Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another tragic fatality with a semi in Florida. This time a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this current rate, there's just no way FSD will be ready by next year. They might be 95% close. But that last 5% needs to happen before it can be deemed acceptable. We are talking about people's lives at stake. I just shudder at the thought of a Tesla roaming the local streets on it's own.

Reactions: OPRCE
Having said that, the most important thing to take away from this is to make it more clear to everyone how radar works or more precisely how it doesn't with stationary objects.
Wait a second there. You are talking about one of my areas of great expertise over many decades. RADAR (all caps by the way) does see stationary objects very well if the object is made of such a material as to reflect the pulse. In other words, most things (but not all) on the roadway. The problem is how the RADAR data is processed. Hence software.

I am under the assumption that the current hardware was not sophisticated enough to correctly map objects correctly. I am guessing that the FSD computer running at a much higher framerate with full resolution will be able to correctly identify whether objects are in the road or overhead in scenarios like this.

This may be an assumption, but I think issues like this wreck are from not identifying the world correctly from limitations of the software and hardware suite. Hopefully that's a correct assumption, but I won't ever plan to test this scenario on how autopliot handles it anytime soon. I have had a truck cut me off ahead and I braked since that is what you are supposed to do when driving. Driver inattentiveness is why the car never braked, but getting complacent is an issue still.

Reactions: OPRCE
Wait a second there. You are talking about one of my areas of great expertise over many decades. RADAR (all caps by the way) does see stationary objects very well if the object is made of such a material as to reflect the pulse. In other words, most things (but not all) on the roadway. The problem is how the RADAR data is processed. Hence software.
The problem is that RADAR has low resolution, if it didn't there would be no reason to invent LIDAR.

The problem is that RADAR has low resolution, if it didn't there would be no reason to invent LIDAR.
Yes Daniel. I think we might say that the Tesla RADAR specifically might have low resolution rather than a general statement about RADAR :) I've worked on some military systems with incredible resolution that is almost too hard to believe. But as you probably know, pretty hard to put good resolution in a car at a reasonable price. Having said that, it is hard for me to imagine that the Tesla RADAR is so poor as to not see an object that big. Of the raw data I've seen in recent months, it's almost fool-proof for an object that big.

They said he didn't turn on AP until shortly before the accident occurred, so he drove his morning trip manually for the most part

That’s what did him in. Needed something from the backseat or ?

I did it the other day taking my daughter to the airport and my wife sitting next to me handing me a hamburger. Not perfect. I never took my eyes off the road and one hand on the wheel. One foot fanning the brake pedal. Hungry. In hindsight now. Not worth it.
@Oldschool496, wow that must have hit you like a ton of bricks. Sorry you and your family lost someone you knew in this fashion. Thank you for sharing that with us. Helps I think make it more real.

I got my car shortly after the first Black Model S broadside under-ride accident in Florida in 2016. I was sure it’s was a heart attack, fallen asleep or other. It could have been anything. That case as I recall the AP had been activated for a very long time and it was during the time of no nags. In fact some were jumping in the back seat videoing driverless cars. The nags are not going to save us if your not holding that wheel and paying full attention. Tragic loss of life will occur until we learn here. People are giving there lives to show us. This is hitting me hard. I love my car, but that blood all over the backseat of that model 3 white seats in the pic belonged to a human. I’m disappointed. This is not good, I’m sitting here in my car after pulling into the garage after work, writing this pondering how is this gonna turn out? Say a prayer for his children, they have no father now.

Yes, the pulse will bounce off and get received. However, if the hardware is using Doppler shift and filtering the background noise (vehicle speed), the return will not be passed along to the AP SW. Even if it passes the full return, it's not simple to discriminate objects from random background.

This isn't SAR...

Yes Daniel. I think we might say that the Tesla RADAR specifically might have low resolution rather than a general statement about RADAR :) I've worked on some military systems with incredible resolution that is almost too hard to believe. But as you probably know, pretty hard to put good resolution in a car at a reasonable price. Having said that, it is hard for me to imagine that the Tesla RADAR is so poor as to not see an object that big. Of the raw data I've seen in recent months, it's almost fool-proof for an object that big.
Absolutely, the problem might be that it sees an object that big in the middle of the road 110% of the time. The extra 10% of the time it's an overpass.

Yes, the pulse will bounce off and get received. However, if the hardware is using Doppler shift and filtering the background noise (vehicle speed), the return will not be passed along to the AP SW. Even if it passes the full return, it's not simple to discriminate objects from random background.

This isn't SAR...
I got you, but probably way over the head of some folks here who don't work in that area. :)

View attachment 382653
.. reads as if no sensors are designed to detect a stationary object in the planned path, implying that whether they do is considered coincidental.

For the purposes of AP detecting a slow-moving perpendicular truck up ahead, it is effectively a stationary object.
You are putting too much emphasis on that word "traveling". That's not the way I interpret it.

That second statement is not correct. I think you might be forgetting about Alberts ole saying "It's all relative". A stationary object in front of the car (a truck in this case) is not perceived by the "sensors" to be stationary because the Tesla is moving. It is only perceived to be stationary if both the Tesla and the truck are stationary :) So to say another way, it is somewhat similar if the Tesla is not moving, but the truck is coming toward the car.

That second statement is not correct. I think you might be forgetting about Alberts ole saying "It's all relative". A stationary object in front of the car (a truck in this case) is not perceived by the "sensors" to be stationary because the Tesla is moving. It is only perceived to be stationary if both the Tesla and the truck are stationary :) So to say another way, it is somewhat similar if the Tesla is not moving, but the truck is coming toward the car.

For Doppler, it is accurate. There is no different in the rate if change or range for a perpendicular moving vehicke than there is for the scene as a whole. So the truck is stationary in the same sense the world is stationary, both have the same rate. The RADAR filters out the returns where speed equals vehicle speed so that the scene (road, signs, guardrails) does not generate objects to track.

Nothing to defend, it is an assist system, not a driver replacement system. If I take my hands of the wheel of my truck, I will likely crash in under 8 seconds regardless of if there is a semi across the road.

Reactions: VQTRVA
Status
Not open for further replies.