Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would anyone here endorse buying S60 (not D)?
Well, there are always going to be people for whom the 60 price is right at the top of what they can afford, so
for them the D is kind of a non-starter. As to whether those who can afford the D should spring for it, I'll just say
that I'm certain there are people who could be perfectly happy with the non-D and do other fun things with the
money they'd save.

Reactions: e-FTW
Remember also that the non-Ds have a bigger frunk.

The price of the 75D is exactly the same as it was yesterday -- 79,500.
With the refresh front-end, I am pretty sure all frunks are the same size now, even with or without the bidodefense HEPA filter option. I'm sure it was to streamline production and part supply to have common parts.

Can't see why anyone wouldn't think this is a great move by Tesla. Lowers the price point to attract many more buyers (including myself) who otherwise wouldn't buy a Model S because of the cost. It's now just in the price zone that I would be comfortable spending. Now need to decide if I'll hold out for Model 3 or take the plunge on an S. I love the fact that if I find 210 miles of range isn't quite cutting it that I can later upgrade to greater range by unlocking the full capabilities of the battery pack.

Citation?
I'll try to explain (hopefully this does not get removed for snippiness)

Model S: The citation is: this announcement. No company launches a lower margin product (previously offered at a higher price) , when demand is strong enough to support current higher margin products.

Model X: The order book has been reduced/cancelled due to buyers waiting to see if problems can be fixed. So the Chinese now get theirs ahead of schedule.

Does this make the refreshed 70s (that have the option to upgrade to 75) more unique and perhaps more valuable? Thoughts?
Tesla Model S & X platform have so many variants (especially Model S) that it's almost, but not quite, that each car is either unique or only has a handful of peers, as peered through the lenses of regional variety. Of course, if you do a factory insider list of all exactly the same models, I'm sure there's more correlations, but I'm just saying from a second-hand used market perspective, it will be hard to micro-specify exactly what you want and come up with a large list of identical cars; used Tesla buyers will have to search with search engines that allow "kind of like this" searches, rather than ultra-specific searches.

With the refresh front-end, I am pretty sure all frunks are the same size now, even with or without the bidodefense HEPA filter option. I'm sure it was to streamline production and part supply to have common parts.

This is correct. I have the refreshed 70D and didn't opt for the premium upgrade package. My frunk size is reduced to the same size as those with the package.

Well, there's the whole hauling around 25% extra battery weight thing :(

Nope, you are hauling around the same weight as the 2012 Model S pack. The cells hold more energy for the same weight.

You could argue that Tesla could make a new pack that weighs less but they have not done so. That means the 25% extra weight argument is either a misconception or a strawman argument.

If they put a 90 or 100 kWh pack in it and software limited it to 60 then you'd be hauling around the extra weight. But the weight difference isn't just capacity1/capacity2. You have to check the weight of the pack in an actual car with all the cooling/bms/pack frame and you'll find the supporting pieces make the weight difference less than the capacity difference as a percentage.

Tesla only makes 2 pack sizes at a time for the Model S/X and thus the there are only two pack weights no matter what kWh they are labled as holding.

So 2012 60 kWh pack weighs about the same as 2016 75 kWh pack
and 2012 85 kWh pack weighs about the same as 2016 90 kWh or 100 kWh pack (whenever they decide to release it)

Last edited:
Smart:
  • Lower entry - I admit I only test drove/bought when the 70 came to market and got me thinking - then chose the 85D
  • Convert 3 placeholders to owners - surprised there is no specific buyback option presented to placeholders
  • CPO gold: as mentioned by others, Tesla can take your 60 in trade and sell it as a 75 Autopilot(with lightly used battery) at no new cost to them
WTF?:
  • I can't get over the feeling that this is Tesla ransomware. What's the cost to Tesla of releasing the full capacity? Close to nothing, right? Maybe the battery retains a little more capacity for resale. I guess "market value" will be the justification for the $8500 ransom. Leaves a bad taste.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff
I'll try to explain (hopefully this does not get removed for snippiness)

Model S: The citation is: this announcement. No company launches a lower margin product (previously offered at a higher price) , when demand is strong enough to support current higher margin products.

Model X: The order book has been reduced/cancelled due to buyers waiting to see if problems can be fixed. So the Chinese now get theirs ahead of schedule.
Not snippy (at least, IMO), but not terribly convincing, either. I think you may be oversimplifying Tesla's motives here.

There's no ransom going on here at all - you can either enjoy access to a fantastic car at a lower price point, or not.

Smart:
  • Lower entry - I admit I only test drove/bought when the 70 came to market and got me thinking - then chose the 85D
  • Convert 3 placeholders to owners - surprised there is no specific buyback option presented to placeholders
  • CPO gold: as mentioned by others, Tesla can take your 60 in trade and sell it as a 75 Autopilot(with lightly used battery) at no new cost to them
WTF?:
  • I can't get over the feeling that this is Tesla ransomware. What's the cost to Tesla of releasing the full capacity? Close to nothing, right? Maybe the battery retains a little more capacity for resale. I guess "market value" will be the justification for the $8500 ransom. Leaves a bad taste.

Not really, you guys have the same battery as the new 60 even. Just different 70D badging on back for now until you upgrade ;-). Both have a 75kWh battery.

Overall this including larger batteries than sold seems a little wasteful - definitely a unique practice.
However, whatever it seems, I don't think it is wasteful:

I'm not in possession of the numbers, but nonetheless, here's some numbers to consider:
  • Larger capacity batteries used for the same capacity allow more cushion.
  • That cushion may allow the battery to last longer.
  • That cushion is also useful in the group of people with less money to spend: their tighter margins may also confer tighter performance demands by those users, putting relatively more wear and tear on the battery, and essentially making more cushion built in a good thing for them.
  • Fewer battery sizes allows some streamlining and some savings due to streamlining.
  • The increased cushion can be used for value at the end of life of the battery pack, somehow. For instance, battery components have more life, or more quantity, or both. (Batteries get reused at end of vehicle pack life, e.g., in Tesla Energy.)
  • The ease of upgrade as your situation changes is valuable.
  • If all 6 points above assist Tesla and the marketplace in making available a lower cost product for those who need that, then this will help the consumers.
Thinking about that last point, it seems like Model S is streamlined enough in the factory that Tesla has an abundance of confidence in producing that car now. They're essentially daring buyers to increase the demand a little. But a lot of this just seems like right-sizing to me, since Tesla can, and it is better for everyone. I've always expected the possibility of continual adjustments in available battery options from Tesla, and will continue to expect it. I think this will just be normal.

I can't get over the feeling that this is Tesla ransomware. What's the cost to Tesla of releasing the full capacity? Close to nothing, right? Maybe the battery retains a little more capacity for resale. I guess "market value" will be the justification for the $8500 ransom. Leaves a bad taste.

This is actually smart on Tesla's part. Some added revenue down the line, could support resale values, gives the customer a later option of more range. It will be interesting to see how long it takes some hacker to find the key to "unlocking" the range.

I can't get over the feeling that this is Tesla ransomware. What's the cost to Tesla of releasing the full capacity? Close to nothing, right? Maybe the battery retains a little more capacity for resale. I guess "market value" will be the justification for the $8500 ransom. Leaves a bad taste.
When you download a free app with restricted functionality do you think of it as "ransom" when you have to pay to unlock the
remaining capability? This is 2016 -- the idea that only physical objects have value is obsolete. The value of a Tesla is a combination
of the physical unit, the programming, and their "licensing" of some subset of that to you. It's a free world -- no one's forcing you to
enter into that license.

This is actually smart on Tesla's part. Some added revenue down the line, could support resale values, gives the customer a later option of more range. It will be interesting to see how long it takes some hacker to find the key to "unlocking" the range.
I agree that it is smart...on balance, but to me the consideration of value is critical. I expect a more expensive product to have more content, not just be more capable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Model S M.D.