Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are having the same discussion over on the Model S forum. Like the X, the S was supposed to come with standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility". Well, my headlights don't have the extra 3 LEDs in the upper row and I don't have the Adaptive option in my settings, but my fog lights appear to have an extra LED that lights when I turn the wheel. Is the the actual new feature but someone misrepresented it on the features page? I saved that page when I placed my order and it definitely said Three-position dynamic LED turning lights, so it wasn't added later. Tesla has some explaining to do to all recent owners regarding this feature (or lack of feature)

Thanks for the note. I think this is an universal issue and perhaps not related to my car only then. We have few people saying that they will take deliveries soon. Hope they report back.

Can you elaborate a little more on extra led light on the fog lights? I checked my fog lights and turned my wheels left/ right, but do not see any extra leds turn on. If you can provide a picture annotating the exact led light, it would be very much appreciated.

Other car makers do usually make a distinction between adaptive lighting and cornering lights.

Adaptive lights typically follow the direction of the steering wheel and are for higher speed - they are part of the main headlamps.

Cornering lamps are typically in the the fog light housing or main headlamp area and may be activated by the turn signal being on or turning the steering wheel at low speeds.

Some cars can have both

Other car makers do usually make a distinction between adaptive lighting and cornering lights.
I totally agree with you. I have no problem just having the cornering light in the fog light, if that is what is described. The issue is that the Tesla description of "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility" seems to describe driving lights as in Bjorn's video, which would need the 3 extra LEDs in the headlight assembly. When you look in the full specifications in Design Studio, they have the dynamic cornering light and bio defense as features, but leave open that they may not be standard. But the three position dynamic cornering light is listed as a standard feature while bio defense is part of the Premium package. I suspect that our Three position cornering light will end up being the one in the fog light, albeit with only one position. I wasn't able to see the fog light itself or take a picture as you have to be in Drive for it to work, and when you get out of the car to look, it shuts off. So I will need someone to sit in the car while I look and will try to do it sometime today, if someone hasn't already done it.

I would not be surprised if they are basically throwing on whatever is left in the parts bin during the end-of-quarter jam to get the cars out the door. In that case sometimes you win and sometimes you lose — it has happened to me both ways. Your best bet is documenting what you ordered (don’t rely on the abridged PDF) and get confirmation in writing of your most important features. Then at delivery document anything missing or wrong in your due bill and have your documentation ready as you may experience some push-back on some items (like the 3-way LED lights which require a different hardware headlight assembly). This doesn’t help the OP who already accepted delivery, but others in the same boat can get together and this always helps. I really appreciate everyone here and in the MS thread notifying us of these recent factory surprises as now those of us with pending deliveries know exactly what to check.

Can someone post a picture of these problem headlights?

The new "AP2.5" cars got a new headlight part number. Are we sure the headlights have just not changed? Perhaps software not enabled yet?

Just wanting to rule this angle out...

Can someone post a picture of these problem headlights?

The new "AP2.5" cars got a new headlight part number. Are we sure the headlights have just not changed? Perhaps software not enabled yet?

Just wanting to rule this angle out...

I have an AP2.5 car and these are how my headlights look (albeit for an S), no A1, A2, A3 LEDs

NOAFS.jpg

And these are how they are supposed to look if they have the AFS option:

AFS.jpg

My DS confirmed I should have had the AFS option and doesn't understand why I don't. He passed it to the service team to figure out. Could there really be LEDs behind that plastic? Or will they have to swap out the whole assembly? I don't have any Adaptive option in my menu, though there is an LED that comes on in the fog light assembly when I turn the wheel, but I don't consider that three-position LEDs cornering lights....

Last edited:
Same problem here. I took delivery first week of Sept non-PUP AP2.5.

I actually noticed the problem because I took a loaner while they worked through some issues and the headlights definitely moved when I turned the wheel. Came back to my car and no such thing happens.

X built 1st of September with PUP (AP 2.5) does have the lens in the headlights and the setting. Had to come back here to find it because of course it’s under Vehicle and not where the other Headlight settings are.

So, it’s definitely still in the 2.5 PUP cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outie
Sooo... this is interesting. I went down to my garage to test my lights. The cornering lights seem to be full on or off, there isn't a 3 position. Turning the wheel enough to kick them on and it goes full on. I also noticed when I turn my turn signal on they go on full as well. How many versions of these headlights are there?

1ZqR1WT.jpg

@Xtek can you clarify if you have pup and when your car was built? I think some of us are looking to hear from non-pup owners on whether they have the cornering / adaptive headlights.

I cannot confirm when it was built unfortunately as it was an inventory car. VIN is 053xxx. I do have PUP, but it's still interesting that these seem to be behaving differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooo... this is interesting. I went down to my garage to test my lights. The cornering lights seem to be full on or off, there isn't a 3 position.
Soooo, in Tesla-speak, 3 position may mean 1) Straight line, main beam is on, neither cornering light is on 2) Left turn, main beam and left cornering light on 3) Right turn, main beam and right cornering light on.... There you go, 3-position...

However, this doesn't seem to jive with Bjorn's video, which seems to show a progressive lighting of LEDs as he turns....

Or there’s a mixed up where adaptive lights should only be in PUP but now that fog lights is standard it’s supposed to add cornering light (from the fog lights), and not actual adaptive lights.
That would be fine if they called it something else, but the "Three-position dynamic LED cornering light" feature that was in the PUP package is called the same thing in the now standard feature list. Furthermore, my DS compared the option codes for my car and he said I had the same feature code as a showroom car with Adaptive lighting. So, if they changed the actual physical feature but still used that same option code, that is pretty confusing as well...

Reactions: ab26
Sooo... this is interesting. I went down to my garage to test my lights. The cornering lights seem to be full on or off, there isn't a 3 position. Turning the wheel enough to kick them on and it goes full on. I also noticed when I turn my turn signal on they go on full as well. How many versions of these headlights are there?

Didn't the manual state that they only go adaptive while you are driving, not while you are stopped?