Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase? 11/11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking this through more, other companies seem to have a decisiveness and purpose with their price hikes. Unsure if Tesla's is on purpose to scare people into buying before the next hike, or they just don't have a good plan? Someone may have said: Keep hiking until factories can catch up maybe?

Well, the Ford dealers are all slapping an additional $10k+ 'dealer fee' on the Mach E's. At least Tesla is being up front about it (and honoring preexisting purchase contracts.)

This is not unique to Tesla - We recently bought a used Subaru Forester. Out of curiosity, I looked and there were exactly 0 new Foresters available within 250 miles of Minneapolis. There were fairly few used ones as well. The car we bought was a year old with 12k miles on it and we bought it for just under what it cost new. I don't think we got ripped off, that's just what the market is right now. (coincidentally, when we were test driving it, a story came on the radio about chip shortages affecting new car availability and how that was driving up the price of used cars!)

My co-worker offers my Y LR for 62,000. This is crazy, I paid OTD 56K - 2K from California rebate = 54K. After driving one year, gain 8k? This is insane, I would say. I really want to sell, unfortunately, I don't have alternative car :). If I can have some extra very old ICE car, I would sell my Y, go back to ICE for 1 year, then buy back EV when the market is settle down :)

Reactions: tm1v2
Well, the Ford dealers are all slapping an additional $10k+ 'dealer fee' on the Mach E's. At least Tesla is being up front about it (and honoring preexisting purchase contracts.)

This is not unique to Tesla - We recently bought a used Subaru Forester. Out of curiosity, I looked and there were exactly 0 new Foresters available within 250 miles of Minneapolis. There were fairly few used ones as well. The car we bought was a year old with 12k miles on it and we bought it for just under what it cost new. I don't think we got ripped off, that's just what the market is right now. (coincidentally, when we were test driving it, a story came on the radio about chip shortages affecting new car availability and how that was driving up the price of used cars!)
Ordering a Tesla vs a car from a traditional automaker is advantageous in another facet: you can lock in a price (and have it adjust downward in case of price cuts) months before you take delivery. With a factory order from Ford, GM, or anyone else, there's no way to lock in pricing, and even when you do hash out an agreement with a dealer, they can always reneg and charge you more. I think that is one more reason Tesla has experienced increased demand: lots of people going "well sh!t, if I have to pay sticker price or more, might as well just plop down money on a Tesla, since they only charge sticker and never anymore!"

Ordering a Tesla vs a car from a traditional automaker is advantageous in another facet: you can lock in a price (and have it adjust downward in case of price cuts) months before you take delivery. With a factory order from Ford, GM, or anyone else, there's no way to lock in pricing, and even when you do hash out an agreement with a dealer, they can always reneg and charge you more. I think that is one more reason Tesla has experienced increased demand: lots of people going "well sh!t, if I have to pay sticker price or more, might as well just plop down money on a Tesla, since they only charge sticker and never anymore!"
If you have a signed sales agreement the dealership can’t change the price.
Well since Tesla can change the “sticker” price daily, I guess you technically are just paying the “sticker” price. If thinking like that makes you sleep better at night then more power to you. In reality it’s the same as dealer markups over MSRP during this crazy supply and demand time period.

Well since Tesla can change the “sticker” price daily, I guess you technically are just paying the “sticker” price. If thinking like that makes you sleep better at night then more power to you. In reality it’s the same as dealer markups over MSRP during this crazy supply and demand time period.
Except it’s nothing like that.

I hate the total experience at the dealerships, such as hassling the price, long wait and back and fourth with sales guy and his/her managers. After agreed price, there is one more hassle, which is the finance guy/girl trying to sell you all that extended warranty stuff with add-ons.
3-4 clicks are all you need to order Tesla with your phone that will lock in the price for the next 90 days at least.

Reactions: father_of_6
A signed price agreement didn't help this guy that ordered a Ford Bronco and agreed on MSRP with the dealer (at least not initially. I guess all the press helped him get his deal after much heartache).
As for Tesla, the price markups don't mean jack as long as you submitted an order and locked in a price.

I hate the total experience at the dealerships, such as hassling the price, long wait and back and fourth with sales guy and his/her managers. After agreed price, there is one more hassle, which is the finance guy/girl trying to sell you all that extended warranty stuff with add-ons.
3-4 clicks are all you need to order Tesla with your phone that will lock in the price for the next 90 days at least.
^^^ This. I feel like I can't go back now that I've experienced the easy way!

GM tried to fix the dealer negotiation experience back in the 90s with Saturn. I learned to drive on an early 90s Saturn, it seemed like a decent economy car for its day. Kind of a shame GM didn't keep investing in Saturn. By the time they retired the brand, it was already dead, but it was really GM's fault for not investing in the lineup. They had a strong start and seemed popular for a while, at least where I lived. Then they kept making the cars uglier and uglier while falling further and further behind the competition.

Reactions: sleepydoc and Ogre
"If I have to pay sticker price or more, might as well just plop down money on a Tesla, since they only charge sticker and never anymore!"

My response was in regards to paying sticker price, not the entire sales process. Legacy car manufacturers set an MSRP and let the individual franchised dealerships set the actual sales price. Tesla just sets their "sticker" price, which has been increasing since February.
The legacy car manufacturers have the MSRP on the Monroney sticker, but the dealership then adds the "dealer markup" to the original MSRP.
So having a dealer markup a car $10k or Tesla raise their entire sales price $10k, it's the same thing. It's just Tesla doesn't have a traditional MSRP since they don't have dealerships.

A signed price agreement didn't help this guy that ordered a Ford Bronco and agreed on MSRP with the dealer (at least not initially. I guess all the press helped him get his deal after much heartache).
As for Tesla, the price markups don't mean jack as long as you submitted an order and locked in a price.
That's old news, the guy didn't have a signed sales agreement. He just agreed with the dealership on a price. You can agree on a price all you want to, it's the signed sales agreement that counts.

GM tried to fix the dealer negotiation experience back in the 90s with Saturn. I learned to drive on an early 90s Saturn, it seemed like a decent economy car for its day. Kind of a shame GM didn't keep investing in Saturn. By the time they retired the brand, it was already dead, but it was really GM's fault for not investing in the lineup. They had a strong start and seemed popular for a while, at least where I lived. Then they kept making the cars uglier and uglier while falling further and further behind the competition.
Yes, unfortunately, instead of GM rising to the level of Saturn, Saturn sank to the level of GM and became just another Oldsmobile.

Not really. If you order online, the dealer still gets final say. If you go to a dealer, the add a line somewhere in the contract saying 'subject to dealer markup' or 'plus dealer charges,' etc. Even in the case linked above where the man got a confirmation printout from the Ford dealer the dealer refused to honor it.

As a practical matter, even if you attempt to force the dealer to honor a contract, you have to file suit. in the mean time, the dealer has sold the car so even if you win your case they don't have a car to sell you.

When you order a car from Tesla, the order price is the final price and they honor it. They may raise the price next week, but the price of the car you ordered stays the same. Tesla is raising prices to match supply and demand, but they are doing it in an honest, transparent way. So no, it's not the same at all.