Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model 3 owner was able to unlock mine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at your app and see if it says Phone Key Connected. If you can easily see the car, odd are that it was connected.

It's indeed an issue, but there hasn't seemed to be a huge backlash. It's a big problem for people who park on the streets and the car still sees the key.

I do wish that there was some ability to easily mitigate the issue.

You still need to be within a couple of feet from the car to unlock it. I can be connected to my car from 30 ft away with my phone showing "Phone Key: Connected" but someone cannot open the car if the phone is that far away. Before posting I reconfirmed this by leaving my phone on the 3rd floor (still showing as Connected) and tried to open the locked car in the garage to no avail.

"floor (still showing as Connected) and tried to open the locked car in the garage to no avail."

I confirm. I just tried it.

IMG_7580.png

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Phone key may show connected, but the car has a number of radios to determine how far away you are and allow unlock. This is very easy to test.

The most likely situations:

1) door was not fully closed when he exited
2) used key card to unlock car, didnt lock when walking away
3) trunk or frunk slightly ajar

The chances of keycards having the same 'code' is next to impossible.

Yeah so just because the car locked doesn't mean you're out of range. Even after the car locks, if you're close to the car and someone to tries to open the door, it's going to unlock and open. And it could be like other people said, maybe something wasn't completely closed and it never locked in the first place.

Phone key may show connected, but the car has a number of radios to determine how far away you are and allow unlock. This is very easy to test.

The most likely situations:

1) door was not fully closed when he exited
2) used key card to unlock car, didnt lock when walking away
3) trunk or frunk slightly ajar

The chances of keycards having the same 'code' is next to impossible.

I wouldn't rule out a SW glitch as in this case it seems likely that the phone was still connected, but far away. So I think there is a possibility that something went wrong with the proximity detection code.

But, it would still be less likely than those 3 things.

I tend to be a bit OCD about my car locking, and I haven't had any case of my car not being locked except for #2. That used to happen a lot at Valets, but hasn't been happening recently. I think Tesla changed the coding of it, but I haven't had a chance to test it.

A similar thing happened to me when picking my son up from soccer practice in May of 2019. There was a Dad and his son getting out of my car when we walked up. He was surprised to find it wasn't his car as his was 4-6 spots down. We were both needing to go so we didn't do any additional testing as I now wish we had. I have walk away locking and the fields we were walking from were 100+ yards away. I do have pin to drive enabled since I am in IT and understand every layer of security helps. It was definitely strange and concerning.

Irrelevant, the car COMMUNICATE via bluetooth, even if the address is the same, the phone need to reply with some sort of token to grant you access, so it doesn't matter, you simply can't have another phone unless he has the app opened WITH YOUR LOGIN!
This. To stop a phone from working as a key, all you have to do is delete the app, not remove the bluetooth connection. At least on iOS (all I have to test), deleting the app does not remove the bluetooth connections but the phone key stops working. So in the very unlikely event that "the wires got crossed" with the bluetooth connection (which didn't happen) the wrong phone still wouldn't work as a key.

Since it sounds like this other Model 3 owner works in your building ; I would wait by their car for them one day and talk to them, ask them to test someday and see if what happened can be replicated. I am sure as an owner of the identical car would be curious as well and might be someone good to know.

A similar thing happened to me when picking my son up from soccer practice in May of 2019. There was a Dad and his son getting out of my car when we walked up. He was surprised to find it wasn't his car as his was 4-6 spots down. We were both needing to go so we didn't do any additional testing as I now wish we had. I have walk away locking and the fields we were walking from were 100+ yards away. I do have pin to drive enabled since I am in IT and understand every layer of security helps. It was definitely strange and concerning.

My first thought was to dismiss this as I know for a fact, as others said, that Connected status does not mean the door opens. You have to be really close to it.

However, you and OP have similar stories. Two separate owners parked close to each other, and both owners in range to be connected to their cars via phone keys. Can one of the owners walk up to either car and unlock it? It would be an interesting experiment. If it doesn't work then your door probably just didn't close correctly or something.

This happened to me on a couple occasions. It would be nice if the car would beep to let you know it was unable to lock.
I try to listen for the honk, but usually also look back at the car to make sure the mirrors are folded. Gotta agree though, it would be nice if the car would notify you (via the app would be simple I think).