addition.
Yes, from the point of view it further negates the fire risk myth.
However, a charge session using Ampcharge @75kW let alone 150kW would still be too fast for the average normal shopper.

Looking at our own shopping habits, a 25kW DCFC would be better IMO. For a M3RWD that would be near 50% SOC in 1 hour and would leave enough time for a 1-2hr shopping visit. Too fast and it would necessitate a return and move the car in the middle of a shopping visit. Maybe a mix of both would be ideal. For the same electrical load 2x75kW can be 6x25kW chargers.

Looking at our own shopping habits, a 25kW DCFC would be better IMO. For a M3RWD that would be near 50% SOC in 1 hour and would leave enough time for a 1-2hr shopping visit. Too fast and it would necessitate a return and move the car in the middle of a shopping visit. Maybe a mix of both would be ideal. For the same electrical load 2x75kW can be 6x25kW chargers.
You're looking at it as "do some charging while I'm here for shopping", but there's a good chance that Ampol and Stockland are thinking of it as "grab a few things from the shops while I'm here for charging".

Since they're in country towns there's a good chance they'll be in places that people go through on a longer journey.

The driven lists the sites (my formatting)

The EV chargers will be rolled out over the next 18 months at the following locations:
  • Burleigh Heads, Baringa, Birtinya, Hervey Bay, and Rockhampton in Queensland;
  • Point Cook and Wendouree in Victoria;
  • Harrisdale and Baldivis in Western Australia; and
  • Merrylands, Wetherill Park, Shellharbour, Glendale, Green Hills, Forster, and Piccadilly (Sydney CBD) in New South Wales

people go through on a longer journey.
To get to a shopping centre to do their weekly shop is also another scenario. For those customers a 75kW would give them a 50-100% in 30min or less.

A quick in and out is never what shopping centres want - they want longer dwell time - hence the free 3hr parking at most.

A mix of DCFC speeds would be good so that both types can ge catered for

Reactions: dronus and moa999
Yes, from the point of view it further negates the fire risk myth.
However, a charge session using Ampcharge @75kW let alone 150kW would still be too fast for the average normal shopper.

I think 11kW AC is even better, costs comparative peanuts to install. As long as they were not free, you could have 40 of them and basically guarantee a spot for arrivals.