Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good deal for anyone now in the market for an S. It's vital for Tesla to make delivery numbers to support the stock price.
Demand has softened for the S and the X. This is the response, along with the X off to China earlier than projected.

I don't know if saving $5k to lose 10kw is such a good deal. How much extra is the 90kw compared to the 70? I thought much more than $500 per kw. We are making a decision as to whether to buy a model s or model 3. I am not too thrilled by this announcement.

I think tesla will recoup its money at resale, and do the OTA upgrade to 75, rebadge the vehicle and voila.

This is a good deal for anyone now in the market for an S. It's vital for Tesla to make delivery numbers to support the stock price.
Demand has softened for the S and the X. This is the response, along with the X off to China earlier than projected.

If anything, combined sales/demand have increased for the Model X and S. Just looking at the charts linked to below, average monthly sales for the first several months of 2016 is almost 1,000 vehicles higher than the equivalent period last year (combined for the Model X and S).

2016 January - May:
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

2015 January - December:
December 2015 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card

Demand on the X has decreased from the initial 35k ordered, as buyers have postponed/canceled their orders. Sales have increased because they started at 0.

Demand on the S has softened. No company introduces a lower margin product when they are capacity constrained. This is all about keeping the production line rolling, until they release the 3

So does the pack have the extra cells already in it to enable 75KWh? And if so, are those cells always charging with the others? I would think they'd have to otherwise, they would eventually drain down and go bad. So does that make the charging take longer, even though you aren't getting the benefit from the extra time?

The extra battery capacity doesn't slow down charging. It just reduces degradation. It's a win/win if you have it.

You charge all the battery cells all the time, just to a lower percentage compared to max. You still put in the same amount of energy with no downside.

Reactions: SageBrush
The extra battery capacity doesn't slow down charging. It just reduces degradation. It's a win/win if you have it.

You charge all the battery cells all the time, just to a lower percentage compared to max. You still put in the same amount of energy with no downside.
Oh, I see. So the software will just limit how far the whole pack charges...interesting.

That "gimmick" is one that Tesla drivers have used to drive millions of miles already, so they can arrive at their destination relaxed and not exhausted.

When they have blindspot warning that actually works, autopark starts recognizing things regularly and the "truck lust" is fixed, I will agree that AP 1.0 is nothing more than a perpetual beta gimmick. Until then . . .

Pardon if this has been answered before.

So the S60 model will have a 75KW battery software limited to 60KW.

My question is will the S60 (75KW) have the same charging curve characteristics as the 75KW but software capped at 80%?

So an advantage would be much quicker charging to "100%" at a super charger compared to a true 60KW battery?

Another advantage would be having a 20% battery degradation buffer built in?

Can some battery expert confirm?

It should superhcarge as fast as a S75 even when software limited to a S60. Win / Win

Reactions: newtman
Very smart move.

As others noted it increased the price of 75D but does now offer a great entry price. I am now tempted to not wait for Model 3 :) and make it an all Tesla household.

Would anyone here endorse buying S60 (not D)? I am quite conflicted about that.

I doubt Model S sales are lower now with the refresh, just go to Delivery thread and you will see the VIN's are flying
True. However Tesla has ramped up the line to meet guidence. Possibly sales are not keepingup with potential production. Delivery times seem to be dropping and are now near the minimum practable for. Producing a special order car, which allmost all are.

Very smart move.

As others noted it increased the price of 75D but does now offer a great entry price. I am now tempted to not wait for Model 3 :) and make it an all Tesla household.

Would anyone here endorse buying S60 (not D)? I am quite conflicted about that.

Remember also that the non-Ds have a bigger frunk.

The price of the 75D is exactly the same as it was yesterday -- 79,500.

Reactions: newtman
So the top speed is 130MPH for the new 60 model. Upgrading to the 75 doesn't show any top speed increase... I just took Delievery of the 75 before the 60 came out and my top speed is 140MPH. Just something I noticed. I don't ever plan on going that fast. My max is 70 or 75 to get max range.