Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate that; the hardest part about writing it was balancing the broader questions I wanted to raise with my genuine appreciation of Tesla. It's an impressive company, and the Model S is simply a superb car.
Welcome. I must say I don't see how the small amount of community support that some dealers may or may not provide are worth the inefficiencies of the dealer model in general. I also don't see any way for them to successfully sell a product that is likely to make all their other products obsolete.

I appreciate that; the hardest part about writing it was balancing the broader questions I wanted to raise with my genuine appreciation of Tesla. It's an impressive company, and the Model S is simply a superb car.

A very well written article. You did a very good job of pointing out the differences in both sales models and asking good questions about each. I was very pleased that it was not overly dramatized and polarized.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome. I must say I don't see how the small amount of community support that some dealers may or may not provide are worth the inefficiencies of the dealer model in general. I also don't see any way for them to successfully sell a product that is likely to make all their other products obsolete.

The comment I made is that while the dealerships themselves might be local, they don't necessarily have to be owned locally and the product they sell is definitely not made locally. In the case of a foreign car dealership then a piece of that money leaves the country. In one way or the other most of the money is leaving the local area. The money from gas used by the gas car has a good chance that it is leaving the country too. In the case of an electric car charged from your home then the money is definitely going to your local power station.

I think the end result is about the same when you really start thinking about it.

Seriously, an excellent article. In a sense, what Tesla threatens to do is very much like Wall Mart did to small town family businesses around the country.

That said, Tesla is hardly Wall Mart yet, and they are very right to be concerned about the fact that the dealership interests that want to lock them out, are the same folks who are demanding that Tesla provide them with a dealership franchise. And it is these same folks whose main business would be most threatened by the success of Tesla.

That misalignment of incentives is one that can hardly be an appealing prospect for Tesla to risk it's future on. And this is completely aside from the fact that Tesla badly needs the cash that these dealers would siphon off. Gen III engineering projects that will change the world don't pay for themselves.

So Tesla has every incentive to tell the dealers to just suck it up and get ready to be put out of business. Large scale innovation rarely happens without someone ending up on the losing side. Little leagues will figure out how to survive. After all, nobody is talking about putting Pizza Parlors out of business.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to TMC! :)

Wal-Mart frequently is held up as an example of all that is wrong with national corporate America. Most of the jabs are true as well. However, in the end we get what we deserve. When Wal-Mart opens in Small Town USA no one is holding a gun to the head of the local population to switch from Small Town Grocer to big evil Wal-Mart. They switch due to price and/or selection. Don't like them, don't use them; and if enough people agree they go out of business.

Short of riding a bicycle, every form of transportation is going to leave a carbon footprint. The good news with EVs is the fact that it can lessen with age.

Bikes do, too, because you (the person pedaling) run on hydrocarbons. In fact, they're pretty comparable to a Roadster because food production is none-too-efficient in terms of CO2/joule. See this post that I wrote a couple of years ago (Bike vs. Roadster [Archive] - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum). People had some legitimate concerns about it (I didn't count manufacturing or the road, vegetarians have lower carbon footprint than meat-eaters, the calorie numbers were a little questionable), but the basic point that the two are pretty comparable still stands.

Short of riding a bicycle, every form of transportation is going to leave a carbon footprint. The good news with EVs is the fact that it can lessen with age.

That's simply untrue. There can certainly be 0 carbon emission cradle to grave for a Tesla. Not having carbon based fuel while it is operating is a huge step.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't count manufacturing or the road, vegetarians have lower carbon footprint than meat-eaters, the calorie numbers were a little questionable

I see this from time to time. Seems like part of the gish gallop against green energy. Other than transportation and power requirements food is carbon neutral. It is made from carbon captured by plants, and those plants then eaten by animals. If infact all human and animal waste and resulting decomposition gases were buried it would be carbon negative.

The line in the article about young people getting jobs at the car dealership is empty. Walk into any Tesla store and the entire staff is 20 somethings. They are not on commission but there is an incentive plan. And with a new company, the room for advancement is stellar.

So Tesla has every incentive to tell the dealers to just suck it up and get ready to be put out of business. Large scale innovation rarely happens without someone ending up on the losing side. Little leagues will figure out how to survive. After all, nobody is talking about putting Pizza Parlors out of business.

And I can't believe I'm the first to point out that every Tesla Service center (there are more of them than stores) could be given a corporate stipend of a few thousand each for the local Service Managers to give to regional charities.

Another way of funding local communities. The CEO has said that the Tesla Service Centers should operate on a "no profit" basis (really!) I'm sure customers would not mind if Tesla made a 5% profit and donated those monies for local park benches, the softball teams, and beach cleanup efforts.

That's just it. If the DO make and EV, they make sure it's inferior to their ICE cars. The product, EV, is not "likely to make their products obsolete", it has already done so. It's a conundrum. They see the end of the tunnel, and there is no light. EVs aren't using the tunnel any more. ICE cars have no long term future.

And we have our first entry for the new topic: Tesla's Valuation After A 12.7% Sales Decrease And Uncertain Internet Sales Model - Seeking Alpha

Shorts gonna be haters it seems

Where did someone get the bright idea to associate deliveries with sales? Autodata never even mentioned sales, but every article since has been pointing out a "decline in sales".

Like - what would have been the U.S. May delivery numbers if Tesla sold 10000 cars? Or what about 0 cars? Would it have been anything other than 1425?

- - - Updated - - -

Why create page views (and $$) for people who write things you don't believe in, and may ultimately hurt your own financial position?

There's no paywall there. The author's motivation is to get the price down since he shorted at $50. (Read his previous articles on it).