Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla driver asleep at the wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can have your hands off the wheel for a few seconds (30?). Now that everybody has a video camera immediately to hand, these things will get filmed. As noted above, the difference between a Tesla on AP and any other car, is that with any other car, you'll have a crash before anybody can get a video of you.

A few seconds after this video was taken, the car loudly alerted the driver, and if he still didn't wake up and take the wheel, the car would slow down gradually and come to a stop. This is a much safer car than any other.

Note that there's a big difference between inattention or treating a car as though it was fully autonomous, and falling asleep. Nobody goes to sleep on purpose while driving a Tesla on autopilot. But a lot of people keep driving when they are tired, fall asleep, and crash. The difference with a Tesla on AP is that you are unlikely to crash.

Note that intentional inattention is another matter entirely. Some people treat AP as though it were FSD, take their hands off the wheel, do other stuff, and occasionally (pretty rarely) have an accident in the 30 seconds (?) before the car squeals at them to put their damn hands back on the wheel.

Some news stations choose to spin this as "Teslas are dangerous because people go to sleep while driving." A more accurate way to spin this story would be "Tesla driver falls asleep and the car doesn't crash. Amazing!"

It was pretty cool of this guy to beep, flag down the driver, or get a plate number to give to the police.

Oh, wait...he didn't do any of that.

Hmmmm......

(the irony being missed here is that the guy recording this took his attention off of driving to do it.....with no help from Autopilot)

The real irony is that after this segment the news went to commercial break and came back with an entire segment on the health benefits of napping!

Lol, so with no real information half this thread has determined this is clearly fake eh?
yes, and I am always baffled by the folks that think from just watching a video, they are 100% positive, certainly, no question, absolutely sure that the conclusion is one way or another, and no other possibility than what they think. I wouldn't want them on a jury for anything. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: T-Mom and TomB985
Doesn't look like a prank to me, though I'd have a hard time falling asleep with my head flopped forward like that. That Chinese couple is very lucky. 55mph on I-90 is pretty slow for such a heavily-trafficked and fast interstate, and they weren't in the right lane. Surprised drivers weren't honking at them.

I don’t know how this is happening. I mean, how it’s physically possible. Won’t the car stop eventually? On a personal side, I feel like this sets back autonomous driving for the rest of us.

In 2013, there were over 72,000 accidents caused by drowsy drivers. Had this occurred in any other vehicle, they would have crashed and maybe killed someone. But that wouldn’t make national news. People are looking at this situation incorrectly.

Dangers of Drowsy Driving

Reactions: doghousePVD
Sure it will...…. when AP drops out, the car starts to slow from regen, and then the car hits something. Ain't gonna stop by itself..... yet :) I'm hopeful for that some day.

Surely you need to RTFM.....

I'll let you go read about what ACTUALLY happens when all of the warnings are ignored, and then resubmit your findings to the class.

EDIT: OK. I read the manual.....

If you repeatedly ignore Autosteer's prompts for having your hands on the steering wheel, Autosteer disables for the rest of the drive and displays the following message.

If you don't resume manual steering, Autosteer sounds a continuous chime, turns on the warning flashers, and slows the vehicle to a complete stop

Last edited:
yes, and I am always baffled by the folks that think from just watching a video, they are 100% positive, certainly, no question, absolutely sure that the conclusion is one way or another, and no other possibility than what they think. I wouldn't want them on a jury for anything. :rolleyes:

Yup, 70,000 accidents due to drowsy driving but yet the detectives here have solved the case that a sleepy driver is an impossibility! Great work team!

This thread makes my head hurt.

The smartest people I’ve ever met speak to what they know, and always leave the door open for new information. They also acknowledge what they don’t know.

But here we have all kinds of people assuming and/or insisting that video is fake, as well as attacking others for their involvement. Like the news media for reporting it, or the person who took the video.

That Chinese couple is very lucky.
Hmmm, do you know something I don't? Wife says could be Korean or Japanese or something else :) She's Asian so I guess she can know better than me. Then she replies "Reminds me of the movie Crazy Rich Asians". I told her to go look in the mirror to remind herself of her nationality :D Then I step away so I don't get slapped.

Reactions: TESURA
This thread makes my head hurt.

The smartest people I’ve ever met speak to what they know, and always leave the door open for new information. They also acknowledge what they don’t know.

But here we have all kinds of people assuming and/or insisting that video is fake, as well as attacking others for their involvement. Like the news media for reporting it, or the person who took the video.

Because in 2019, we all know to trust everything the media reports at face value, without question. Da, komrade?

Because in 2019, we all know to trust everything the media reports at face value, without question. Da, komrade?
And, it's on the Internet!
lincoln.png