Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The turn signals are capacitive touch buttons? That is not a huge deal, but it's also a bad idea. The first Chevy Volts had capacitive touch buttons on the center stack. Most people seemed to have the same experience with them. They are cool at first, but they quickly become annoying, and in the end, not too many people liked them. I can deal with losing the turn stalk, but they should be very clear and real buttons, IMO. Do they have any haptic feedback? That can make capacitive touch buttons slightly less annoying. I'm guessing no.
I actually really like where the turn signals are, and I'm not finding any issue turning them on and off, and after one day got very comfortable using them. Not really any haptic feel I guess, but the sound is obvious and they really are put in a good spot for me. I now prefer this to a stalk. The yoke itself is interesting. I don't think it is unsafe, just different. I find it pretty comfortable to use, in particular on the interstate and highways. Turning around when going slow in parking, etc., has required me to learn how to rotate the yoke around, but it isn't that difficult and will become second nature I think. I'm only 36 hours into it so far.

I actually really like where the turn signals are, and I'm not finding any issue turning them on and off, and after one day got very comfortable using them. Not really any haptic feel I guess, but the sound is obvious and they really are put in a good spot for me. I now prefer this to a stalk. The yoke itself is interesting. I don't think it is unsafe, just different. I find it pretty comfortable to use, in particular on the interstate and highways. Turning around when going slow in parking, etc., has required me to learn how to rotate the yoke around, but it isn't that difficult and will become second nature I think. I'm only 36 hours into it so far.
The only thing I don't like about the turn signals is that it is hard to get the "temporarily on" (stop when I let go) mode to work reliably. Way too subtle a difference between a light touch and a 'real' push/touch. So, half the time I end up fully turning them on (without knowing it), they don't stop when I take my thumb off, and I have to go back to push it again to cancel. And, with no "3 blinks" mode, I'm finding I want the "temporarily" mode quite often.

• Informative
Reactions: mmanner
How about a specific audible 'button pressed' sound being broadcast from only a front left speaker for the driver to hear? Then you could know if you have touched or long-touched a button. It would be tricky to get the sound volume to be independent of the stereo volume.

I think the most telling thing about the yoke is that the Model S Tesla was running at the Nurburgring and crashed had a normal steering wheel. I am willing to give it a shot on my Model S but I highly doubt I am going to like it. Considering it is the key touch point with the car, I don't want the best thing I can say about it is "It isn't as bad as I thought it would be..."

No matter how they want to spin it, it clearly isn't a step forward and I hate that I have to spend any time dealing with and learning something new that clearly has no benefit that I can see in its current iteration. Maybe they will make a Nurburgring wheel optional at some point. Yeah, I get it probably wasn't set up for turn signals and all the other changes they made but I still see this as a major miss. I haven't read anyone raving about how amazing it is. Mostly it is something semi-positive and even then put in some sort of context. The steering wheel shouldn't be a distraction and I am concerned it will be.

What is the "moose test"? Is that a real moose driving or a you tuber named moose driving?

I did drive hundreds of miles in the mountains and no issue with the yoke.

Would like more feedback on the buttons.

Police use this test to judge how the vehicle handles. That steering yoke will never be used if the vehicle is equipped with it.

Police use this test to judge how the vehicle handles. That steering yoke will never be used if the vehicle is equipped with it.

Thanks - was not aware of this test.

It really means nothing until they test the yoke on it. I have done plenty of EVOC training and bet it could be done with the yoke.

I think the most telling thing about the yoke is that the Model S Tesla was running at the Nurburgring and crashed had a normal steering wheel. I am willing to give it a shot on my Model S but I highly doubt I am going to like it. Considering it is the key touch point with the car, I don't want the best thing I can say about it is "It isn't as bad as I thought it would be..."

No matter how they want to spin it, it clearly isn't a step forward and I hate that I have to spend any time dealing with and learning something new that clearly has no benefit that I can see in its current iteration. Maybe they will make a Nurburgring wheel optional at some point. Yeah, I get it probably wasn't set up for turn signals and all the other changes they made but I still see this as a major miss. I haven't read anyone raving about how amazing it is. Mostly it is something semi-positive and even then put in some sort of context. The steering wheel shouldn't be a distraction and I am concerned it will be.

Sounds like you really have already made up your mind to not like it. Maybe going after another vehicle would be better for you.

I love it and it really is a non-issue for me. Was not sure I would like it before delivery, but over 9k miles and no issues or near misses. It is way better than I thought it would be. The benefits of opening up the dash are huge to me. Some argue that is not a benefit - but to me it absolutely is a benefit. Again, I have always driven 9 and 3 so I do not miss the top half - even in reverse.

Apparently it is not for everyone and that is ok. There are people on both sides. Tesla must not think the naysayers are that numerous to change anything at this point. Maybe they will offer it as an post-delivery option someday.

Reactions: WhiteWi and MAHahh
I grew up flying aircraft with sticks and yokes. I had no issue adapting to that. The difference here, unlike a plane or race cars, you may have to do more than one rotation lock to lock in car in normal driving. I drive with my hands at the 10 and 2 position. People are having to adapt for something that nobody has been able to demonstrably show it has any real benefit. If I hate it after getting the car and trying it for a while, I'll either sell it or find a wheel option.

Opening up the dash could have been done differently. A heads up display would have been much better. Your head shouldn't be in the cockpit so to speak when driving. Hell, on the 3/Y you don't even get a display in front of you. I adapted to that but still can't say I am a fan of it either. Not to mention Tesla's reliance too much on soft controls when buttons/switches can make a lot more sense. Even more so when dealing with wide ranges of climate issues.

This clearly was not one of Tesla's better ideas. Now if they want to setup the steering so it never exceeds one turn lock to lock, then I'd be more enthusiastic. Last thing I want is to be grabbing for a part of the wheel in an emergency situation that no longer exists because Tesla want to make a styling statement. Hopefully it will never be an issue to anyone but the longer you've been driving, the more likely your ingrained muscle memory is going to take over in an emergency. You want to be able to react and not have to think about things in a high stress situation.

I grew up flying aircraft with sticks and yokes. I had no issue adapting to that. The difference here, unlike a plane or race cars, you may have to do more than one rotation lock to lock in car in normal driving. I drive with my hands at the 10 and 2 position. People are having to adapt for something that nobody has been able to demonstrably show it has any real benefit. If I hate it after getting the car and trying it for a while, I'll either sell it or find a wheel option.

Opening up the dash could have been done differently. A heads up display would have been much better. Your head shouldn't be in the cockpit so to speak when driving. Hell, on the 3/Y you don't even get a display in front of you. I adapted to that but still can't say I am a fan of it either. Not to mention Tesla's reliance too much on soft controls when buttons/switches can make a lot more sense. Even more so when dealing with wide ranges of climate issues.

This clearly was not one of Tesla's better ideas. Now if they want to setup the steering so it never exceeds one turn lock to lock, then I'd be more enthusiastic. Last thing I want is to be grabbing for a part of the wheel in an emergency situation that no longer exists because Tesla want to make a styling statement. Hopefully it will never be an issue to anyone but the longer you've been driving, the more likely your ingrained muscle memory is going to take over in an emergency. You want to be able to react and not have to think about things in a high stress situation.

You do adapt, and on regular straight roads with mild curves it's never an issue, and the yoke there shows its benefits - it's nice not having the top of the wheel in the way (especially for shorter drivers). It's only when doing maneuvering that you absolutely freaking will hate it. It's rubbish in this space. This yoke/stalkless design is clearly designed around FSD, but Tesla tends to get ahead of itself in so many ways, - I don't expect things to be any different here.

What I don’t like about it, if I need to use my wife’s SUV and she needs to drive my car, she will hate it. Too big of a change going from her car to my potential Model S with Yoke and those controls. That probably is the biggest drawback if you live in household where your spouse may drive your car.
That's exactly my concern. She had MB, I have model S, we had no problems swapping cars. Now she's got Y, and apart from occasional "you're-already-in-drive" nag from model S, not a big deal. For her to go through all that mental gymnastics to sound a horn or show a turn, that stuff breaks marriages! And for me, I like taking roundabouts in S without slowing down, which means I use the top of the steering wheel all the time, and let the steering wheel slide on the end of the turn.
I tried to take hard turns and roundabouts using only lower portion of the wheel, I really did. That sucks.

On sensory buttons - if anyone remembers Lenovo going with sensory buttons for the TrackPoint? They learnt and took that out.
On control placement. I'm sure I can adapt to that. I had French cars, with horns on the end of the stalk, no big deal, I even welcome that development. I would love to have physical buttons there...

The Yoke is overengineered and underengineered at the same time. My big 3 drawbacks are:

1) No stalks whatsoever. This is a mistake, now all that stuff has to be in a menu or some other button on the front of the wheel. Bleh.
2) In an emergency that requires panic maneuvers, you have far less 'material' to grab for.
3) PRND are now a function of the screen, which feels odd and.....well let's just hope that they have better luck with crashing on the new version.

I'm not in the market for a Plaid because I think spending $135k on a car that looks 90% identical to one from 2012 is a tall ask - but if I was, I wouldn't buy one until I could get a normal round steering wheel.
Trying to get something newer than my s75d, I did test-drive model 3. Slept on it, still decided I love the S. Cancelled my order for the 3 with note that I want an S with round steering wheel. 250$ feedback session : )

Is there a bolt on replacement steering for the yoke on the plaid yet ?

My plaid shoud show up in the next couple months and the yoke worries me quite a bit

Do not stress too much - you may get it and find it to be a non-issue like a lot of us have done. If you really have a legitimate concern, do not take delivery until you can investigate further. You know it has a yoke and no other option at this time.

After 10k miles it is one of my top 5 features.

With the latest software update, the buttons have an audible buzz and definite feel when pushed.