Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a soon-to-be-owner I am trying to gauge the line between reject vs. fix-later for when I go pickup mine. My question for all these people on this discussion who took their cars with defects similar to what the OP reported -- how many of you reported these to Tesla AND successfully got them resolved?

I would be tolerant of some misalignment and such but I want to know is Tesla generally good at fixing them on the second round via the service center? Or is it an endless back-and-forth?

Made in USA! :)
Ugh, I hate the thought of Tesla going the way of Detroit. GM was once a leading company too. Corporate greed chasing quarterly metrics for shareholders can be a derailIng force.

They’re applying Robo taxis level fit and finish on personal vehicles. Not yet, Elon, not yet.

The brilliance of this company is what makes all these issues even more unacceptable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Levelheadsteve
First let me say that this forum has been invaluable in preparing for my delivery by arming me with a checklist to evaluate my car.
Today was my delivery day and my wife and I were super excited to bring home our second tesla. We currently have a model 3 we picked up in 2018. We love the M3 and while we did have one paint issue on delivery, the rest of the car was flawless.
Today when we went to pick up our Y, we found so many issues, most of which were minor but a few were significant enough for me to reject the car.
Please see the pictures attached. The Vin was 23xxx and built June 28th. It was blue with a white interior and no other options.
I took delivery in Fremont at the factory and there were about 6 other model y for delivery. When I looked at the other cars, they also had some egregious build with some vins in the 33xxx range.

View attachment 567408 View attachment 567409 View attachment 567410 View attachment 567411 View attachment 567412 View attachment 567413 View attachment 567414 View attachment 567415 View attachment 567416 View attachment 567417
Does anyone have a checklist to share so none of us miss what needs to be looked at upon delivery? I’d sure like detailed list. Thx

I own 2 model X’s and am a shareholder. Respectfully, way too many f*in fanboys.

Yes, we’re all very excited they smashed delivery numbers but collectively we need to hold Tesla to the highest standards.

We’ve been accepting this for way too long and should not have to degrade our aesthetic standards just because the vehicles have the world’s best tech.

I looked at those photos
And to me the "faults" were a combination of the way the light hits the paint - some shadows and some reflectance

I'm not an expert photographer but I bet I could approach a concours Rolls Royce and take similar pictures

Basically I call bullshit

have you seen some of the pics of the white MYs with mismatched doors, or the ones with splotchy paint? Do you think those are acceptable? Just asking to get a gauge on what is acceptable to you.

thanks

I looked at those photos
And to me the "faults" were a combination of the way the light hits the paint - some shadows and some reflectance

I'm not an expert photographer but I bet I could approach a concours Rolls Royce and take similar pictures

Basically I call bullshit

why don’t you try your car. These pics look awful, I wouldn’t accept a $16k Hyundai with these issues, forget a $60K car.

I'm a bit surprised everyone is so accepting of the this level of build quality. Please don't tell me that this is what I should expect from Tesla or that this is the best they can do because clearly, they built my model 3 to a much higher standard than they did this car.
The last picture in the series of picture is the one I was most concerned about. You'll that there is a lighter shade of paint there which actually looks to be where they didn't equally apply the paint thus allowing you to see the e-coat. The fix on the would be a repaint of the panel and blending of the surrounding panels which is nearly a quarter of the car. So yeah, I'm not willing to accept this car when it has to be this extensively resprayed.
Agree with you. No way you can pay 60+ with those imperfections. If you compare to other cars at the same price or much cheaper none of them have such issues

Reactions: nuP90D and Reeler
I get that delivery numbers are of prime importance for a new company. I get that there will always be a few minor issues with many new cars and not to expect perfection. As a stockholder, I worry that if this many imperfections persist fresh out of the factory sooner or later Tesla brand will be impacted and so will my investment. Investment in owning a model S, stock, and investment in the reasons I support The Brand. I support the brand because not everyone can afford a new car, and those who can, can lead the way out of ICE/oil destruction of our environment.

However, at some point as competition heats up things like the complaints I'm constantly hearing will de-value the brand. I get how important Q2 and upcoming Q3 are for the viability of the company. If these were $15,000 cars such disappointing QC wouldn't matter as much. They're not $15,000 cars and many of us purchasers are betting the farm on the company's success. At this rate of QC failures it will not be but a couple of years before people shy away from Tesla when so many other fully electric cars come on line. I don't want that. I want the leader or pioneer to stay on top of the game. QC will dictate how future buyers of electric cars look at Tesla, and make the choice where to spend the family money.

I swore off American brands in the 1970s when built in obsolescence was the norm. GM and others took decades to recover from the crap they sold. Japanese car builders benefited greatly from the poor quality of the American brands. This will happen to Tesla too if QC isn't elevated to the utmost importance. The genius of these Teslas will have been wasted if QC isn't actually QC at all. If I were a Tesla engineer I'd be truly upset that all my hard work went for nothing due to something as simple as poor workmanship, and poor customer service (especially when the car is no longer under warranty).

Personally, I'm very happy with my 2016 MS, and will buy another Tesla sometime, but before I take delivery I will be taking a close look at the car before signing off on it. Tesla's non-existent customer service matters, especially with such poor QC. The most important things to me are the ones I can see since I'm not qualified to tear down a new car and make sure what I can't see is 'within specs'. For me, no leaks, panel joinery, and durable paint are high on the list. I don't care that mis-alignment of panels and wind noise are 'within specs'. My answer is 'tighten up your 'specs' before you go the way of the Chevy Vega!

I picked up my White/White non-perf Model Y on 7.18.20, in the early evening. I examined and photographed the white car, in Manhasset, NY, as closely as I could. It was in a relatively crowded parking lot between two cars.

The sales person was pleasant and helpful, and we found some damaged interior trim, a glob of dust under paint in the door frame and the usual rear seat height mismatch and we documented all. I drove home and went to bed.

The next morning I noted a 1.5" ding in the Right front door near the bottom, and emailed them and they promised to add it to the documentation. I found the ding in my photographs taken at the dealer, even though I did not see it in the dazzling sun that day. All of this is on my electronic service request. Service is scheduled for the third week in August, at my closest service center, some 30 miles away.

Last night, I looked at my Left sun visor for the first time, and the visible side has a subtle black thumb print I missed. When I flipped it over to the illuminated side, four more smudgey prints are visible. I added this to the punch list.

The vehicle rides superbly, and turns heads everywhere, but the prep and quality control are disheartening. It will, no doubt require body work on the door.

The door ding, had I seen it, would have resulted in my rejection of the car. It is unquestionably an astonishing car, but their dealer prep is apparently nonexistent.

As long as the door ding din't break paint its a super easy repair with dent-less paint repair. This happens to all manufacturers during the delivery process, they usually have a paintless dent repair person on standby. No reason to reject if their is no actual damage to the paint. Sure the Service Center should have caught it before, but we all know their QC needs improvement.

I picked up my White/White non-perf Model Y on 7.18.20, in the early evening. I examined and photographed the white car, in Manhasset, NY, as closely as I could. It was in a relatively crowded parking lot between two cars.

The sales person was pleasant and helpful, and we found some damaged interior trim, a glob of dust under paint in the door frame and the usual rear seat height mismatch and we documented all. I drove home and went to bed.

The next morning I noted a 1.5" ding in the Right front door near the bottom, and emailed them and they promised to add it to the documentation. I found the ding in my photographs taken at the dealer, even though I did not see it in the dazzling sun that day. All of this is on my electronic service request. Service is scheduled for the third week in August, at my closest service center, some 30 miles away.

Last night, I looked at my Left sun visor for the first time, and the visible side has a subtle black thumb print I missed. When I flipped it over to the illuminated side, four more smudgey prints are visible. I added this to the punch list.

The vehicle rides superbly, and turns heads everywhere, but the prep and quality control are disheartening. It will, no doubt require body work on the door.

The door ding, had I seen it, would have resulted in my rejection of the car. It is unquestionably an astonishing car, but their dealer prep is apparently nonexistent.

I have the same door dent. My car has been in since the 14th. I know that it came back from the body shop to the service center, they rejected it and sent it back.

Reactions: ArtK
Tesla not investing in getting immaculate fit and finish like the German’s, or really any legacy brand, based on last century’s relationship with cars makes some sense.
Or Rube Golberg-ish over-engineering in German cars, but at the same time putting plastic critical parts that will fail and result in profits to their dealers a few years later. (e.g., the critical $.50 plastic gear that costs thousands to actually replace.)

Reactions: NY_Rob
The most hilarious part is you get a new owner posting how happy he is with the car... then goes on to list the dozen items he has to have repaired at the SC. Really? If my $60K new car had a dozen items needing to be repaired (including some paint issues) I would not be happy with the car!

Some people are just happy to get the car.. like me. If they live less than 30 miles from the SC. Taking the UBer voucher is not a problem for them. If some people are 30+ miles away from the SC, then it's hard to accept the car. Most of the time SC would not fix all 12 issues, because they dont know to fix it, or don't have the parts... and it could go on for months.

My next Tesla, I will reject it if it has more than 3 issues. Hopefully, it will get Tesla to perform a better quality control.

Reactions: Reeler