Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And Rivian falls (to adopt NACS from 2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

moa999

2020 3 SR+ MSM
Mar 4, 2020
Sydney, AUS
Rivian follows Ford and GM
screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2023.06.25-23_50_15.png

Now the proplem will be the need to use an adapter for the L2 J1772 which is not lockable, unless you use a special collar.

I noticed on my Sentry camera that often someone tried to unlock my Tesla when using an L2 charger, especially when it was a free charger.

There is a need to have a J1772 adapter with an integrated lock, the same way the Tesla to CCS-1 is lockable.

Reactions: Ron Swanson
Rivian said: "This opens charging for Rivian vehicles on Tesla's Supercharger network across the United States and Canada. Access starts as soon as Spring 2024."
This assumes that Rivian as a company will still exist by then and still be selling vehicles 😁 . I bought a couple of shares in RIVN at $110 back in Nov. 2021. As I check my stock ticker right now, it's at $15.47. My only hope is that this news will start pumping up the share price. A bit earlier in 2021 I also bought LCID at $24.89 :( so don't ever ask me for stock advice.

Yeah I know that adapters will be made available in the future so that the existing R1s can use a Supercharger but unless RIVN is around for several more years and delivering new vehicles according to their forecast (50K by the end of this year, 85K R1s in 2024), the number of Rivians on the road will just be a speck in the bucket when compared to Teslas.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm getting slightly worried with GM/Ford/Rivian and likely Stellantis/ Mercedes all joining NCAS ... yet outside of big metropolitan areas there's still a lot of cross-country chargers which aren't scaled up enough to handle all that demand. Sheridan WY is only 4 stalls as is Gillette WY ... both are MUST stops if you are traveling on I-90 there from Wyoming / SD into Montana. Oklahoma City and Ardmore OK are each only 8 chargers and chronically overflown already... Tesla is doing a great job scaling up chargers in metropolitan areas but the spots off interstates/ cross-country travel aren't getting much love.

This assumes that Rivian as a company will still exist by then and still be selling vehicles 😁 . I bought a couple of shares in RIVN at $110 back in Nov. 2021. As I check my stock ticker right now, it's at $15.47. My only hope is that this news will start pumping up the share price. A bit earlier in 2021 I also bought LCID at $24.89 :( so don't ever ask me for stock advice.

Yeah I know that adapters will be made available in the future so that the existing R1s can use a Supercharger but unless RIVN is around for several more years and delivering new vehicles according to their forecast (50K by the end of this year, 85K R1s in 2024), the number of Rivians on the road will just be a speck in the bucket when compared to Teslas.

Especially when the Cybertruck will be available !!!

I'm getting slightly worried with GM/Ford/Rivian and likely Stellantis/ Mercedes all joining NCAS ... yet outside of big metropolitan areas there's still a lot of cross-country chargers which aren't scaled up enough to handle all that demand. Sheridan WY is only 4 stalls as is Gillette WY ... both are MUST stops if you are traveling on I-90 there from Wyoming / SD into Montana. Oklahoma City and Ardmore OK are each only 8 chargers and chronically overflown already... Tesla is doing a great job scaling up chargers in metropolitan areas but the spots off interstates/ cross-country travel aren't getting much love.
The V3 overlay (remember, V2s are not NACS compatible) has started on I90 and I84 though Idaho and Montana, so no reason to think it won't proceed Eastward. As with all the others, no native port until 2025, so Tesla has a decent chunk of time to finish the overlay, and/or let 3rd party stations take up the slack.

The V3 overlay (remember, V2s are not NACS compatible) has started on I90 and I84 though Idaho and Montana, so no reason to think it won't proceed Eastward. As with all the others, no native port until 2025, so Tesla has a decent chunk of time to finish the overlay, and/or let 3rd party stations take up the slack.
thanks! so my precious V2 chargers won't be blocked by non-Teslas?

sheridan WY is such a neat chill spot i dont mind slower speeds...

Reactions: Tinkerin and DrGriz
thanks! so my precious V2 chargers won't be blocked by non-Teslas?
That is until it's upgraded to V3+.

Argued in this thread the increase in raw demand from non-Tesla's is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as Tesla can offset with an increase in raw supply.

Hope Tesla can navigate this so we've got more capacity online when SCers start to welcome non-Tesla en mass.

The Tesla Gigafactory2 in Buffalo, NY can build enough new Superchargers for the future increase need.
Also the pre-wired set of four stalls can be installed in few days.

The bottle neck is often getting a new transformer installed as it seems to take three to six months, or even more,
to see a Super charger on line after been completed.

The Tesla Gigafactory2 in Buffalo, NY can build enough new Superchargers for the future increase need.
Also the pre-wired set of four stalls can be installed in few days.

The bottle neck is often getting a new transformer installed as it seems to take three to six months, or even more,
to see a Super charger on line after been completed.
yeah... and crews probably love being deployed in metropolitan areas... they can work on a charger after charger within just 20 miles and sleep at home at night. where Tesla is running slow is the "middle of nowhere" chargers which are so needed for cross-country travel.

For example Roswell / NM (or Carlsbad / NM) have no SuperCharger and make crossing that big empty space impossible (DFW metroplex to White Sands/Ruidoso or Midland/Odessa/Ft Stockton to Albuquerque on the fastest route). DFW to OKC and Tulsa is also notoriously short on charging stalls... Ardmore / OK and OKC are a mess... long wait times... meanwhile within the DFW metroplex they are adding chargers like crazy for the folks living in apartments.

yeah... and crews probably love being deployed in metropolitan areas... they can work on a charger after charger within just 20 miles and sleep at home at night. where Tesla is running slow is the "middle of nowhere" chargers which are so needed for cross-country travel.

For example Roswell / NM (or Carlsbad / NM) have no SuperCharger and make crossing that big empty space impossible (DFW metroplex to White Sands/Ruidoso or Midland/Odessa/Ft Stockton to Albuquerque on the fastest route). DFW to OKC and Tulsa is also notoriously short on charging stalls... Ardmore / OK and OKC are a mess... long wait times... meanwhile within the DFW metroplex they are adding chargers like crazy for the folks living in apartments.
When we get actually serious about public chargers we’ll need to mandate public utilities involvement. That will make rural/remote DCFC construction happen- not at the whim of a fickle CEO or dieselgate. My wild guess is most substations have capacity for some DCFC and others may need some infrastructure $ to upgrade. If every public utility put in a DCFC there wouldn’t be the charging gaps.