Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla design FIX, Rear view camera and rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that wants a quick fix for this, a ceramic coating (Avalon king, or cheap amazon alternatives) works fantastic if applied correctly (not difficult to do), and I have done it on all my cars. It is a must if you live in a an area where it rains 24/7. I personally dislike the look of the camera covers or the mold, but good to see alternatives!

For anyone that wants a quick fix for this, a ceramic coating (Avalon king, or cheap amazon alternatives) works fantastic if applied correctly (not difficult to do), and I have done it on all my cars. It is a must if you live in a an area where it rains 24/7. I personally dislike the look of the camera covers or the mold, but good to see alternatives!
for me the ceramic coating didn't work but again, that won't be the first time I use coating the wrong way. as far as the look goes, you really can't notice it that much but I get your point.

Raining pretty hard in LA today so was able to test out a simple drip guard. It worked pretty well. Rain rolled off of the drip edge instead of onto the camera.

I attached the STL file so yo can print one if you'd like to try. Use some double sided tape and attach like in my photo. It barely obstructs the camera view. In the photo below of the screen, this was taken after an hour drive in heavy rain. Earlier in the day, I took our X out and within a minute it had multiple water spots making the camera unusable for the rest of the trip.

1679441488462.png
1679441659151.png

Attachments

• tesla_model_3-drip_edge.stl.zip
    1 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: m5james and coco135
Raining pretty hard in LA today so was able to test out a simple drip guard. It worked pretty well. Rain rolled off of the drip edge instead of onto the camera.

I attached the STL file so yo can print one if you'd like to try. Use some double sided tape and attach like in my photo. It barely obstructs the camera view.

View attachment 919962View attachment 919964
nicer than my execution but looks like you need to have it a bit bigger...mine is not distorted at all.

thinking about getting a 3D printer, which are you using and are you happy with it?
I have a couple printers now. Been doing it for about 5 years and design my own parts for other cars - but started out printing various things on thingiverse.com and printables.com.

My longest running printer is the Prusa MK3 - great machine and company, and can print ABS out of the box. Don't require much tuning, but do require some! My newest printer is a Bambu Labs X1 printer - has the next gen printer features such as auto bed leveling and first layer scanning. Most of your prints fail because the 1st layer was not right.

If you have some CAD knowledge, or will learn one - then 3d printers are amazing. Going from idea to part in less than a day is really fun. The bambu labs printer I just got prints 25-50% faster than other printers. Really fast iteration cycles.

But ultimately, you'll want to decide between cost, ease of use, and material usage and see what makes most sense. You can get an Ender or Creality machine (prusa clones) for less than $300 to try it out cheaply.

There are also resin printers - i have tried them several times, but they are too messy for me.

I attached the STL file so yo can print one if you'd like to try. Use some double sided tape and attach like in my photo. It barely obstructs the camera view. In the photo below of the screen, this was taken after an hour drive in heavy rain. Earlier in the day, I took our X out and within a minute it had multiple water spots making the camera unusable for the rest of the trip.
Based on this limited example it appears that most of the issue is drips from above and not spray from sides or below ?

View attachment 919962View attachment 919964
I had a buddy make me some of these from your file, thanks! It ironically hasn't rained in Seattle for a while so I never got to test it but I did install a sacrificial one on a loaner '15 Model S we had and honestly I wasn't a fan of how it can be seen along the top edge, which as a result, the camera image darkened as well.

My son's got a '23 MY and I've noticed he didn't have the same issue, or at not least nearly as bad. I measured his (bottom left), measured mine (bottom right, forgot to take a before picture :-/), but here's my before and after on our '17 X. Drilled and countersinking holes as far forward as I could to match...his has a depth of 22 while mines now 20. TBD how well it works.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_Site_1693182596288.jpg
    PhotoGrid_Site_1693182596288.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: tdiggity