Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But still no 100D.
Doesn't matter, that much; they already have a 300 mile version out there, which they never had in the S/X platform before. If you're looking for round numbers, let me suggest that a 325 mile range, 1000/3 mile range (333), 350 mile range, 375 mile range, or a 400 mile range are cooler "round numbers" than 100KWh battery pack (except when you're tailgating a Tesla and staring at the badge with jealousy), especially that 400 mile range point. Half a thousand miles will also be another cool number. Let's say they get that out of an 80KWh battery pack; will you be complaining? Or, from a 65KWh battery pack? (I know the physics doesn't work out, but I'm just asking from a perspective of marketing.)

Last edited:
When they have blindspot warning that actually works, autopark starts recognizing things regularly and the "truck lust" is fixed, I will agree that AP 1.0 is nothing more than a perpetual beta gimmick. Until then . . .
Hmm. The many "dislikes" on this poster made me afraid to post. I am also a pro-improved AP hardware opinion person as the right path for the company, so I appreciate some of Reeler's remarks, but the rebuttals also have merit. It's just one of those sucky things about life: what's available now is just what is available now, and at some point, now is good enough.

Reactions: Reeler
So Tesla just beats the magic 200 mile range with the 60. That might tempt some Model 3 reservation holders who planned to add a lot of options.

It may also entice people considering a Chevy Bolt. Its base price will be around $37,500 (Chevy says as low as $30k after tax credits) but once you add some options that make it more like the 60, how close will the price difference be?

So Tesla just beats the magic 200 mile range with the 60. That might tempt some Model 3 reservation holders who planned to add a lot of options.

It may also entice people considering a Chevy Bolt. Its base price will be around $37,500 (Chevy says as low as $30k after tax credits) but once you add some options that make it more like the 60, how close will the price difference be?
Tesla just beat the magic 200 mile range with the 60 in 2013. Nothing new here except the price is lower than when I bought my 60 three years ago.

Tesla just beat the magic 200 mile range with the 60 in 2013. Nothing new here except the price is lower than when I bought my 60 three years ago.

True, but it is a pain and advised against charging to 100% so 90% which is typical really just nets a good 189 rated range miles?

Someone needs to test these new batteries to see if they are sitting with the unactivated portion charged, or uncharged. If charged it should slow when charging to a crawl to 100%, but if the 15kWh difference is not being used, should get up to 100% quite easy/fast still and not be a big deal to charge to 100% on a regular basis, so you really can get that 200+ rated miles stated.

WTF?:
  • I can't get over the feeling that this is Tesla ransomware. What's the cost to Tesla of releasing the full capacity? Close to nothing, right? Maybe the battery retains a little more capacity for resale. I guess "market value" will be the justification for the $8500 ransom. Leaves a bad taste.
You carry around a higher margin product with you from time of purchase, that if you want to activate, you buy. For now, you have a lower margin product. Tesla marketing analytics figured out this will net Tesla a higher overall financially better position over time, regardless of the individual margin on the lower-end vehicles. They will recoup higher margins as people upgrade, either original owners or CPO, they are hoping, and/or, they are hoping, they will recoup higher margins overall through quantity, and/or this is some more complicated strategy that includes increasing the number of Tesla's in the marketplace that isn't just near term margin-specific. Or, as bears are pointing out, perhaps they're lowering their margin because of demand. I would hardly call this a huge lowering; Tesla has been increasing its prices for quite a while now. Also, perhaps they're lowering their margin from more than enough to enough --- their margin was too high, leaving too much business on the table. We're not in possession of the numbers, so it's hard to know if they're laughing all the way to the bank or just doing what they have to do to do very well.

Just looked at my MVPA for my 2013 Model S 60...Base price was $57,400 + $10,000 for the 60kWh battery upgrade (from 40kWh)...so $67,400 with no other options (and another $1170 for delivery fee, final inspection etc.) PLUS, I paid another $2000 to enable supercharging and have no power folding mirrors, tech package, heated seats and other sensors. So this new S60 is really a great deal, and I'm happy that Tesla is actually reducing the cost for new customers AND giving them a better vehicle.

You, sir, are giving early adopters a good name!

I admit that I'd like to squeeze more dollars out of the resale value of my '13 P85+, but when as you point out Tesla is reducing the cost on this model and building a better car as well... maybe they will do the same across the equivalent for the P/P+ line. That'd be great!

Alan

This makes sense from a Sales and Marketing standpoint as Model S sales were actually starting to slip in 2Q16.

If anything, combined sales/demand have increased for the Model X and S. Just looking at the charts linked to below, average monthly sales for the first several months of 2016 is almost 1,000 vehicles higher than the equivalent period last year (combined for the Model X and S).
2016 January - May:
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard
2015 January - December:
December 2015 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card

upload_2016-6-9_14-3-19.png

Demand on the X has decreased from the initial 35k ordered, as buyers have postponed/canceled their orders. Sales have increased because they started at 0.
Demand on the S has softened. No company introduces a lower margin product when they are capacity constrained. This is all about keeping the production line rolling, until they release the 3

I agree :cool:

Reactions: X Yes?
True, but it is a pain and advised against charging to 100% so 90% which is typical really just nets a good 189 rated range miles?

Someone needs to test these new batteries to see if they are sitting with the unactivated portion charged, or uncharged. If charged it should slow when charging to a crawl to 100%, but if the 15kWh difference is not being used, should get up to 100% quite easy/fast still and not be a big deal to charge to 100% on a regular basis, so you really can get that 200+ rated miles stated.

Well, we obviously won't know for certain until a new S60 gets out in the wild - but we know that the software locked S40s had the top portion locked off. I'd expect to see the same again - which would mean that 100% charging the new S60 would happen quickly and be perfectly safe for longevity.

As the owner of 2 "Classic" 60's, I am happy to see the 60 return. The new price point is great, and and I am happy to see that supercharging is included (even though I paid extra for it on mine). Hopefully this will get some Bolt and Model 3 buyers to make the leap to Model S.

I do feel that including the unlimited mile warranty on the new 60, when the classic 60 only has a 125,000 mile warranty does really hurt our resale value though. It sends a message that Tesla does not have the same faith in the classic 60's that is has in the rest of the Model S line. It would be great it Tesla would extend all model S power train warranty's to 8 years/unlimited miles. It would be a great way to help the 40/60 owners keep their resale value up, and would in reality cost Tesla very little. Of course, I doubt that would ever happen.

Remember also that the non-Ds have a bigger frunk.

The price of the 75D is exactly the same as it was yesterday -- 79,500.

Pretty sure this is incorrect. I agree with others. I think it was 75,XXX, and defaulted to the D model. Selecting RWD, or -$5,000, dropped to $70,XXX, or $71,XXX. This is for the refreshed version, during June. Maybe someone has a cashed page, someplace? The point is, most of us recognize a price increase for the 75kwh car (66k + 8.5k, for RWD).

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is incorrect. I agree with others. I think it was 75,XXX, and defaulted to the D model. Selecting RWD, or -$5,000, dropped to $71,XXX. This is for the refreshed version, during June. Maybe someone has a cashed page, someplace? The point is, most of us recognize a price increase for the 75kwh car (66k + 8.5k, for RWD).
I saw a $5200 saving for the 60 over the 70. Then they want $9000 extrA for the 75. It used to be $3k extra to upgrade to the 75. I agree with you they raised the price. This is all good stuff for Teslas bottom line, but as a prospecting buyer of a 70 I am not sure I find the savings worth it.

This announcement certainly explains all the 60kW CPO cars that turned up a couple months ago. Definitely best to clear out that inventory ahead of the new model.

As for the Model S demand comments a few posts ago, keep in mind the North American deliveries are always softer in the first couple months of the quarter as Tesla builds cars for other markets to allow for shipping lead time. The last month of every quarter sees huge increases in US deliveries.

My store is between the freeway exit and Tesla's Seattle delivery center and there have been a steady stream of trucks delivery new cars all week and their lot is jammed packed with cars awaiting delivery.