Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what other car company offers a compact electric SUV with 300+ miles of range and 0-60 better than a Porsche ? anyone?
Is this a rebuttal to poor QA and customer service?

Remember when EV forums used to poke holes in the sensationalized range narrative when it was being pushed by legacy manufacturing? I appreciate using that narrative against them now on their nascent offerings, but it didn’t stop me from getting a sub-250 mile Tesla that went 5.5 0-60, and it wouldn’t stop me from getting an E-Tron, I-Pace, etc.

This isn’t 2015. There are now EV options that function well enough that Tesla won’t continue to dominate the growing EV market if customer service doesn’t improve to offset the inferior fit and finish. People spending 60k on a personal car aren’t going to leave legacy manufacturers for a brand gaining a rep for inferior QA, and even some Tesla owners will have wandering eyes. This also isn’t 2040 when car ownership is subscription based and we’re all just renting robo taxis

The new approach to car production that emphasizes continuous development and improvement is the future, even if it leads to updating cars after ownership. This isn’t that. This is cost savings by neglecting QA and passing that on to the buyer. In other words corporate greed, although I hope the greed results in allowing for investing in more QA and service.

The sad thing with all of this is that the next person was called an hour later and they probably accepted the car as is because they are not on these forums.

I would love to think we are making a difference, but I also do not think it will ever get back to Elon or even Telsa that this car was rejected because of paint.

With all that said, enough with the Tesla excuses already. Car paint should be one of the first wins and EASIEST things to get right on the Y, especially when you have 3 other models that are ok. After that, gaps and what not can be fixed easily at the service center before delivery. To still have cars come out looking like it was painted with a rattle can AND delivered to a customer, is not OK.

OP, good on you for rejecting the car and it's your money so spend it how you want. Anyone else on here that is OK with taking it, good as well on you for being OK with a few minor things wrong.

I'm a bit surprised everyone is so accepting of the this level of build quality. Please don't tell me that this is what I should expect from Tesla or that this is the best they can do because clearly, they built my model 3 to a much higher standard than they did this car.
The last picture in the series of picture is the one I was most concerned about.

You’re looking at the very first version of that vehicle. I would advise any buyer that if you’re going to buy the first version of a new model that you should expect some imperfections. Even Big and Auto struggles with that… But they only improve their vehicles every 3+ years. At least you’re getting more rapid improvement with Tesla.

I’m sure someone else will be very satisfied with that vehicle… Last I checked there are still a few people on the waiting list!

I got my Y a few weeks ago and tried to use the windshield washer for the first time yesterday and no water sprayed onto the windshield when I pressed the button. I thought, here we go again, Tesla forgot to add water to the windshield washer reservoir. I buy some windshield washer fluid, open the cap under the frunk and start filling the reservoir. After about half a gallon I notice a blue liquid leaking from under the car. I'm thinking WTH(F)...I'm guessing Tesla forgot to install the windshield washer reservoir or didn't connect it properly. This is too much, I love the car and driving experience but wonder if they forgot to install some safety parts/devices too. Anyway, I schedule a maintenance appointment to get it fixed and noticed the service center ordered an entire windshield washing system for my car. I'm not sure if Tesla's Quality Control just sucks or if they Tesla just doesn't care anymore. GRRRR!

I just picked up my Model Y yesterday. VIN 32k. The quality was excellent - I've requested three adjustments but they are all very minor and even without the adjustments I'd be extremely happy. The panel gaps are excellent and consistent throughout.

These pictures of the windshield, top glass, and hatch not being exactly in line are frankly ridiculous. They are slightly different dimensions for their purpose, the hatch frame is slightly narrower BECAUSE IT OPENS so the needs are different. What will happen when you get your first rock chip or ding on the perfectly gapped car you wasted hours of your life trying to find?

I just picked up my Model Y yesterday. VIN 32k. The quality was excellent - I've requested three adjustments but they are all very minor and even without the adjustments I'd be extremely happy. The panel gaps are excellent and consistent throughout.

These pictures of the windshield, top glass, and hatch not being exactly in line are frankly ridiculous. They are slightly different dimensions for their purpose, the hatch frame is slightly narrower BECAUSE IT OPENS so the needs are different. What will happen when you get your first rock chip or ding on the perfectly gapped car you wasted hours of your life trying to find?

Let me enjoy a few photos of this beautiful car please.

To those who said that car should be accepted, I urge you to relook at the pics in detail - click on it and see it blown-up. (At first I didn’t see any big deal stuff until I saw it blown up - and wow - how did I missed that moment will happen)

To me, it’s glaringly clear on gaps on window, where leak will 100% occur, scratches, primer visible, missing screws, noticible gaps, etc. Really poor quality stuff for any car company, let alone Tesla. By accepting blindly on these kinds of mistakes, they will just go pumping out these quality issue and not bother to address it. I’m surprised this passed the final QA test before giving the green light for delivery.

Rejecting was right thing to do. Not saying expect perfection or even close to one but this one is just clearly bad and remotely close to acceptable, let alone perfection.

And believe me, this is coming from someone who is very forgivable and understanding to Tesla’s growth pains over the years. How so? I am truly one of the very early adopters as I have 2013 Model S and seen ups and down with my relationship with Tesla. And yes, the car still runs beautifully with over 120k miles!

Last edited:
First let me say that this forum has been invaluable in preparing for my delivery by arming me with a checklist to evaluate my car.
Today was my delivery day and my wife and I were super excited to bring home our second tesla. We currently have a model 3 we picked up in 2018. We love the M3 and while we did have one paint issue on delivery, the rest of the car was flawless.
Today when we went to pick up our Y, we found so many issues, most of which were minor but a few were significant enough for me to reject the car.
Please see the pictures attached. The Vin was 23xxx and built June 28th. It was blue with a white interior and no other options.
I took delivery in Fremont at the factory and there were about 6 other model y for delivery. When I looked at the other cars, they also had some egregious build with some vins in the 33xxx range.

View attachment 567408 View attachment 567409 View attachment 567410 View attachment 567411 View attachment 567412 View attachment 567413 View attachment 567414 View attachment 567415 View attachment 567416 View attachment 567417

You have to pay first to take the delivery, right? I guess they can’t take your payment if you keep rejecting the delivery?

@shpatel

To be honest, 9/10 pics you posted are within spec. I did not see anything that would have prevented me from taking delivery.

I rejected the first Model Y delivery and was close to rejecting the second one. However, I decided to accept it because the technology and the experience outweighed the minor defects and panel gaps.

I recently brought my Model Y to the Fremont Delivery Hub where they will be doing the service repairs. Thankfully, it will be ready within a few days.

You can see my service issues here:

Model Y Performance Service Photos 6/27/20

yours is not as bad as OP, some of them are cosmetics

So at this point I think we can all agree everyone has their own opinion, correct?

After all this discussion I want one thing: OP post detailed pic's of the car you accept please, to include the rear tail lights, rear seat, windshield, trim, etc...

If you never accept one let us know that too please - I think it's only fair at this point. :)

First let me say that this forum has been invaluable in preparing for my delivery by arming me with a checklist to evaluate my car.
Today was my delivery day and my wife and I were super excited to bring home our second tesla. We currently have a model 3 we picked up in 2018. We love the M3 and while we did have one paint issue on delivery, the rest of the car was flawless.
Today when we went to pick up our Y, we found so many issues, most of which were minor but a few were significant enough for me to reject the car.
Please see the pictures attached. The Vin was 23xxx and built June 28th. It was blue with a white interior and no other options.
I took delivery in Fremont at the factory and there were about 6 other model y for delivery. When I looked at the other cars, they also had some egregious build with some vins in the 33xxx range.

As a fellow M3 & YP owner, I'd say you did THE RIGHT THING pal. Don't be deterred! I fully disagree with the all-forgiving Tesla Cult-boys defending poor manufacturing quality. The more product rejections Tesla receives over manufacturing errors the better! It will force them to improve their product line in the long run.

Tesla could use a good kick in the pants right now because when the competition really heats up next year, the lack of QC will come back to haunt them for sure... What will you do then Elon? ... go smoke another doobie? lol... If not corrected NOW, other EV makers will FLAUNT these errors in their advertising and then it will be TOO LATE, it has the potential to ruin the company in the near future. Please, I pray they don't allow this to happen. Maybe ELON should stop salivating over Tesla's S&P 500 inclusion right now and concentrate more on improving his product's quality control. Customer rejection & feedback, such as yours is a GOOD thing for manufacturers to see, not a bad thing. You did good man...

My first Y was HORRENDOUS to say the least. Not one of the 5 door panels lined up at all! It looked as if it was drunkenly bolted together by my eight year old niece in dark sunglasses! :cool: lol... The tail lights were even worse than yours, there was even a small outward kink in the front DS fender. It too was rejected within 6 seconds of inspection. Personally I believe the car was rushed to market before they could improve these fitment faults. Some panels were obviously CAD/CAM'd incorrectly to allow for manufacturing variances. These body panels will never line up smoothly as they are either too narrow where they match-up, or must be forced into place, thus producing outward kinks to develop as the car flexes while driven. The second replacement car was much better but still not as good as Tesla's should be.

In fact I'd say the overall assembly alignment on my first Y was FAR worse than this 1980 Communist built YUGO , no lie! (See picture for proof! ... the panels are PERFECTLY aligned! lololol)

1980 Yugo.jpg

Last edited:
Lot of fanbois in this thread. OP, that car looks like trash.

The windshield seal alone would be a dealbreaker for me. Good on you for rejecting that turd.

You hit the nail on the head - lots of fanboys too excited to just have a Tesla and willing to take *sugar* quality. We have two MX’s and there have been a few quality/fitment issues along the way. If this were any other brand most would disparage the fit & finish.

My brother recently took delivery of his MY and very similar issues to what SHPATEL has posted on here. Kudos to you for rejecting delivery.

Tesla is in a desperate mode trying to throw crappy quality out the door just to hit delivery numbers and keep stock prices artificially inflated.

Overall we’re very happy with our MX’s, just expect a higher standard of quality and customer service from Tesla. Being new/startup is no excuse for lackluster and half assed finish.

Funny thing is that Tesla will need to fix those issues eventually. So why not to do that sooner ?
Every delivered car of such quality is hitting the reputation, while it could be promoting it.
OK, you cannot get your factory processes together - set up SCs to do batch refinement on all incoming cars, still much more efficient and no frustration on the customer side.

Reactions: BlindPass
With Elon’s pressure to hit delivery goals, I’m wondering if some engineer or bean counter figured they could save time and money on painting, with the result being what we see: thin paint!!!!

maybe Tesla cut back on doing an additional coat of paint so it speeds up production numbers and actually saves them money too?

If the paint shop was a bottleneck in the production, I could see someone suggesting they do less coats of paint to speed more units through, all so Elon can meet his delivery goals.

that’s one of my personal theories. Hahaha

Reactions: BlindPass