Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the day was going so well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 100/300/100 right now (have had that since I was running around in my Civic), and when I got the MS the insurance agent asked me if I felt like I should up my limits or if I was happy where I was at. So I had her quote me an umbrella policy (for 1Mil) and also what is would be to jump to 300/500/300 which I think is the next step... In any case, State Farm does allow higher than 100 for the limits, I think it is just that once you hit that level, for the cost benefit (especially if you are insuring ANYTHING else in your possession) you might as well just get an umbrella.

Just to note, I live in VA.

As far as the "mandatory minimums" that I saw others posting about, each state is different, but most of the time I have looked into it, it was something stupid low like 10/20/10 or 20/50/20... That is coming from someone who has had to get insurance in Ohio, North Carolina, and now Virginia... They don't impose very high limits on you.

With such a low liability insurance, dont people get ruined if they cause accident and result is severe injury or death of another person? With severe injury just hospital bill in USA is likely to be wayyyy over $100K, not to mention any resulting disability and material damage.

Nathan,

Thanks for the additional information about the truck. I had been wondering just how hard of a hit it was, with regards to assessing the safety of the third row seats. Given that the truck hit you hard enough to move you 100' and puncture its radiator I'd say it was a solid hit and a fair guage to the safety of the third row.

Do you have any idea what that part on the ground is, under the front of the truck? Did it hit you hard enough to knock a part of the truck off?

Glad you are alright. Really do listen to the advice here about getting checked out, seeing how hard the impact was.

EarlyAdopter,

Sorry not sure what that piece is - although I'm sure it's not from my car (nothing of that size was missing).

Other notes: car was towed off to King of Prussia (about an hour away) today, it will be appraised later this week. I was recently asked what I was thinking/feeling as/after I was hit and I was reminded of couple things:

1. I was suprised that the air bags didn't go off (after some thought figured that it was appropriate for them not to go off)
2. There was nothing on the screen(s) identifying I was in an accident. Everything was *normal* (see next note)
3. When I drove the car I attempted to not make any left turns, but I had to do a couple. Out of habit I hit the left blinker (which of course wasn't going to work) but there was nothing on the screen showing that I had turned the blinker on - ok, the blinker doesn't work... But no error message about it

Obviously pretty minor stuff, since I had totally forgot about them until I was asked.

With such a low liability insurance, dont people get ruined if they cause accident and result is severe injury or death of another person? With severe injury just hospital bill in USA is likely to be wayyyy over $100K, not to mention any resulting disability and material damage.

Theoretically, yes. In practice it is difficult to get any real money out of the at-fault driver. Most states (like mine) list things that you can't take from anyone and they include their house, one car and retirement plan. Well, how many people have much beyond that? Very few.

So instead the auto-insurance has coverage for "uninsured/under insured motorist". Say I'm hit by someone and my claim is more than their insurance can cover. My insurance company then pays the difference under the "under insured" part of my policy. MY ins co then has the option to sue the at-fault driver (but they rarely do).

Theoretically, yes. In practice it is difficult to get any real money out of the at-fault driver. Most states (like mine) list things that you can't take from anyone and they include their house, one car and retirement plan. Well, how many people have much beyond that? Very few.

So instead the auto-insurance has coverage for "uninsured/under insured motorist". Say I'm hit by someone and my claim is more than their insurance can cover. My insurance company then pays the difference under the "under insured" part of my policy. MY ins co then has the option to sue the at-fault driver (but they rarely do).

In that case I expect that insurance company charge its customers enough for this relatively low coverage insurance to cover this "extra" cost.

Its totally different system from what we have in Europe.

If your driver liability insurance wouldnt be sufficient to cover all the expenses (or if you were drunk), insurance company would still pay for damage caused, but it would definitely go after at-fault driver - and its likely that they would be able to take his house, pension, garnish his wage etc.

This is the reason why we have high driver liability coverage - for example my liability coverage limit is €4 million.

Wait. You mean to tell me that a Model S gets rear-ended hard by an 18-wheeler, and the Model S drives home and the big rig is broken?!
Big Rig 0 Tesla 1

glad to hear you weren't seriously injured. Hopefully they can fix this quickly for you (if it's not totaled).

Update...

So my car is at Karosserie in King of Prussia (which is over an hour away). It was towed there Monday(? - how quickly I foroget). Today my adjuster took a look at it. Both the adjuster & Karosserie seem to think the car can be repaired - however, the adjuster needs some parts to be pulled off for closer inspection. That means he has to come back and since Karosserie is in the process of moving - that won't happen until the middle of next week :mad: That all said, the early estimate of getting my car back is 3 weeks.

Side note: it's a good thing I sent this to an authorized Tesla dealer... My insurance company doesn't have pricing yet for Telsa parts and has to depend on Karosserie for all of that.

On the plus side, my insurance company has stated I was totally not at fault :rolleyes:

That is just to painful to look at. Most importantly, you are fine. Amazingly, your car was drivableand they think they can repair it! Wow, they must be good! Why can't the this type of accident make the news rather than bashers?

So sorry to hear this happened but glad nobody was hurt! I'm impressed how well the back-end held up especially considering it didn't have the extra support added by the rear facing seats. Just goes to show how safe a car can be. Thanks for sharing your story, hope you get back on the road soon!