Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase? 11/11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, unfortunately, instead of GM rising to the level of Saturn, Saturn sank to the level of GM and became just another Oldsmobile.

Not really. If you order online, the dealer still gets final say. If you go to a dealer, the add a line somewhere in the contract saying 'subject to dealer markup' or 'plus dealer charges,' etc. Even in the case linked above where the man got a confirmation printout from the Ford dealer the dealer refused to honor it.

As a practical matter, even if you attempt to force the dealer to honor a contract, you have to file suit. in the mean time, the dealer has sold the car so even if you win your case they don't have a car to sell you.

When you order a car from Tesla, the order price is the final price and they honor it. They may raise the price next week, but the price of the car you ordered stays the same. Tesla is raising prices to match supply and demand, but they are doing it in an honest, transparent way. So no, it's not the same at all.
Apparently there’s a lot of people who don’t understand what a sales/purchase agreement is. A dealer cannot legally change a signed sales agreement to change the price once it’s signed by both parties. Same as Tesla can’t either.
All of those Bronco stories were people who reserved a Bronco, but never had a signed sales agreement. Reserving a car is not a sales agreement.

“Tesla is raising prices to match supply and demand, but they are doing it in an honest, transparent way”
As someone else posted in another one of these threads, Tesla is not doing it in a more transparent way. If you don’t make an effort to track Tesla prices, you won’t know how much more you’re paying now then a few months ago. With the Legacy brands, you’ll have a Monroney sticker with the MSRP and the dealer markup right next to it. Hate it, yes, but it doesn’t get more transparent than that.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I wonder if the history of the Model S pricing can tell us anything about what is going on with the Model 3 and Y.

On the depreciation front, the older Model S cars certainly have depreciated but those are also the ones with a noticeably lower range (250 miles or sometimes below). Higher mileage examples can be found for less than $40K now, though not necessarily easily. What were those new (2012 to maybe 2015)?

Apparently there’s a lot of people who don’t understand what a sales/purchase agreement is. A dealer cannot legally change a signed sales agreement to change the price once it’s signed by both parties. Same as Tesla can’t either.
All of those Bronco stories were people who reserved a Bronco, but never had a signed sales agreement. Reserving a car is not a sales agreement.

“Tesla is raising prices to match supply and demand, but they are doing it in an honest, transparent way”
As someone else posted in another one of these threads, Tesla is not doing it in a more transparent way. If you don’t make an effort to track Tesla prices, you won’t know how much more you’re paying now then a few months ago. With the Legacy brands, you’ll have a Monroney sticker with the MSRP and the dealer markup right next to it. Hate it, yes, but it doesn’t get more transparent than that.
*sigh* go back and read my previous post.

Tesla puts the price on their web site. When you order a car that is the price you pay, end of story. If the price goes up afterwards they still honor the price at the time of the order. I'm not sure how they could be much clearer. Are you expecting them to put a graph on their web site tracing the price changes over time? Or maybe Elon musk should keep every potential customer's phone number and call them personally to let them know before. I know every time I've shopped for a car the dealer has always called me before they decided to change their dealer markup. /s

Ford (and others) have a 'sticker' price that historically (and currently) is completely meaningless. The dealer has always adjusted the price upward or downward at their whim. Or they bundle the price with a trade in. Or they bundle the price with a financing 'deal.' Or they add a bunch of 'dealer installed options' that aren't optional. Or they throw additional 'dealer prep charges' or just flat out 'dealer markup.' And if you go to one dealer and get a price, shop around at other dealers, then go back to the first dealer, they change the price on you. I'm not sure what your definition of 'transparent' is, but it sure sounds like it could use some Windex.

As for the online orders with traditional dealers, how do you consider reserving a car online with a posted price and a big 'ol asterisk at the bottom saying "the dealer can charge you whatever they like" transparent?

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2 and WhiteWi
*sigh* go back and read my previous post.

Tesla puts the price on their web site. When you order a car that is the price you pay, end of story. If the price goes up afterwards they still honor the price at the time of the order. I'm not sure how they could be much clearer. Are you expecting them to put a graph on their web site tracing the price changes over time? Or maybe Elon musk should keep every potential customer's phone number and call them personally to let them know before. I know every time I've shopped for a car the dealer has always called me before they decided to change their dealer markup. /s

Ford (and others) have a 'sticker' price that historically (and currently) is completely meaningless. The dealer has always adjusted the price upward or downward at their whim. Or they bundle the price with a trade in. Or they bundle the price with a financing 'deal.' Or they add a bunch of 'dealer installed options' that aren't optional. Or they throw additional 'dealer prep charges' or just flat out 'dealer markup.' And if you go to one dealer and get a price, shop around at other dealers, then go back to the first dealer, they change the price on you. I'm not sure what your definition of 'transparent' is, but it sure sounds like it could use some Windex.

As for the online orders with traditional dealers, how do you consider reserving a car online with a posted price and a big 'ol asterisk at the bottom saying "the dealer can charge you whatever they like" transparent?
In no way am I saying the legacy way of buying cars is better than Tesla. What I am saying is Tesla is not the leader in transparency; i.e. the most recent USB fiasco.
As far as legacy car pricing, the truth is the MSRP applies to lots of items, not just cars. You could look for a tv or refrigerator and it costs more from the manufacturer then from a distributor. Pre-pandemic you could treat any car deal like a Tesla deal and walk in to a dealership and say I'll pay MSRP and be done with it. No dealership would ever say no in the past. The reality is society as a whole likes negotiating when they can.

Again, I'm not saying Tesla's way of buying cars is worse then the traditional way. It's just hard to say Tesla is a transparent company.

• Disagree
Pre-pandemic you could treat any car deal like a Tesla deal and walk in to a dealership and say I'll pay MSRP and be done with it. No dealership would ever say no in the past. The reality is society as a whole likes negotiating when they can.
No.

YOU like negotiating. Some other people do too.

Lots of us abhor it and hate this whole monkey dance. Saturn got rid of that mess a long time ago and that was one of the reasons people liked the brand so much (until GM turned it into a mess). This is also why AAA and Costco buying programs are hugely popular. I know people who have joined Costco just so they could buy a car.

No.

Lots of us abhor it and hate this whole monkey dance. Saturn got rid of that mess a long time ago and that was one of the reasons people liked the brand so much (until GM turned it into a mess). This is also why AAA and Costco buying programs are hugely popular. I know people who have joined Costco just so they could buy a car.
Even if you take negotiation out, the amount of time you spend with traditional dealers is ridiculous as well. Case in point ...

Wife wanted a new SUV years back, did research online, reached out to several dealers for best and final price. Arranged financing through credit union, proceeded to dealer. Few highlights ...

1. Insisted on running credit, although we had financing. Had to wait.
2. Finance was backed up, so had to wait to sign sales contract.
3. There was a litany of a dozen things they tried to sell us in finance from extended warranty to tire and wheel protection, etc.

When I bought my Model 3, just showed up for the appointment, signed over credit union check and did a really minimal bit of paperwork.

I don't mind haggling, but most people I know hate it. I think the Tesla model of selling will become increasingly popular.
I think with the transition to the current reality of pretty much everyone charging MSRP, a lot of people went "well hell, if I'm gonna pay sticker, might as well buy a Tesla then!". I bet there were a non-insignificant number of people that just couldn't stomache buying a car for MSRP, but when MSRP became the rule versus the exception, people started taking a hard look at Teslas.

Reactions: leaftoy
Even if you take negotiation out, the amount of time you spend with traditional dealers is ridiculous as well. Case in point ...

Wife wanted a new SUV years back, did research online, reached out to several dealers for best and final price. Arranged financing through credit union, proceeded to dealer. Few highlights ...

1. Insisted on running credit, although we had financing. Had to wait.
2. Finance was backed up, so had to wait to sign sales contract.
3. There was a litany of a dozen things they tried to sell us in finance from extended warranty to tire and wheel protection, etc.

When I bought my Model 3, just showed up for the appointment, signed over credit union check and did a really minimal bit of paperwork.
Yeah.

“Finance“ is dealership talk for the guy who extracts money from you *after* the car is sold. So extended warrantee, crappy loan, paint protection, etc etc. Has little to do with you actually paying for the car and everything to do with taking advantage of people who are exhausted from the process but feel committed to finish the deal.

As WhiteWi pointed out, haggling over car prices is like playing a game which you can’t win. The goal is to minimize your losses.

• Love
Reactions: zpaul and WhiteWi
No.

Again, you ignored the part where I said you don't have to negotiate at any car dealership. You can walk in and say I'll pay MSRP and be done with it. Similar to Tesla.
People don't like paying full price for things, that's just human nature. Why do you think stores set their prices for $9.99, or $2.99, mentally people are more apt to purchase something if they feel it's not $10 or $3. The reason Saturn's method didn't catch on wasn't just due to their crappy cars, the majority of people just didn't want to pay a set price. If they did, the sales method would have caught on with other brands.
Same reason why there's sales and black Friday madness. The majority of the world still bargains and negotiates whenever possible. Just look at the for sale thread here.

You don't have to negotiate a new car at a traditional car dealership, it's not mandatory. People do it because they want to. Hypothetically, if Tesla started listing prices that were negotiable, do you think the majority of people would pay full price, or try negotiating? Everything could be done online same as now, you just had the choice of offering a lower price to see if it would be accepted.

I enjoy the Tesla buying experience and enjoy my Model S. But I'm also realistic and not holding Tesla to be this amazing company that does everything in their customers best interest.

Yeah.

“Finance“ is dealership talk for the guy who extracts money from you *after* the car is sold. So extended warrantee, crappy loan, paint protection, etc etc. Has little to do with you actually paying for the car and everything to do with taking advantage of people who are exhausted from the process but feel committed to finish the deal.

As WhiteWi pointed out, haggling over car prices is like playing a game which you can’t win. The goal is to minimize your losses.
Tesla does the same thing, just online. Want FSD, want Tesla insurance, want their high 2.49% interest rate. Paying Tesla's price is similar to paying MSRP with a legacy car maker. Same thing, just Tesla does it in a slicker way.

• Funny
Again, you ignored the part where I said you don't have to negotiate at any car dealership. You can walk in and say I'll pay MSRP and be done with it. Similar to Tesla.
Nope.

My first car purchase was a 3 hour nightmare after I went to a dealership ready to buy a specific vehicle for the price they’d advertised in the paper.

Everything from when you walk in the door of a car dealership until you leave is a giant pile of deception designed to maximize how much cash they can extract from you. Even if you pay MSRP, you still have to wrestle with a million other details.

Tesla does the same thing, just online. Want FSD, want Tesla insurance, want their high 2.49% interest rate. Paying Tesla's price is similar to paying MSRP with a legacy car maker. Same thing, just Tesla does it in a slicker way.
The only way buying a car from a dealership is remotely similar to buying a Tesla is if you go through a service like Costco or AAA where they’ve pre-negotiated the price and they drop the car off at your house.