Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

amps cuts to 31 now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am not saying you couldn't be correct, I'm saying it's not been an issue in 6 years of ownership. I'm pretty familiar with the UMC1, 2, etc, as well as the onboard charger. (I miss the days of the UMC1 and 40 amps). Anyway, (even though all this troubleshooting should never have to be done by the consumer).

History: Same NEMA 14-50 since 2015, when I had my first Model S on a UCM1 happily pulling 40 amps all day every day.
Wife's 3 is also plugged into a NEMA 14-50 from the same panel. (Different outlet, different breaker).
Not aware of any issues of it lowering to 31 amps now or ever.

My X has always charged 32/32 day 1 (July 2019) until the firmware and iOS app let you change the amps.
The only thing that changed here is the feature I didn't ask for.
I always thought it would be neat to be able to do, but in 7+ years (Holy cow, has it really been that long?) of owning 3 Teslas... never actually needed. The amps are set by the chip in the dongle telling the UMC to tell the car max amps.
I'm aware that if the voltage dips as the amps climb while it loads the the circuit, or while charging the car will reduce the amps to reduce the likely-hood of a problem/fire. Also aware of the temp sensors that do similar.

32 amps across a 50 amp breaker/outlet is no sweat. Car was charging just now at 32/32 at 245v. The on board charger in fact, can handle 11.5kw and 32 amps at 245 is only 7,840 watts.

I know (at 245v) I'm talking about 245 watts here... but dammit, 32 amps is already slower than I'd like. I shouldn't have to give up 1 more... especially when the onboard charger can handle it anyway.

I don't know what's worse. that it's occurring, or that you have to quadruple prove the sky is blue to service... I know it's a firmware issue, but if people don't report it... how would it get fixed? The pushed an update which now made my XM all but useless... ugh. can't win.

Anyway, I used to run Visible Tesla on my first S, it logged amps/volts nicely. I don't know if that's still around or not. I also have a Sense which can show me down to the second I think of voltage history.

While I've been typing this, I set the amps to 32 (as it was at 31). Now I just checked the app in the time it took to write this... shows.... wait for it... 31! lol

**screen shot shows 246v. It must have changed to 245 quickly after so the math above is on the 245 figure.

point is, it runs 32 amp at 246 just fine.

I know y'all are trying to help, but really it's gotta be a firmware issue, they take 2 steps forward and 1 back so often with this stuff...
Tesla Service says it's not throwing any charging errors. Which means go away.

View attachment 726807
Does Sense show the watts dropping when it drops from 32 to 31 amps?

I'd have to run something like Visible Tesla to get that level of detail, as I have no way of viewing the app for hours on end :-/ Sense might detect it, but it's showing the whole house, so a 245 watt change could be a light turning on/off, or a garbage disposal, the fridge, etc. No real way to prove which it is without significant effort.

I set the app on the phone again to 32 amps, to wake up to it being 31. No charging occurred in-between those times. I guess I just give up for now and wait until our benevolent overloads fix the issue they caused.

I'm just surprised I guess that no one else is seeing this, or maybe they don't look.

I'll see if I can get VT running again, it's been years since it's been updated I think, but it would give near real time logs of charging V and A.

10/29/21 09:22 AM - Set from 31--> 32 amps via app. Car isn't charging.
10/29/21 09:50 AM - App now shows 31 amps. No charging occurred. No giant flashes of electricity and or fireballs and or space aliens anywhere near the car. The lawn maybe... but not the garage for now.
This feels like one of those boxes you see that the human flips a switch then the thing flips it back.
Well, I'm done being the dumb human. Maybe I can automate something.

I'll throw the app on my old iphone and just have a rig tap the + button every 5 min.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not glad it's happening to you, but I am glad it appears more common.

Thank you guys and gals for 'listening'.

Tesla Service did tell me to pound sand, so I had to cancel the appointment. Thank you infallible lords of tesla. Breaking things happens, but the condescending, dismissive attitudes from service are always the icing on the cake.

FW: 2021.36.5.5: Charging 1 amp issue + XM is borked.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
i have been having the same issue, even when charger not plugged in and also tried at chargepoint, same issue amps keep dropping from 32 to 31, while charging, i can see the change happen in the car as well.. started 2021.35.5.5, and no improvement on 2021.35.5.6.

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Yeah, I'm on 2021.40 now, with no change. Still "randomly" drops from 32 to 31. Wife's car seems unaffected. Plugged in and charging it drops. Plugged in without charging it drops. I could try just parking and seeing what it is in car I guess (since it doesn't show amps in the app unless it's plugged in)?

I'm tempted to try her UMC/Outlet just to prove it's the car, since Tesla wrote it off as "customer education" aka "f off".

It held 32/32 for 2 years, then a firmware update breaks it, but Tesla has no responsibility to fix anything, right? I guess I could try that arbitration thing.

Seeing this in uk also. No real point in dropping amps the cable is rated against amps if you drop them the voltage might increase as voltage drop will be less (probably not noticable). Mine changes to 31A when not charging like previously reported.

No real point in dropping amps the cable is rated against amps
I wouldn't say no point. It's rated to allow that as the maximum. And the cables do get kind of hot when run at their maximum amps. For the life of electronics, this kind of thermal cycling of hot/cold/hot/cold every day causes expansion and contraction of metals, and that stresses solder joints, etc. So just for extending the life of your charging cables, it does help some to turn the amps down a little bit, so it stays a little cooler and doesn't have as far of a daily temperature swing.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I charge at 72A and the whole 24-ft cable feels warm after a long charge. Never occurred to me to dial it down, however, just to extend the life of the charging equipment. I was assuming I would have a whole new setup in ten or twenty years. But I guess I should be thinking more long term...

Just to acknowledge the actual topic being discussed here, a 1 amp reduction (either voluntary or forced on me by a tesla software glitch) certainly isn't going to matter..

the amp matters to me.

I'd admit the amp may matter less than the fact that
1. their update broke it
2. their service told me to pound sand.

However, I'd like all the amps I paid for. It used to work. No one at Tesla will ever acknowlege it doesn't, so how can it get fixed?

Last edited:
Well, I'm not glad it's happening to you, but I am glad it appears more common.

Thank you guys and gals for 'listening'.

Tesla Service did tell me to pound sand, so I had to cancel the appointment. Thank you infallible lords of tesla. Breaking things happens, but the condescending, dismissive attitudes from service are always the icing on the cake.

FW: 2021.36.5.5: Charging 1 amp issue + XM is borked.

Hey, not sure if you’re still having this issue but I was having same problem and it looks I was able to figure out a fix for it. What I did was opened the phone app and saw the 31 amps and didn’t adjust it on the app like you would want to, I left it as is. I then plugged in my car and got in front seat and saw on the screen the incorrect 31 Amps issue and I then adjusted it manually on the car screen to the proper amps of 32. After doing this I went into phone app and the amps were reflected properly. I then forced closed the phone app and reopened it to see if the amps changed back to 31 and nope it stayed on 32 and seems to be corrected now.

I have 2017 model X that I charge at home with a Tesla wall charger based on 2 80amp breakers — for years it has charged at about 41mph using 64amps, but now it is charging at 31mph and has been reduced to 36amps. I didn’t do anything!! Any ideas?!
Yup! Same thing just happened to me. I went to Tesla to figure it out... had two problems with my 2017 Model X 90D.

When I bought my MX90D, it did not come with the dual-AC-inverter chargers (which later on that year became standard). Unfortunately, I had to pay a couple grand more for that feature in order to charge at full tilt.

What is annoying is that after only 4 years, that part died... I don't understand how something like that goes, and how Tesla just expects me to buy it all over again... my first "not so friendly" customer experience at Tesla. To me, the charging system is a core feature of the battery and drive system. Without it, how do you drive?

Their answer was: "Well, you can always go to a SuperCharger and your car will charge there!"

That ticked me off a bit... because I spent over $3 grand to upgrade the electrical in my house to dedicate 100 amps of power just to my cars.

So $2k when I bought it, $3k in electrical, and now another $5k to fix the inverter... over $10k in - and I felt like I was hosed.

Regardless, I had to replace the following components (all in Canadian dollars btw):

1048941-00-F MDLX Thermal System Electric Battery Heater - $560.00
1138547-00-A Bolt Service Repair Kit - $33.00
1462537-00-H Gen 3 Charging System - $2,760.00
1049548-00-A Gasket for Charger to Body for Gen3 Charger - $4.70
Tesla Technician Labour - $1,000

Grand Total: $4,357.70
After HST (13% tax) - $4,924.20

And that was AFTER I complained about the pricing, and they gave me some discounts here and there... (yes, Tesla can discount the labour 10% as a courtesy but you have to push for it and hard).

Am I happy about it? Hells no. When I bought the vehicle, they sold it to me with the promise "no matter what, for 8 years, even if the doors fall off, we warranty the vehicle and it will always drive"... but when you read the fine print, it was all a smoke and mirror sales pitch as the 8 year unlimited km warranty is just that - marketing. Very few components are actually covered under that warranty... and now I have lost confidence in Tesla's integrity as a company.

But I still do love my Model X... now that I am so invested, I'll keep her for a few more years.

Hey, not sure if you’re still having this issue but I was having same problem and it looks I was able to figure out a fix for it. What I did was opened the phone app and saw the 31 amps and didn’t adjust it on the app like you would want to, I left it as is. I then plugged in my car and got in front seat and saw on the screen the incorrect 31 Amps issue and I then adjusted it manually on the car screen to the proper amps of 32. After doing this I went into phone app and the amps were reflected properly. I then forced closed the phone app and reopened it to see if the amps changed back to 31 and nope it stayed on 32 and seems to be corrected now.
This fix worked for me, Model 3 2021.36.5.8, Android 4.3.0-766.

The behaviour that the OP describes is exactly what I was seeing, charge rate always setting itself to 31A despite me constantly setting it back to 32A (max) in the app.

I'm relatively sure this is a bug in the app or the API the app uses to talk to the vehicle, which can be characterized as: "When the app is used to set the charge current limit to the maximum value then this is not saved for the current location by the car. Vales set by the app which are lower than maximum value are saved. Setting the maximum value in the car does save the setting."

Workaround is to leave the setting alone in the app and use the car to set it to your max value.

The theories around voltage drops and protection are based in fact but I don't think they are the cause for the OP, repeating them is just gaslighting.

I first noticed this with the app update around the time of the holiday firmware update. I normally charge at 48A (wall charger) but since the app update I tend to start out at 47. I can slide it back up and sometimes it will drop back to 47. That being said, for as long as I have had the car my charging amps would flip between 47 and 48 amps depending on my line voltage which varies between 240v and 247v. But in all cases the kilowatt charge level stays very near 11.5kW which is the maximum (according to Tesla)charge rate for my MS using the HPWC. So it appears to me that the car is regulating the amps to maintain a specific kW charge rate. Have you checked the amps/volts/kilowatts from inside the car since you noticed this? In my case it looks as if the app is just more aligned with what is happening in the car. It is a relatively inconsequential amount so I would not worry one way or another.

I first noticed this with the app update around the time of the holiday firmware update. I normally charge at 48A (wall charger) but since the app update I tend to start out at 47. I can slide it back up and sometimes it will drop back to 47. That being said, for as long as I have had the car my charging amps would flip between 47 and 48 amps depending on my line voltage which varies between 240v and 247v. But in all cases the kilowatt charge level stays very near 11.5kW which is the maximum (according to Tesla)charge rate for my MS using the HPWC. So it appears to me that the car is regulating the amps to maintain a specific kW charge rate. Have you checked the amps/volts/kilowatts from inside the car since you noticed this? In my case it looks as if the app is just more aligned with what is happening in the car. It is a relatively inconsequential amount so I would not worry one way or another.
No, those are two real things, but totally separate. The theory about higher voltage and lower amps was floated already in page one of this thread, but disproven from evidence of very normal voltage or the car even not being charging at the time. This is very definitely a bug in the mobile app. Changing it on the car's touch screen always works properly.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverString