Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another bad SP100D delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought @AirKuhl's mention of corrupted software was strange, I wondered what he meant. Under @jeffro1's questioning, @AirKuhl mentioned that his car was delivered without working driver profiles. I was done right there -- I didn't and don't understand how that's possible, but that weirdness was enough to (in my mind) lend credibility. I can easily picture a software guy screwing around with the car, trying to figure out the root cause of the problem, and finally just saying "f*ck it, I'm just gonna slam a complete new set of good bits all over every processor in the car".
Driver Profiles have been involved with software issues in the past. I don't know what it is about them, or what conditions are required for that feature to be enabled, but there have been deliveries in the past where cars should have had that feature enabled but did not. Early vehicles had it provided with the Tech Package, and early Textile seats didn't get them even with Technology Package, so there's some set of rules that are required to be met for it to be turned on. We've seen occasional cases on the forum where this has gone wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
I chose a factory delivery in Fremont,
From my extremely bad experience of a Factory Delivery (in Fremont Store), I strongly urge NO ONE to ever do a Tesla Factory Delivery, EVER!!! Find a good Tesla Store, and order through them. At times in the past (although these things change), I'd recommend both Santana Row (mixed reviews from others) and Palo Alto (I've never seen reviews from others). My only interaction with the Santa Clara Service Center was excellent; if they also are a Store, I'd heartily recommend checking them out for delivery. Although my Sales experience at Seaside was quite good, it was mixed for Service; for easy stuff, I would trust them, but my expectations aren't high, either. But if it were down to Fremont vs. Seaside, I'd take Seaside every time.

My bad experience at the Fremont Factory delivery center was bad in numerous multifaceted ways. I could tell that I was treated far worse than almost any Tesla Store delivery review I've ever read. The only way this seems plausible is if Fremont Factory is just a training center where they throw all their worst employees to see if they work out. I wouldn't even hold such a bad experience against Tesla as a whole since it can't be representative of any successful company.

Last edited:
From my extremely bad experience of a Factory Delivery, I strongly urge no one to ever do this. Find a good Tesla Store, and order through them. At times in the past (although these things change), I'd recommend both Santana Row (mixed reviews from others) and Palo Alto (I've never seen reviews from others). My only interaction with the Santa Clara Service Center was excellent; if they also are a Store, I'd heartily recommend checking them out for delivery.

My bad experience at the Fremont Factory delivery center was bad in numerous multifaceted ways. I could tell that I was treated far worse than almost any Tesla Store delivery review I've ever read. The only way this seems plausible is if Fremont Factory is just a training center where they throw all their worst delivery employees to see if they work out. I wouldn't even hold such a bad experience against Tesla as a whole since it can't be representative of any successful company.

Same bad experience in Fremont. I was never offered to pick up my car in Santana or Palo Alto but it was defaulted to Fremont. Is picking it up in another SC's an option for the future owners?

Same bad experience in Fremont. I was never offered to pick up my car in Santana or Palo Alto but it was defaulted to Fremont. Is picking it up in another SC's an option for the future owners?
Perhaps for Inventory cars not. However, in my case, I ordered new, so I could order through any store (in person) and have it delivered to them. I am not sure of the full range of options available, however; if it is an option to have an inventory car delivered to a store for delivery, I'd pay the extra, just in the 40% chance it would be a more reliable and better experience, even if it added delays.

Here's what I'd expect, if you are able to request an inventory car transferred to a store, in a typical "bad case":

1. Cost more to pick up at store.
2. Delay shipping to store.
3. Shipping damage.
4. Store receives car. Store looks it over, finds trouble, and starts to repair it.
5. Store takes 3-6 weeks to repair.
6. Store schedules delivery with you.
7. You see car, and note more problems.
8. Store fixes most of those problems, another 4 weeks.
9. You pick up, note a few more problems, and schedule for fixing in 1-2 months.

That seems better than a Fremont delivery, to me; at least, the store people won't treat you like you're a foreigner, and get totally baffled by your questions and leave you in purgatory forever. They would have the common sense to catch a few issues and fix them. Then, they'd work with you on the rest.

Your info says you are from Sunnyvale. I think they have a store. I'd be un-surprised to hear that they are an OK delivery store. Most stores seem reasonable. Definitely some stores are better than others; to any prospective owner, I always recommend to go get a few reviews of the closest Tesla Stores to you.

I think the breakdown that really happens is that anyplace that is too impersonal just doesn't have the human connection to engender good work. The Fremont Factory seems to have this attitude that they somehow service half of the world's Teslas, and they must be good enough just because of their name, take it or leave it, from the notion that they are the center of it all, and it gets kind of cold.

Last edited:
Perhaps for Inventory cars not. However, in my case, I ordered new, so I could order through any store (in person) and have it delivered to them. I am not sure of the full range of options available, however; if it is an option to have an inventory car delivered to a store for delivery, I'd pay the extra, just in the 40% chance it would be a more reliable and better experience, even if it added delays.

Here's what I'd expect, if you are able to request an inventory car transferred to a store, in a typical "bad case":

1. Cost more to pick up at store.
2. Delay shipping to store.
3. Shipping damage.
4. Store receives car. Store looks it over, finds trouble, and starts to repair it.
5. Store takes 3-6 weeks to repair.
6. Store schedules delivery with you.
7. You see car, and note more problems.
8. Store fixes most of those problems, another 4 weeks.
9. You pick up, note a few more problems, and schedule for fixing in 1-2 months.

That seems better than a Fremont delivery, to me; at least, the store people won't treat you like you're a foreigner, and get totally baffled by your questions and leave you in purgatory forever. They would have the common sense to catch a few issues and fix them. Then, they'd work with you on the rest.

Your info says you are from Sunnyvale. I think they have a store. I'd be un-surprised to hear that they are an OK delivery store. Most stores seem reasonable. Definitely some stores are better than others; to any prospective owner, I always recommend to go get a few reviews of the closest Tesla Stores to you.

I think the breakdown that really happens is that anyplace that is too impersonal just doesn't have the human connection to engender good work. The Fremont Factory seems to have this attitude that they somehow service half of the world's Teslas, and they must be good enough just because of their name, take it or leave it, from the notion that they are the center of it all, and it gets kind of cold.

I ordered and put down my deposit on a new car at Santana Row. Car delivered in Fremont...

Just saying that I was never offered to pick up anywhere else than Fremont....
I was stupid and ordered online. Ordering in store is better. The store has better control over your order that way; while "Fremont" is officially a store for online orders, they are a mess, and picking your own non-Fremont store is a superior way to go, which requires in-person ordering.

But, in the case of someone not being "offered" to pick up anywhere but Fremont, I would "ask", then if they dither, then "insist", that it be at a competent Tesla Service Center. Since Santana Row is not a Service Center, then I suppose picking a good Service Center at that point would be a good idea. Many sites are combination Store & Service Center, so that is available. I would further order and take delivery all at the same Store & Service Center, to make everything smoother.

Theoretically, what this does, is that when the Tesla Store & Service Center gets the car destined for you off the delivery truck, they can look it over, and theoretically stick it in their service department, fix any issues on the spot, and then deliver it to you. In practice, it's actually a few more discrete steps than this (such as you sometimes have to notice problems, or they may not notice until after an appointment has been set, and have to reschedule, or they may schedule before full inspection requiring reschedule, and they may have to order parts and want to have you come back after delivery, which you probably rightly should decline and wait for fully working vehicle before paying, etc.).

Last edited:
I picked mine up at Fremont and was also disappointed. I'm jealous of everyone who got cool freebies and indoor delivery in front of a big red Tesla wall for pictures... or with a bow.

I got no goodies, a 30 second walk-through, and a dusty car in a factory parking lot under a pop-up tent. Though, admittedly, that was nearly 4 years ago now. At least the factory tour was great.

Reactions: joebiker25
What stands out to me specifically is the software/missing feature(s) claim... I went back and looked and can't find a single instance where someone has reported a similar incident. I fully realize that doesn't necessarily mean much in the grand scheme as not everyone who has an issue makes a public post about it, but it still stands as odd...
For Illyria they forgot to flip on EAP and FSD even though throughout the entire process of finding and purchasing an inventory car it was absolutely clear that I was paying for it. My scenario was similar to the OP's in this regard -- the vehicle had been optioned downward and my purchased optioned it back up. Provisioning the features was just something they missed during the process.

So there's your instance. :)

I wouldn't have used the phrasing "corrupted" to describe the issue with features not being enabled that should be, but that's a nitpick somewhat.

Reactions: jeffro01
UPDATE:

Tesla finally reached out to me and tried to make things right. While I'll always carry a small scar, they did a great job helping heal the wound. Much more importantly, I got the impression that they are really trying to improve and not just buying off an irate customer.

Good job Tesla, I'm happy again to hang in there with you.

Can add this to the discussion of a Fremont factory vs another location delivery based on our experience. We live in the Bay area also.

Hubby is not 100% clear on how we came to have an option for delivery location, but he did place our order in the Sunnyvale location and were given either Fremont or Palo Alto as destination for pick up. We think he was on the computer with his salesman in Sunnyvale when he made that decision. Why not Sunnyvale also as a choice? I don't know, but as much as we thought it would be fun to see the factory we liked the idea of working with people at the nearby SCs. These are the guys who'll be doing any maintenance and fixing any warranty issues and we thought it would be good to get to know some of them and see the facilities. Living in the area we can always schedule a visit to the factory some other time during the year.

We've been to the Sunnyvale location a couple of times so far and everyone was very helpful; we never felt rushed. Did our test drive there, took a closer look at options before finalizing our order, and picked up our cable organizer from them. When we were up in Palo Alto we stopped in to introduce ourselves to our DS there and learn more about what to expect when we go there on delivery day. Treated very well there too and have to say it's been a pleasure so far for us. Everyone we've met has been professional and helpful. Had no issues either by phone or email. It was actually informative to go to both locations as there were different cars with varying options installed we could see and sit in that way. One location (PA) had the chassis on display and I think it was there we also go to see a Roadster. Different merchandise available at the time too, always nice to see in person before ordering online.

Sorry to hear that not everyone's delivery pick up has been up to expectations. We'll be getting our car any day now and look forward to driving it home. AirKuhl, glad to see things were worked out on your end.

Last edited: