Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase? 11/11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
99.99% cars on the roads today have oversized mirrors including all Tesla cars. You cannot/should not try to see the entire car and surrounding with the mirrors which is simply not possible or designed for it. Rear visibility is no issue since the back up camera is mandatory for 2018 and newer cars in the U.S.
Again, proper adjustment of the side mirrors and situational awareness is key even with all the gadgets.
There’s no need to be defensive about the Model Y. I love my MYLR… BUT … the rear visibility (and mirrors) of the Model Y are objectively bad compared to almost ANY car on the market. Certainly every car I have ever driven over 20+ years. There are so many low-hanging fruit efforts that Tesla COULD have done to help this. (Slightly bigger side mirrors, a middle mirror that you can see anything from after dusk, blind spot warning lights in the mirrors, the list goes on… small things that virtually every economy car has these days)

Is the rear visibility of the MY sufficient? Yes you can get used to it… But it could be SO much better with some easy fixes.

(Oh, and giving the Model Y credit for a rear backup camera is not saying much since it is a legal requirement. 😂)

There’s no need to be defensive about the Model Y. I love my MYLR… BUT … the rear visibility (and mirrors) of the Model Y are objectively bad compared to almost ANY car on the market. Certainly every car I have ever driven over 20+ years. There are so many low-hanging fruit efforts that Tesla COULD have done to help this. (Slightly bigger side mirrors, a middle mirror that you can see anything from after dusk, blind spot warning lights in the mirrors, the list goes on… small things that virtually every economy car has these days)

Is the rear visibility of the MY sufficient? Yes you can get used to it… But it could be SO much better with some easy fixes.

(Oh, and giving the Model Y credit for a rear backup camera is not saying much since it is a legal requirement. 😂)
Can you identify a single blind spot on the MY in terms of rearward visibility? if not, your point is not valid.

Bigger mirrors = less efficiency

Can you identify a single blind spot on the MY in terms of rearward visibility? if not, your point is not valid.
I wrote it was “sufficient”. But I hold Tesla to a higher standard than doing the bare minimum.

What you are doing Is the equivalent of defending a hypothetical slow accelerating Tesla as “but it moves forward, what else do you need?”. 😀 Relax. It is OK that the Model Y is not perfect.

almost $100k Rav4 will depreciate about $60k first year, which can buy a MYLR. LOL
Seems like that has to be some kind of flub at the dealership, likely was meant to be $4,000 and someone goofed it and didn’t notice. That would make it $60,000 which is still ridiculous. You can get a Model Y Performance for about that… less if the incentives pass.

Seems like that has to be some kind of flub at the dealership, likely was meant to be $4,000 and someone goofed it and didn’t notice. That would make it $60,000 which is still ridiculous. You can get a Model Y Performance for about that… less if the incentives pass.
1) I tried to buy a RAV4 Prime for about 4 weeks (even talking to out of state dealers) and was on various RAV4 forums. I argued many of these folks should go full EV but there's a good percentage of buyers who still want gas because they hiking or biking off the beaten path. And in cold places like Canada, I'm not sure I'd want to drive a Tesla in -20C weather to go skiing.
2) These incentives are like Santa. Imaginary.

The Y's rear window is also useless in heavy rains in Florida. The EV6 gets ripped for not having rear wipers but the Y doesn't have them either. The design might have been fine for a sedan but not sure it makes sense for an SUV. The Y was designed for Californians in mind. I can't imagine driving the Y in snowy Canada.

The sloped rear hatch (which is the cause of the poor visibility) also loses usable space to me. A traditional flatter top/back would have been more practical.

1) I tried to buy a RAV4 Prime for about 4 weeks (even talking to out of state dealers) and was on various RAV4 forums. I argued many of these folks should go full EV but there's a good percentage of buyers who still want gas because they hiking or biking off the beaten path. And in cold places like Canada, I'm not sure I'd want to drive a Tesla in -20C weather to go skiing.
2) These incentives are like Santa. Imaginary.
I’ve done the off-grid road trip thing and it is a little more challenging in an EV right now.

But… what a crappy time to buy an ICE vehicle. It’s not a good time to buy anything, but paying a big premium for ICE is just silly when that premium and half of the MSRP will be gone in 3-4 years.

I’ve done the off-grid road trip thing and it is a little more challenging in an EV right now.

But… what a crappy time to buy an ICE vehicle. It’s not a good time to buy anything, but paying a big premium for ICE is just silly when that premium and half of the MSRP will be gone in 3-4 years.
The RAV4 Prime is an interesting piece of engineering that will last a while IMO.

300hp. FWD with gas. RWD in EV mode. And AWD with both.

Folks are driving months and thousands of miles on EV mode (approx 42 miles) without filling up gas - in the city then go "outbacking"

My problem with current EVs is they all use flammable lithium electrolytes (LFP less so). Lawsuits, recalls, lawsuits, recalls will happen. Bolt and Kona recalls are not one offs. Heck, even laptop batteries get recalled:

Reactions: Ogre
It sounds like the retroactive start may be eliminated anyway, but if they make it retroactive to May 24 2021 like some of the proposals I saw, will that also include the MSRP limit, or would the balance of this year apply to all EVs?

The Y's rear window is also useless in heavy rains in Florida. The EV6 gets ripped for not having rear wipers but the Y doesn't have them either. The design might have been fine for a sedan but not sure it makes sense for an SUV. The Y was designed for Californians in mind. I can't imagine driving the Y in snowy Canada.

The sloped rear hatch (which is the cause of the poor visibility) also loses usable space to me. A traditional flatter top/back would have been more practical.
1. All cars have poor visibility during heavy rain.
2. Vertical rear window requires wipers due to the vortex forming preventing air to flow over the rear window smoothly pushing water droplets off the window. It depends on the angle of the rear window.
3. Tesla is making cars for everyone and every region, not just for California.
4. As long as there’s electricity to charge, Tesla cars will have no issues that are significantly different from the ICE cars and their issues.
5. I’m not defending Tesla or saying they are perfect. This is how Tesla cars were designed and there is no poor visibility issue for everyday use. It’s all about the user/drivers and their still level.

Reactions: WhiteWi
The RAV4 Prime is an interesting piece of engineering that will last a while IMO.

300hp. FWD with gas. RWD in EV mode. And AWD with both.

Folks are driving months and thousands of miles on EV mode (approx 42 miles) without filling up gas - in the city then go "outbacking"

My problem with current EVs is they all use flammable lithium electrolytes (LFP less so). Lawsuits, recalls, lawsuits, recalls will happen. Bolt and Kona recalls are not one offs. Heck, even laptop batteries get recalled:

Unless Toyota changed its hybrid system ( ICE FWD and motor RWD setup), it has serious limitation. The rear motor work only up to certain speed which was very low ( please correct me if I’m wrong) and heavy and complicated system makes maintenance nightmare and will cost higher to repair once out of warranty.
As Mr. Sandy Munro said, hybrid system can do many things, but it is master of none.

I would end up f

Visibility out the rear window is not great… but why do you care? The few situations where the center rear view mirror might be useful are better served by the reversing camera. At speed on the highway you should be using your side mirrors almost exclusively. Much of the time I don’t even bother to adjust the center mirror after my wife drives. Lots of vehicles don’t even have visibility out the rear view mirror at all.

Reactions: nate704 and WhiteWi
Unless Toyota changed its hybrid system ( ICE FWD and motor RWD setup), it has serious limitation. The rear motor work only up to certain speed which was very low ( please correct me if I’m wrong) and heavy and complicated system makes maintenance nightmare and will cost higher to repair once out of warranty.
As Mr. Sandy Munro said, hybrid system can do many things, but it is master of none.
I have a Prius Prime (wanted to get a Rav4 Prime, too, but the Model Y was cheaper once you considered dealer markup). It can go up to 80mph in EV mode, over 80 it will kick on the engine. 25mi of range per charge is realistic, but I've gotten 37mi per charge when driving very nicely in the summer. If the Rav4 Prime follows suit, its 42mi are PLENTY for most peoples daily drives. I get 2500mi/tank in my Prius, That'd likely be 3500 in the Rav4.

Keep in mind Toyota has been building hybrids for a very long time. Not only that, but they really dont break, they're boring cars. I had a Prius before the Prime and its low maintenance and lack of any issues is why I bought a Prime. Oil changes every 10k mi. Air filters at ~30k, then a bunch of fluids at 120k mi. 10yrs of ownership with 1 oil change a year and 3 air filter changes. Maintenance on cars isnt what it used to be.

I have a Prius Prime (wanted to get a Rav4 Prime, too, but the Model Y was cheaper once you considered dealer markup). It can go up to 80mph in EV mode, over 80 it will kick on the engine. 25mi of range per charge is realistic, but I've gotten 37mi per charge when driving very nicely in the summer. If the Rav4 Prime follows suit, its 42mi are PLENTY for most peoples daily drives. I get 2500mi/tank in my Prius, That'd likely be 3500 in the Rav4.

Keep in mind Toyota has been building hybrids for a very long time. Not only that, but they really dont break, they're boring cars. I had a Prius before the Prime and its low maintenance and lack of any issues is why I bought a Prime. Oil changes every 10k mi. Air filters at ~30k, then a bunch of fluids at 120k mi. 10yrs of ownership with 1 oil change a year and 3 air filter changes. Maintenance on cars isnt what it used to be.
Traded in my Gen 3 Prius still going strong at 250k miles. Wonder if my Model Y will last that long.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Traded in my Gen 3 Prius still going strong at 250k miles. Wonder if my Model Y will last that long.
Same! (My Gen3 only had 120k miles though). I got it because a friend of mine had a Gen2 with 300k on it. The original plan was to get a "fun" car since I had a Gen3 and a Prime, but the Prime's trunk isnt nearly as useful as the Gen3's so I opted for a larger car. Stipulation was PHEV or EV, and able to take long trips with ease. That basically narrowed it down to the MY and the Rav4 Prime. Dealers played too many games with Rav4 pricing. Tesla was straight forward.

I'll make my decision about keeping the Model Y at 3.5yrs or 45k miles... by then I should know what to expect when its out of warranty.

Reactions: rjpjnk

My Gen 3 was totaled at 70K miles, got more from insurance than I paid for it 2 years earlier and putting 35K miles of my own deriving.

Bought a new 2018 Gen 4 and selling it to carvana next month for 5.5K more than I paid for it 3 years and 24.5K miles later :). Hope my MY gets here soon.