Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another tragic fatality with a semi in Florida. This time a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the funniest thing in the last couple pages is neither side of this pointless argument has realized that a Model 3 actually does not let you drive if you don't have a seatbelt on (it will throw itself in park at low speeds or if you are stopped for a bit, and tell you to put your belt on).

Which funnily enough, it also mentions in the manual...

Uh... no? I can definitely drive without my seatbelt on. You just can’t use autopilot. I would be OK if it requires it, but it doesn’t.

Because you are suggesting Tesla disable AP in areas it’s not recommended for. If people can’t be free to make decisions on when to use AP outside of recommended areas I would think you would be in favor of nannie-fi’ing pedestrians as well.

well, you would be making a poor assumption, silly. Your derp.

And, actually, that’s not what I’m arguing. I’m arguing that a fool shouting not to use AP in situations like this and “read the manual” should support the idea of limiting autopilot. But the fool doesn’t, because the fool is using autopilot just like this guy did, but the fool hasn’t had a truck pull out in front of him yet.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
well, you would be making a poor assumption, silly. Your derp.

And, actually, that’s not what I’m arguing. I’m arguing that a fool shouting not to use AP in situations like this and “read the manual” should support the idea of limiting autopilot.
I’m not assuming anything, just responding to post #933 of your which says:
“Again, missing the point. If the point is to be clear about where you should use AP, they could be even clearer by disabling it. Right?”
:confused:

Maybe at this point, @Knightshade has you so confused in what you are trying to argue that even you have lost track.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
What does my post regarding AP have to do with pedestrian crossings? assuming...
You don’t read very well. Or maybe just don’t comprehend very well. Of course, you are the one who forgot you suggested disabling AP in areas where it isn’t recommended so it doesn’t surprise me. I’m sure others are smart enough to garner the comparison I made. Sorry it went above your head. I’ll try and dumb it down from here on out for you.

• Disagree
You don’t read very well. Or maybe just don’t comprehend very well. Of course, you are the one who forgot you suggested disabling AP in areas where it isn’t recommended so it doesn’t surprise me. I’m sure others are smart enough to garner the comparison I made. Sorry it went above your head. I’ll try and dumb it down from here on out for you.

a lot of words to not answer a question.

You think Tesla should disable AP for areas where it isn’t recommended. So I asked you if you think we should build walls to prevent pedestrians from jaywalking.

I don’t see the connection between the two, (you haven’t offered up a clear connection) and in any case it is dumb for you to assume that I would consider jaywalking the same as trusting a computer which makes decisions based on a set of variables that the end user doesn’t know, and would thusly require the same sort of treatment.

I don’t see the connection between the two, (you haven’t offered up a clear connection) and in any case it is dumb for you to assume that I would consider jaywalking the same as trusting a computer which makes decisions based on a set of variables that the end user doesn’t know, and would thusly require the same sort of treatment.
Ah finally, a logical response. Agreed those aren’t on the same level at first glance. But if you think about it from a high level they really aren’t that different. YOU are still in control of the car when on AP and should be ready to take over at any time. Doesn’t matter what variables the driver doesn’t know. Just like a jaywalker crossing where they shouldn’t, the onus is on the person in control of the situation. Same is the case for AP, onus is on the driver.

Except, of course, I'm not, since we're discussing adding multiple functions to multiple parts of the existing code

I said it was possible. If the entire code was written on one line, it would compile the same as if it was written on 25000000000 lines of code.

https://www.quora.com/Do-line-spaces-matter-when-a-program-is-executed

learn ya some...

So first- no, there's not. There's many that offer some inferior version often not as capable as what tesla offered 5 years ago though.

How did you objectively determine that. I have no experience with other self driving vehicles, so, I can’t say, but overall I think Tesla’s self driving tech is over valued. It’s real deal is with the batteries.

But know what all of those have in common?

100% of them already have the hardware to put in the limts we are talking about

So once again your claim it'd cost tons of $ to add HW is idiotic since they already have that hardware

Those cars maybe, but not all new cars why should a seatbelt interlock only apply to cars with self driving features?

Nope. But you are suggesting they disable AP for areas where it isn’t recommended. Hence you aren’t allowing the onus to be put on the driver for their actions.

So, on roads where it is recommended, is the onus on the driver or the car? (The answer the driver, on both accounts). So, we aren’t talking about responsibility. We are talking about temptation. If we are going to say it is the drivers fault they are dead, and we know there is something that Tesla could easily do to limit confusion over APs capabilities, and we know that doing that could save lives, there is no legitimate reason to not disable AP on roads where it is not recommended.

Last edited:
So, on roads where it is recommended, is the onus on the driver or the car? There is no legitimate reason to not disable AP on roads where it is not recommended.
I hope you know the answer to that. Sure there is a legitimate reason not to disable it. It works just great on highways that don’t have traditional off ramps. I use it all the time in these scenarios and I use it prudently. I think I’ve finally figured it out. You need to be told (or enforced by Tesla) where you can use AP. Have fun with your quest. Those of us that are smart enough to know when to use it or not outside of the normal highways will continue to do do. You should not be using AP as you clearly can’t define when it’s safe or not.

I said it was possible.

Yes, and you keep being wrong about it.

Because you'd need to modify existing code that lives in entirely different places

You can't do that with one line.

Your links to red herring spacing things that don't actually change you being wrong notwithstanding :)

How did you objectively determine that. I have no experience with other self driving vehicles

Clearly.

I've driven quite a few, usually on test drives or in rental cars. They all suck compared to Teslas system. Generally many fewer capabilities and the ones they do have are functionally inferior.

Also numerous car mags and other sources have done comparison testing- and they generally find the same thing.

The least crap alternative is Caddys Supercruise.... which works on far far fewer roads simply because it ONLY works in places they have HD LIDAR mapping of.

And even then it doesn't do many of the things Teslas system can (it can't change lanes...there's no equivalent to nav on autopilot, the nearest follow distance is still so far you get lots of cut ins, etc....)

, so, I can’t say, but overall I think Tesla’s self driving tech is over valued.

Then you continue your unbroken streak of wrong about virtually everything :)

Those cars maybe, but not all new cars

MOVE MOVE MOVE THOSE GOALPOSTS!

First it was just Teslas but you were proven wrong about that one.

Then it was all cars with any AP features- and you were wrong again.

Now it's "all" new cars.... and guess what? You're STILL wrong.

If you think you're not- please by all means show me any new car (US OR europe, you pick!) that doesn't already have the hardware from the factory to detect if the drivers seat belt is engaged or not, and the ability to refuse to go into drive if specific conditions aren't met?

Any of em.

We'll wait.

Especially if you stop spouting all this other ignorance until you find one :)

• Disagree
I've driven quite a few, usually on test drives or in rental cars. They all suck compared to Teslas system. Generally many fewer capabilities and the ones they do have are functionally inferior.
Subjective opinions are like used toilet paper...

Also numerous car mags and other sources have done comparison testing- and they generally find the same thing.

The least crap alternative is Caddys Supercruise.... which works on far far fewer roads simply because it ONLY works in places they have HD LIDAR mapping of.

so, other car manufacturers who are more experienced in liability management have decided to limit their system to a set of known circumstances. Neat.

First it was just Teslas but you were proven wrong about that one.
It was never just Teslas. Why should only Tesla’s have seatbelt interlocks? You maybe decided to put blinders on but I didn’t.

Then it was all cars with any AP features- and you were wrong again.

As above...

Now it's "all" new cars....

As it always was.

If you think you're not- please by all means show me any new car (US OR europe, you pick!) that doesn't already have the hardware from the factory to detect if the drivers seat belt is engaged or not, and the ability to refuse to go into drive if specific conditions aren't met?

How above you show me some mass market cars without self driving that have that capability documented?

Any of em.

We'll wait.

Especially if you stop spouting all this other ignorance until you find one :)

Last edited:
I hope you know the answer to that. Sure there is a legitimate reason not to disable it. It works just great on highways that don’t have traditional off ramps. I use it all the time in these scenarios and I use it prudently.

To quote @Knightshade , read the damn manual you fool, you shouldn’t be using AP in this scenario. What happened to using your own onus!? Do you not value your own life?

Also, this is exactly the scenario in the accident. That’s my point, it works great in scenarios like the accident scenario till something unexpected happens. “Should of read the manual” is a stupid response.

Subjective opinions are like used toilet paper...

Finally a topic you might know something about! :)

so, other car manufacturers who are more experienced in liability management have decided to limit their system to a set of known circumstances. Neat.

No- the system literally can't function anyplace there's not an HD LIDAR map.

Most other companies offering driver aids (which aren't as good as Caddys and MUCH worse than Teslas) let you turn them on anywhere.

This way they can suck on BOTH highways AND local roads!

It was never just Teslas.

Except, again, it demonstrably and factually was.

This is a tesla thread on a tesla forum.

The original suggestion to have an AP lockout was about Teslas.

When asked about OTHER lockouts (with nobody mentioning anything other than Teslas) you told us you'd need to add expensive HW to do them.

That was factually untrue.

So you said you maybe really meant ALL cars with AP like functions.

Except then you found out THEY have all the HW already so you were still wrong.

Now you're moving the goalposts to ALL new cars.

Except those already have the HW too.

You keep getting more wrong the more you type- it's hilarious!

So far every car you've moved the goalposts to include already has all the hardware needed

So when you told us this would require adding expensive hardware you- as you have been throughout- were factually wrong.

How above you show me some mass market cars without self driving that have that capability documented?

... what?

You want me to show you cars that have documented the fact they know the seatbelt is on or not?

Uh... all of them

That's the point. You're an idiot who doesn't understand basic facts.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM02580U/pdf/OM02580U.pdf

That's the 2020 Toyota Corolla owners manual.

●The SRS seat cushion airbag on
the front passenger seat will not
operate if the occupant is not
wearing a seat belt.

That'd be impossible if the car didn't already have the HW to know if they were wearing a seat belt.

then on page 73 it tells you what one of the dash lights is:

Driver’s and front passenger’s seat belt reminder
light

Because- of course, the car has the hardware to know if the drivers seat belt is on or not.

There ya go.

Your turn to show me a current new car that does NOT have the HW to know that.

Put up or shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.