Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antelope Canyon - From Flagstaff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I am planning a short trip from Flagstaff to Antelope Canyon near Page next weekend. I ran the trip throug the Tesla, EVTripPlanner, EVTripping and ABetterRoutePlanner (yes, OCD kicked in).

I get wildly different numbers from all those, especially for the return trip (Antelope to Flagstaff). I am a little worried as the final part of that leg is driving up a 7000ft mountain and I will have little chance to adjust my driving at that point. With a 100% charge starting in Page, I get between negative values (slow to 62), 17% remaining and 35% remaining. The Tesla planner is most optimistic but I really don't trust that one.

Has anyone done this trip not driving a 100D?

Very excited to see the Antelope Canyon and might make a detour to see Glen Canyon Dam but will charge at Page before we return to Flagstaff.

I drove Flagstaff to Page (both directions) last May in my S 75D (highway 89). It was part of a longer trip from Tucson to the Seattle area via Utah, Idaho, and Oregon. I don't recall any specifics of energy usage, but I didn't experience any range anxiety or need to slow down in order to make it. I relied solely on the in car trip planner. I'll add that I'm very conservative and generally don't leave a supercharger until the energy app says I'll make it to my destination with at least 20% remaining.

Try to visit Lower Antelope Canyon as well. It's probably less visited, though I can't say for sure. It's quite narrow and you really get the feeling of "slot canyon." Entering it was an amazing experience; you literally climb down (there are steps) into a narrow crack in the ground. (At least that's the way it was when I was there a few years ago.)

PLEASE make sure you record your trip as carefully as possible and report back here how well each of those trip planners corresponded to your experience. OCD is great....as long as it's the next fella.

Sorry to just throw this in there. Just a phenomenal trip. Really looking forward to see it all go together. Enjoy planning. I did not do it with my S. Wish I had now.
IMG_9259.jpg

I am planning a short trip from Flagstaff to Antelope Canyon near Page next weekend. I ran the trip throug the Tesla, EVTripPlanner, EVTripping and ABetterRoutePlanner (yes, OCD kicked in).

I get wildly different numbers from all those, especially for the return trip (Antelope to Flagstaff). I am a little worried as the final part of that leg is driving up a 7000ft mountain and I will have little chance to adjust my driving at that point. With a 100% charge starting in Page, I get between negative values (slow to 62), 17% remaining and 35% remaining. The Tesla planner is most optimistic but I really don't trust that one.

Has anyone done this trip not driving a 100D?

Very excited to see the Antelope Canyon and might make a detour to see Glen Canyon Dam but will charge at Page before we return to Flagstaff.
Would be helpful to know what kind of Tesla you are taking. Your sig only says "Model X." At ~130 miles I'm inclined to say it should be no problem even with the elevation but if you're in a 60 or something I suppose it could be.

Would be helpful to know what kind of Tesla you are taking. Your sig only says "Model X." At ~130 miles I'm inclined to say it should be no problem even with the elevation but if you're in a 60 or something I suppose it could be.
Oops, always thought it was in my Signature (I will update it). It is a 90D. It is not the distance that is the problem but the rather larger climbs. Again, it depends on the trip planner you look at but in all cases the trip back to Flagstaff has a considerably larger power consumption because of the climb from near zero back to 7000ft in Flagstaff.

I drove Flagstaff to Page (both directions) last May in my S 75D (highway 89). It was part of a longer trip from Tucson to the Seattle area via Utah, Idaho, and Oregon. I don't recall any specifics of energy usage, but I didn't experience any range anxiety or need to slow down in order to make it. I relied solely on the in car trip planner. I'll add that I'm very conservative and generally don't leave a supercharger until the energy app says I'll make it to my destination with at least 20% remaining.

Try to visit Lower Antelope Canyon as well. It's probably less visited, though I can't say for sure. It's quite narrow and you really get the feeling of "slot canyon." Entering it was an amazing experience; you literally climb down (there are steps) into a narrow crack in the ground. (At least that's the way it was when I was there a few years ago.)

Yes, it is the return trip (Page --> Flagstaff) that I am most worried about. I will certainly try to charge to 100% in Page and usually go for 20-30% at destination which I know is probably overkill. There are no charging option along the route that would truly help.

PLEASE make sure you record your trip as carefully as possible and report back here how well each of those trip planners corresponded to your experience. OCD is great....as long as it's the next fella.
I might sign up for TeslaFi again but otherwise I will take before / after and trip consumption reading.

Sorry to just throw this in there. Just a phenomenal trip. Really looking forward to see it all go together. Enjoy planning. I did not do it with my S. Wish I had now.
View attachment 292363
Very much looking forward to seeing this too. Thought about taking the ICE but just can't do it...

Not sure we will be able to see the lower canyon

Oops, always thought it was in my Signature (I will update it). It is a 90D. It is not the distance that is the problem but the rather larger climbs. Again, it depends on the trip planner you look at but in all cases the trip back to Flagstaff has a considerably larger power consumption because of the climb from near zero back to 7000ft in Flagstaff.
Page is 4k ft, not 0. It's a tough enough leg that you should take some precautions, such as charging to near full and paying attention to how quick you are losing charge, but I'm sure you will be fine.

FWIW I did the same trip in reverse with an MS90D. I realize it's apples and oranges, because of the elevation drop/gain, but I don't even recall having to think about my range on that trip.

Page is 4k ft, not 0. It's a tough enough leg that you should take some precautions, such as charging to near full and paying attention to how quick you are losing charge, but I'm sure you will be fine.

FWIW I did the same trip in reverse with an MS90D. I realize it's apples and oranges, because of the elevation drop/gain, but I don't even recall having to think about my range on that trip.
Thank you for the additional info. Here is the elevation graph from Google Maps
Page-2-Flagstaff-ElevationGraph.PNG

There is still quite a climb from the middle of the route. My average power consumption over my 30k miles is 345w/mile. I am sure a model S is a fair bit lower. I think I will be OK. Just really need to watch my speed / consumption.

I’ve driven my S60 to Page before there was a Supercharger in Page... we charged at one of the RV parks. Flag to Page is easy.

But we then went to Monument Valley from Page, not back to Flagstaff on that trip. Return to Phoenix was via Chinle and Holbrook. I drove under the speed limit from MV to Chinle, and then the speed limit to Holbrook and made it OK (about 15 miles to spare), about 5 more than EV Trip Planner estimated.

A few months later, we did a big road trip up to BC. The trip back included Yellowstone and Moab, so we went from Blanding to Flagstaff, which is well beyond my 60s range. We stopped at Goulding’s in Monument Valley to charge for a couple hours, and then stopped at the HPWC in Tuba City for just under 2 hours. We used EV Trip Planner estimates, and made it to Flagstaff with more range than the estimate. The climb up to Sunset Crater was dicey — range kept dropping, and the in-car estimate dropped below 0 for a bit. We slowed down to 45-50 for about 10 miles to let it recover, which helped...

My suggestion is just drive slow - start out 5 under the limit, and each the forecasted range graph. If it goes down, slow down a little more. If it goes up, go the limit for a bit. Once you crest the hill by Sunset Crater, you should be OK — It’s downhill to the Flag Supercharger from there!

Other things that increase range:
-being sure there is enough air in your tires
-set suspension to LOW
-and obviously be sure you have regenerative braking on

There are drawbacks to inflating tires high and setting suspension low, but these will increase your range. Proceed at your own risk.

Other things that increase range:
-being sure there is enough air in your tires
-set suspension to LOW
-and obviously be sure you have regenerative braking on

There are drawbacks to inflating tires high and setting suspension low, but these will increase your range. Proceed at your own risk.

That is a good point. Tires will be checked and set on the high end of normal (I don't like to over inflate) but I should change my suspension setting to always be low. Currently they are set to standard with low at 60mph

I’ve driven my S60 to Page before there was a Supercharger in Page... we charged at one of the RV parks. Flag to Page is easy.

But we then went to Monument Valley from Page, not back to Flagstaff on that trip. Return to Phoenix was via Chinle and Holbrook. I drove under the speed limit from MV to Chinle, and then the speed limit to Holbrook and made it OK (about 15 miles to spare), about 5 more than EV Trip Planner estimated.

A few months later, we did a big road trip up to BC. The trip back included Yellowstone and Moab, so we went from Blanding to Flagstaff, which is well beyond my 60s range. We stopped at Goulding’s in Monument Valley to charge for a couple hours, and then stopped at the HPWC in Tuba City for just under 2 hours. We used EV Trip Planner estimates, and made it to Flagstaff with more range than the estimate. The climb up to Sunset Crater was dicey — range kept dropping, and the in-car estimate dropped below 0 for a bit. We slowed down to 45-50 for about 10 miles to let it recover, which helped...

My suggestion is just drive slow - start out 5 under the limit, and each the forecasted range graph. If it goes down, slow down a little more. If it goes up, go the limit for a bit. Once you crest the hill by Sunset Crater, you should be OK — It’s downhill to the Flag Supercharger from there!

You are much braver than I am! I can't imagine driving below the speed limit on most of these roads as everyone, including trucks, go over. I think we will be ok. I will take some of my tripplanner data with me in case I want to compare on the road.

Ok, so we made the round trip yesterday and it was an easy ride.

Here is the drive from Flagstaff to Page. I knew this direction was not going to be a problem so we ran +4 on speed

Flagstaff-to-Page.PNG

Then on the way back to Flagstaff and up the mountain, also not a problem. We kept to the speed limit or a little under the entire time except for one time when we passed someone going even slower.
Page-to-Flagstaff.PNG

We charged to 100% both times. The distances vary a little because we started and ended in two different spots in Flagstaff.

I assume I could have driven a little faster on the way home.

BTW: For those of you who haven't driven this: It is the most bizarre landscape for most of the drive. There really is no vegetation and it looks like you are driving on some alien planet until you get closer to Page.

Antelope Canyon was amazing. I could post more picture but there are so many out there.

I ended up seeing a Model 3 charging in Flagstaff. It was a Tesla employee on their way to the Grand Canyon.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I didn't have to worry so much. I am still really surprised about the difference between the different route planners out there.