Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another dumb idea, pedestrian low speed noise makers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's there because it's mandated. Actually, I wouldn't mind it if it was on all cars less than a certain dB, because then there would be a real backlash and they would get rid of the silly legislation, but to single out cars with electric motors is just a ploy by the ICE lobbyists to slow the growth of EVs. Nothing to do with safety. If little Johnny runs out in the street and some BMW cuts him down, it's "Stupid kid, didn't look", but if it's an EV "He couldn't hear it coming, so it's the car's fault for not being noisy".

In the seventeen years I've been driving electrified vehicles, the lack of noise hasn't ever been an issue. And the couple of times in parking lots where I wasn't heard, the only way to get the pedestrians attention would be to have an air horn, as they are either talking to their friends or listening to music--in either case the beeps wouldn't register.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that the bill that was passed with overwhelmingly bipartisan support and signed into law by BHO was "just a ploy by the ICE lobbyists to slow the growth of EVs"?

Reactions: DrDabbles
This whole idea bugged me until I read about the increase in blind people being hit by cars since Hybrids and now EVs - all that increase being due to such cars...

Sure we could remake ALL of our roads to have sensors for blind folks... or have Elon make them all smart glasses that self walk... but that’s a little unrealistic...

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that the bill that was passed with overwhelmingly bipartisan support and signed into law by BHO was "just a ploy by the ICE lobbyists to slow the growth of EVs"?
Well, because they didn't include other cars that are just as quiet, it's certainly a smoking gun. No one is going to come out and say that's why they did it.

This whole idea bugged me until I read about the increase in blind people being hit by cars since Hybrids and now EVs - all that increase being due to such cars...
Do the statistics actually show the increase in incidents is due to hybrid/electric cars? Or is it simply that there have been an increase in these types of accidents and, oh by the way, the number of hybrid/electric cars has also increased in recent years? If it's the latter, correlation does not imply causation. Maybe it's just that drivers have become less considerate, more oblivious and/or more distracted of late?

Was it because of blind people.....nothing to do with safety...etc etc etc...anyone actually read the NHTSA study? It actually was a well done study, though it could have been a little more comprehensive on the vehicles it used.
Which NHTSA study? This one that was posted upthread? https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812124
If so, I see that auto/pedestrian accidents are a real problem and that people have been killed or injured as a result of these encounters. I see a very thorough analysis of the types of conditions, situations, vehicles, impairments, locations, etc. that are have contributed to or have been more prone to result in these types of accidents. I see recommendations for what pedestrians and drivers should do to reduce the likelihood of these accidents. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention in that study of hybrid/electric cars (or quiet cars of any ilk) being one of the contributing factors.

If I did miss it, please point out where it talks about this. And if you're referring to a different NTHSA study that does show this, please post a link to it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Do the statistics actually show the increase in incidents is due to hybrid/electric cars? Or is it simply that there have been an increase in these types of accidents and, oh by the way, the number of hybrid/electric cars has also increased in recent years? If it's the latter, correlation does not imply causation. Maybe it's just that drivers have become less considerate, more oblivious and/or more distracted of late?

There has been an increase in pedestrians injured or killed in klutzy accidents from being distracted using their cell phone while walking. It wouldn't be surprising if the increase of pedestrian/car accidents had that as a component in at least some cases.

Which NHTSA study? This one that was posted upthread? https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812124
If so, I see that auto/pedestrian accidents are a real problem and that people have been killed or injured as a result of these encounters. I see a very thorough analysis of the types of conditions, situations, vehicles, impairments, locations, etc. that are have contributed to or have been more prone to result in these types of accidents. I see recommendations for what pedestrians and drivers should do to reduce the likelihood of these accidents. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention in that study of hybrid/electric cars (or quiet cars of any ilk) being one of the contributing factors.

If I did miss it, please point out where it talks about this. And if you're referring to a different NTHSA study that does show this, please post a link to it. Thanks.

Sorry, cant quickly find the study again but it is mentioned in this report https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/812347-minimumsoundrequirements.pdf

Page 2

Yes, the show the increase due to hybrids by collecting collision rate by vehicle. They also utilized a honda hybrid that left its ICE engine on while stopped and moving slowly, which when included in their model reduced the collision rate.

• Informative
Reactions: davewill
I'm sorry, but if thousands of Teslas making a little noise at low speeds saves even one person from being hurt or killed it's worth it. I had a fairly loud back up beeper on the Leaf and I was completely fine with that.

The disregard for human life in this thread and others elsewhere is pretty amazing. And not just the life of the pedestrian, but the driver as well. Imagine killing someone and living with yourself, knowing you've taken someone's child or parent away forever. The legal consequences you'd face are significant, too. All so a quiet car doesn't make a noise to warn people it's coming.

The number of safety systems in the world designed simply on the basis that if one life is saved that the cost has been worth it. Or how many systems exist to prevent simple acts of negligence from becoming life threatening. This is just one more of those that nay-sayers will complain about and then silently fade away as the system shows its value.

The disregard for human life in this thread and others elsewhere is pretty amazing. And not just the life of the pedestrian, but the driver as well. Imagine killing someone and living with yourself, knowing you've taken someone's child or parent away forever. The legal consequences you'd face are significant, too. All so a quiet car doesn't make a noise to warn people it's coming.

The number of safety systems in the world designed simply on the basis that if one life is saved that the cost has been worth it. Or how many systems exist to prevent simple acts of negligence from becoming life threatening. This is just one more of those that nay-sayers will complain about and then silently fade away as the system shows its value.

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease" The more complaints about something help to drive certain advancements and safety features no matter how many or how few would actually be affected by the change. If you loose your child to something that only kills 5 people a year in the world, it is very important to YOU but how many other people and how much money can you bring to bare to stop those 5 people per year being killed?

Building pedestrian bridges over EVERY intersection, with elevators, would save a bunch of people from getting killed from crossing in crosswalks. It would also save countless hours of peoples time waiting for the crosswalk light. It would save a bunch of gasoline being used as cars trying to turn right have to wait for people crossing, or for those cars that are stopped ONLY because people are crossing the street. But that won't ever happen.

Edit: My point being I just hate when people start down the "the disregard for human life..." statements...it's not always that simple.

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease" The more complaints about something help to drive certain advancements and safety features no matter how many or how few would actually be affected by the change. If you loose your child to something that only kills 5 people a year in the world, it is very important to YOU but how many other people and how much money can you bring to bare to stop those 5 people per year being killed?

I agree.

Building pedestrian bridges over EVERY intersection, with elevators, would save a bunch of people from getting killed from crossing in crosswalks. It would also save countless hours of peoples time waiting for the crosswalk light. It would save a bunch of gasoline being used as cars trying to turn right have to wait for people crossing, or for those cars that are stopped ONLY because people are crossing the street. But that won't ever happen.

Yeah. Because a pedestrian bridge is beyond expensive, and simpler solutions exist. Like cars making sound, cross walks, and walk signs that make sounds.

This is an absurd argument, and I didn't say that at all.

Yep now you see that it gets pretty absurd pretty quick huh? Or maybe you are just missing my point. I see the general statement of "the disregard for human life" in combination with "if one life is saved that the cost has been worth it" is an over simplification and a lot of times unrealistic view.

Also, for the record, I don't have a problem with adding noise makers to vehicles at the low speeds where it would make a difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles