Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually most shifter's are electronic these days. There's no cable to snap or stretch.
Yes. But there’s a huge difference between a touch screen or haptic ‘button’ and a physical stalk that one can feel. Ergonomics matter. If Toyota had done this, no one would have come to their defense. As long as we’re on this, Teslas don’t ‘shift’ at all. There are no ratios that change; no clutch; no torque convertor; no physical difference between ‘Drive’, ‘Reverse’, and ‘Neutral’; and ‘Park’ simply applies the small, electric screw-drive calipers to the rear disks. To say a Tesla ‘shifts’ is just anachronistic as ‘gas’ pedal. To replace the latter, I’ve coined the expression ‘electron pump’ which my friends find hilarious; perhaps you do as well :)

So the ‘shift’ stalk has always been electronic, but I—and thousands of others—love the way it falls to hand for quick maneuvers. It’s satisfying and outrageously quick. In >140k miles driving my 2015 Model S, I almost never come to a complete stop when changing direction—there’s no need; it’s amazingly quick car to swing around in traffic (I live in New York, if you drive there, you know); to thread my car into outrageously tight parking spaces and obstacles; to reverse quickly when someone tries to back into me in a parking lot or away from gridlock (again, New York—it’s a terrible place to drive, but drive we must.)

It’s demonstrably poor ergonomics: on-screen ‘shifting’ ruins not only the feel, but more critically, the lighting-fast directional change response of the outgoing model. Yes, it’s cheaper for Tesla, but in such an expensive car (to which was added a nearly useless rear screen for back-seat passengers), such a cost savings for a worse driving experience is an insult.

Reactions: lardlad00
Yes. But there’s a huge difference between a touch screen or haptic ‘button’ and a physical stalk that one can feel. Ergonomics matter. If Toyota had done this, no one would have come to their defense. As long as we’re on this, Teslas don’t ‘shift’ at all. There are no ratios that change; no clutch; no torque convertor; no physical difference between ‘Drive’, ‘Reverse’, and ‘Neutral’; and ‘Park’ simply applies the small, electric screw-drive calipers to the rear disks. To say a Tesla ‘shifts’ is just anachronistic as ‘gas’ pedal. To replace the latter, I’ve coined the expression ‘electron pump’ which my friends find hilarious; perhaps you do as well :)

So the ‘shift’ stalk has always been electronic, but I—and thousands of others—love the way it falls to hand for quick maneuvers. It’s satisfying and outrageously quick. In >140k miles driving my 2015 Model S, I almost never come to a complete stop when changing direction—there’s no need; it’s amazingly quick car to swing around in traffic (I live in New York, if you drive there, you know); to thread my car into outrageously tight parking spaces and obstacles; to reverse quickly when someone tries to back into me in a parking lot or away from gridlock (again, New York—it’s a terrible place to drive, but drive we must.)

It’s demonstrably poor ergonomics: on-screen ‘shifting’ ruins not only the feel, but more critically, the lighting-fast directional change response of the outgoing model. Yes, it’s cheaper for Tesla, but in such an expensive car (to which was added a nearly useless rear screen for back-seat passengers), such a cost savings for a worse driving experience is an insult.
Still have a blackberry?

As far as the yoke goes, there’s no compelling argument other than it looks good. Here’s the thing: I spent a fortune on my car but I’m not going to go around praising poor decisions. I also wonder if the yoke is purposefully there to make it harder to steer when accelerating to prevent the driver getting into trouble.

Tesla made a mistake with the yoke. You know it, I know it - and while I absolutely appreciate not having the top of the steering wheel in my eyeline, it comes at a massive cost. And the turn signal button are rubbish. 1100 miles in after 5 weeks and I still have to look down to find them often.

As you said, an answer to a question nobody was asking. You give people a questionnaire some years back on what they want to see on the new Model S, nobody is saying a yoke.
Honestly if Tesla wants to bankrupt itself, all they have to do put the yoke on the 3/Y. This is how you stand behind a foolish decision to show is its really better to something that wasn't flawed to begin with. They will quickly realize it.

Honestly if Tesla wants to bankrupt itself, all they have to do put the yoke on the 3/Y. This is how you stand behind a foolish decision to show is its really better to something that wasn't flawed to begin with. They will quickly realize it.
I think it’ll be suicide if they do. Tesla finds itself in an interesting predicament now. If the next Model 3/Y refresh comes with a yoke, they’ll take a battering for it. If it doesn’t come with a yoke, it’ll raise questions. Now, Tesla might argue that since there’s no driver’s display there’s no need for a yoke. Guess we’ll find out!

I think it’ll be suicide if they do. Tesla finds itself in an interesting predicament now. If the next Model 3/Y refresh comes with a yoke, they’ll take a battering for it. If it doesn’t come with a yoke, it’ll raise questions. Now, Tesla might argue that since there’s no driver’s display there’s no need for a yoke. Guess we’ll find out!
Or they can just change their mind

Or they can just change their mind
1. Musk has demonstrated incredible resistance to admitting when he’s been wrong.

2. I don’t hate the actual yoke; I despise the awful haptic controls, in particular the wandering turn signals, the stupid horn ‘button’ placement, and the slow, awkward on-screen direction selection (formerly known as “shifting.”) These new controls are demonstrably worse than stalks in every way and we’re most likely stuck with them, whether or not round wheels become available through any avenue including the aftermarket.

3. I predict that the stalkless controls will soon infect the entire fleet, to Tesla’s great detriment.

1. Musk has demonstrated incredible resistance to admitting when he’s been wrong.

2. I don’t hate the actual yoke; I despise the awful haptic controls, in particular the wandering turn signals, the stupid horn ‘button’ placement, and the slow, awkward on-screen direction selection (formerly known as “shifting.”) These new controls are demonstrably worse than stalks in every way and we’re most likely stuck with them, whether or not round wheels become available through any avenue including the aftermarket.

3. I predict that the stalkless controls will soon infect the entire fleet, to Tesla’s great detriment.
Weird, I totally disagree with that. I think the haptic feedback works fine, especially the turn signals. Much prefer that to a stalk.

So, 3 months with the yoke now.

My feeling have not changed--I like the yoke better than the wheel--I think it has better ergonomics and overall and, paired with the stalkless controls, makes for a better control scheme. Driving my wife's X feels like a step backwards at this point--having most controls under my thumbs and maintaining a firm grip on the yoke at all times seems better--as I've described other places, it is ergonomically similar to and Xbox or Playstation game controller.

It is not perfect, the force touch button scheme still needs refining--the changes in the last update were a step in the right direction, and I'd expect Tesla to continue to tweak and add functionality.

So, 3 months with the yoke now.

My feeling have not changed--I like the yoke better than the wheel--I think it has better ergonomics and overall and, paired with the stalkless controls, makes for a better control scheme. Driving my wife's X feels like a step backwards at this point--having most controls under my thumbs and maintaining a firm grip on the yoke at all times seems better--as I've described other places, it is ergonomically similar to and Xbox or Playstation game controller.

It is not perfect, the force touch button scheme still needs refining--the changes in the last update were a step in the right direction, and I'd expect Tesla to continue to tweak and add functionality.

That is just silly talk. You know the yoke will wake up and kill you in your sleep.

Also, in this thread, actual use and experience in favor do not count as validity.