Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla driver asleep at the wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a big difference between “it could be fake”, and “it’s a FAKE!!!”

Without evidence to suggest it was made up, I could see it as being true. So why all the skepticism?
Oh, it might be the Tesla owner moto..... "Guilty till proven innocent"
Uh oh, I'm in trouble now. :D Wife shaking her head telling me "I am a sick puppy"

Reactions: AdamMacDon
The internet... misinforming people for over 80 years now.

The "news" in the OP is simply not possible. AP won't stay active without driver interaction. It slows to a stop and puts your hazard lights on.
What? My X won't stop like that. It will just deactivate AP and running into something. Is this a new 3 feature or something?

There is a big difference between “it could be fake”, and “it’s a FAKE!!!”

Without evidence to suggest it was made up, I could see it as being true. So why all the skepticism?
For me, it's because all of a sudden we're getting almost daily videos like this after years of autopilot being in use, plus the subjects are all so very "obviously asleep" that it reminds me of how little kids pretend to be asleep. They're awful at it.

What? My X won't stop like that. It will just deactivate AP and running into something. Is this a new 3 feature or something?
Run into something? Seriously? No emergency braking system on your X?

There's a YouTube video that demonstrates what happens in a model 3 if you don't interact with the AP when it asks you to... Let me find it and post it here.. but yeah, the car will come to a stop and put on the hazard lights.

Here you go:

Run into something? Seriously? No emergency braking system on your X?

There's a YouTube video that demonstrates what happens in a model 3 if you don't interact with the AP when it asks you to... Let me find it and post it here.. but yeah, the car will come to a stop and put on the hazard lights.

Here you go:

Yup, I am serious. Thanks for the video.

About 3 weeks ago, I tried out on our desert strip to see what would happen if I ignored the AP ("put your damn hands on the wheel") warning. After a short time, it beeped like crazy (like in that video), disabled the AP, started slowing due to regen braking, but never completely stopped. Maybe it is not supposed to do that, but that's what happened on a fairly recent update of the software. Maybe I need to go try it again with the update I got last week.

If I am seeing that video right, did the car stop in the middle of the road? Hmmmm, gee, I'd be concerned about being hit at high speed from behind on the interstate. Hoping it will pull over to side of road.

It just takes a few ounces of weight and the car would drive without driver interaction. It’s not rocket science, and probably not that uncommon either.
Ya know, I'm not too sure of that. Anecdotal evidence to follow...

So when I use AP, I put my left hand on my lap, grab the wheel, and apply constant left torque to the wheel. This seems to keep the AP happy for a while. But eventually I'll get the interaction required message, even though I'm applying the same left torque to the wheel. Here's where it gets interesting (and I'm hoping others will chime in with their experiences)... If I just release the torque on the wheel, the AP message won't go away. I have to release the torque, then re-apply the torque to remove the message. If I simply increase the torque, I get varied responses... sometimes the message will go away, other times I can continue to increase the torque and the message won't go away. At all. I've increased the torque gradually to the point of completely disengaging the AP without the driver interaction required message going away.

It would appear that the system is smart enough to not just go along with a constant pressure on the wheel; you gotta vary it every once in a while to keep it happy. Now my own individual experience certainly isn't enough to say that this is definitely the case... it just appears to be the case. Really hoping others will chime in with their results.

Reactions: TomLee
If I am seeing that video right, did the car stop in the middle of the road?
Yup, it sure did.

Hmmmm, gee, I'd be concerned about being hit at high speed from behind on the interstate. Hoping it will pull over to side of road.

Me too! But at least it's better than a driver falling asleep and killing everyone. :) Maybe the pull over to the side of the road will be a firmware version 10 feature? :D

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yup, it sure did.

Me too! But at least it's better than a driver falling asleep and killing everyone. :) Maybe the pull over to the side of the road will be a firmware version 10 feature? :D
Yes, and I'm hoping for that feature in time to come and probably will happen.
Actually, I prefer to have that James Bond thing to eject me out of the seat (but with a parachute). Hey, I had that in the Navy plane. :rolleyes:
OK, enough stupidity from me for the day. In to the dentist where it seems more painful than being rear-ended.

Reactions: Phlier
It would appear that the system is smart enough to not just go along with a constant pressure on the wheel; you gotta vary it every once in a while to keep it happy. Now my own individual experience certainly isn't enough to say that this is definitely the case... it just appears to be the case. Really hoping others will chime in with their results.

I can tell you from experience, the car will go indefinitely with weight on the wheel. I’ve done this on my car to manage a medical condition that has made consistent use of my hands difficult and painful. Keeping my hand on the wheel hurts after a few minutes, so this allows me to be comfortable on longer trips. I’ve gone for over an hour without touching the wheel, but of course using the opportunity to take a nap is grossly irresponsible to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and Phlier
I can tell you from experience, the car will go indefinitely with weight on the wheel. I’ve done this on my car to manage a medical condition that has made consistent use of my hands difficult and painful. Keeping my hand on the wheel hurts after a few minutes, so this allows me to be comfortable on longer trips. I’ve gone for over an hour without touching the wheel, but of course using the opportunity to take a nap is grossly irresponsible to say the least.
This is what I was hoping to get... other people's experiences with the driver interaction required messages. For some reason, our two cars respond very differently to constant weight on the wheel. I'm on HW 3, do you happen to know what version you're on, by chance?

Edit: And I think it's wonderful that a car now exists that allows you to drive without being in constant pain. Really sorry to hear about your condition, man, that really sucks. :(

How do you know they didn't try to wake the driver?

Because in most cases, the purpose for most paparazzis is geared toward fame and money and doing a good deed might steer them off to a detour.

For conscientious paparazzis, they would sacrifice the fame and money by:

1) Not endangering themselves and others by manually filming while driving.

2) Attempting to wake the sleeping driver

3) Attempting to slow the sleeping driver's car down by blocking in front.

Reactions: BrokerDon