Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another fatal autopilot crash - China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thanks @Spidy for the video clip.

Tesla should show a similar test too.

Very impressive especially when a driver purposefully accelerated toward an obstacle and the car automatically braked to a screeching halt to avoid a collision.

Mobileye said Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection will be available in 2018 but it looks like the demonstration did very well for 2016!

AEB should be a safety net, a last ditch automatic effort with no requirement for human input but sadly, the article links to TV news clip and there was no AEB alert sound prior to collision but there were plenty of audio alerts after the collision.

The crumple zone did its job and the cabin looks pretty good from the sides. No tires fell off.

The collision might be a survivable one if the vehicle in front had a low rear bumper. It's a tall truck with sweeping brush assembly in the back, so the lower rear is pretty much hollow.

tesla-china-fatal-crash-4.png
Lower rear bumper standard anywhere in the world is NOT designed for a car running at it at full speed. Most standard can barely keep other car from under-riding in 30 mph. Your head is the ultimate crumple zone if u hit it at any speed above 30mph.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Anyone else equally concerned by the fact this happened in JANUARY? This occurred before the Florida crash and was not disclosed.

Additionally, all of the statistics that were previously stated may have been known to be false at the time they were said?

What's there to disclose? What would that even look like from Tesla?

"There was a fatal accident in China, unfortunately the family won't let us investigate, so please speculate wildly".

Again, where are these "disclosures" from other auto manufacturers?

What's there to disclose? What would that even look like from Tesla?

"There was a fatal accident in China, unfortunately the family won't let us investigate, so please speculate wildly".

Again, where are these "disclosures" from other auto manufacturers?

That is not my point. My point is Elon was lying about the statistics or at best telling a half truth. Now we have proof that when he said "this is the first autopilot fatality" he knew that one had actually occurred in China.

Anyone else equally concerned by the fact this happened in JANUARY? This occurred before the Florida crash and was not disclosed.

Additionally, all of the statistics that were previously stated may have been known to be false at the time they were said?

1) Autopilot status was not objectively verified with the car's log due to family's blocking Tesla from physically accessing the car.

2) Even if it's Autopilot, when people activate it each time, there's a disclosure button for accepting "beta" status.

Thus, it is expected that it's not yet perfected and there would be crashes by its nature.

Crashes with Autopilot should not be a surprise but when they are hidden and become a secret, it just fuels rampant speculations.

That is not my point. My point is Elon was lying about the statistics or at best telling a half truth. Now we have proof that when he said "this is the first autopilot fatality" he knew that one had actually occurred in China.

You have proof? What proof do you have of when Tesla/Elon was notified? Where is the proof that AP was enabled? Nobody that was in the car survived to even tell us that it was and Tesla hasn't been given access to the logs. At this point the only proof we have is that the driver wasn't paying attention, was in a crash, and died.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad

Only you're making an assumption based off of information you couldn't possibly know... Mainly whether or not Tesla knows if AP was engaged and according to them they don't and the family isn't cooperating.

Perhaps you should understand the accusation you're making before you make it... Just a suggestion...

Jeff

"virtually"
Also, I think you'll find the Mercedes manuals contain the same disclaimers as Tesla.
I'm not so sure that's true. The current E-Class manual does not specifically warn its emergency brake assist is ineffective against stopped vehicles in, or partially in, the lane. Indeed, it specifically seems to indicate it will brake to reduce collision force.

Our Volvo V60 has radar+lidar for this case, and will apply as much braking force as necessary. It even works with something as small as pedestrians and bicyclists. It's awareness of the road around it is pretty impressive.

Considering the rapid expansion of automated braking systems over the past two years, I'm sure there are more.

Still, ok, let's assume that "virtually" no automakers besides the two mentioned here support this case. Tesla is continually stating how safe the system is, and yet it has major limitations that at least some of their competitors have solved. I think that's what gives some pause. Even if AP wasn't enabled, this is clearly a major limitation of the current sensor suite or software package. It seems clear to me, at least, that an automated emergency braking system should be able to detect a big truck stopped half in its lane.

Reactions: Cyclone and Matias
I'm not so sure that's true. The current E-Class manual does not specifically warn its emergency brake assist is ineffective against stopped vehicles in, or partially in, the lane. Indeed, it specifically seems to indicate it will brake to reduce collision force.

Our Volvo V60 has radar+lidar for this case, and will apply as much braking force as necessary. It even works with something as small as pedestrians and bicyclists. It's awareness of the road around it is pretty impressive.

Considering the rapid expansion of automated braking systems over the past two years, I'm sure there are more.

Still, ok, let's assume that "virtually" no automakers besides the two mentioned here support this case. Tesla is continually stating how safe the system is, and yet it has major limitations that at least some of their competitors have solved. I think that's what gives some pause. Even if AP wasn't enabled, this is clearly a major limitation of the current sensor suite or software package. It seems clear to me, at least, that an automated emergency braking system should be able to detect a big truck stopped half in its lane.

Oh awesome, that's good to hear actually. More pressure to improve for Tesla is nothing but a good thing to me. That wasn't the case I think until pretty recently, right?

I remember looking at Volvo a couple of years ago and the salespeople were really downplaying the safety package as if it didn't really work or was annoying and most people turned it off. I found that.... odd.. Maybe they just didn't have any on the lot.

I'm with you on this... I am not terribly impressed with Tesla's implementation of other active safety features, outside of autosteer, in relation to the competition. Blind spot detection, and object collision avoidance seem quite a bit (some may say significantly) behind the competition in their current implementation.

While autosteer, IMHO, is extremely well implemented and steals the show so far as the hype goes, Elon's ego\arrogance\whatever regarding the rest of the active safety feature set is disappointing. If Tesla expects to lead the industry forward, it's going to have to at least do what Mercedes demonstrated in the above video which I'm pretty sure Tesla's aren't capable of doing currently...

Jeff

Reactions: Matias
I'm with you on this... I am not terribly impressed with Tesla's implementation of other active safety features, outside of autosteer, in relation to the competition. Blind spot detection, and object collision avoidance seem quite a bit (some may say significantly) behind the competition in their current implementation.

While autosteer, IMHO, is extremely well implemented and steals the show so far as the hype goes, Elon's ego\arrogance\whatever regarding the rest of the active safety feature set is disappointing. If Tesla expects to lead the industry forward, it's going to have to at least do what Mercedes demonstrated in the above video which I'm pretty sure Tesla's aren't capable of doing currently...

Jeff

Does the Mercedes have a different sensor suite? Last I read it was almost the same configuration.