Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticlockwise Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no Tesla owner just an interested follower of Tessie's journey. The technical details are really interesting and help me to understand what's actually involved in doing this trip.
Thanks Kirstymay. Tessie loves to delight her followers.

In Darwin - Hooray !
20160823_164804.jpg

John seems happy too for some reason.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Looks like Tessie got the long awaited bath.
She's looking great Jeff. Next big wash in Perth so she can meet your fine machine!

Just thinking ...

We're about to start the Darwin to Broome leg, and try to pick up a bit of 3 phase on the way.

I know your Leaf charges at 15A single phase (and in practice you use only 10A), but as you say the more modern Leafs charge at 30A single phase. In that case I would think future Leaf tourers should carry an adapter to get 30A 1ph out of a 32A 3ph outlet, and take advantage of all the 32A 3ph going onto Plugshare (mainly as a result of the good work of @MDK, @Blue heaven and @Techno-phile).

Does this make sense from the Leaf POV? If so maybe you could join the 32A 3ph crusade on behalf of your fellow Leaf owners?? It would be great to let site owners know that another EV is coming !

Just speculative. You know much more than me here!

What do you think?

Last edited:
Tessie looks beautiful after a wash.
Best wishes for this leg. It really is the most epic part of what you are doing.

The QLD Tesla staff were very excited to hear you had charged at the frosty mango.i told them last night at the X launch where we were also amazed at your -23% feat.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Tessie looks beautiful after a wash.
Best wishes for this leg. It really is the most epic part of what you are doing.

The QLD Tesla staff were very excited to hear you had charged at the frosty mango.i told them last night at the X launch where we were also amazed at your -23% feat.

Thanks KT !

Here's the last "clean Tessie" shot in the evening light at Fannie bay.
20160824_182756.jpg

(pity about the bollards!)

Great that some of the Tesla folk are interested!

Your MX will look great in blue. When is it expected now?

Reactions: jbcarioca
I know your Leaf charges at 15A single phase (and in practice you use only 10A), but as you say the more modern Leafs charge at 30A single phase. In that case I would think future Leaf tourers should carry an adapter to get 30A 1ph out of a 32A 3ph outlet, and take advantage of all the 32A 3ph going onto Plugshare (mainly as a result of the good work of @MDK, @Blue heaven and @Techno-phile).

Does this make sense from the Leaf POV? If so maybe you could join the 32A 3ph crusade on behalf of your fellow Leaf owners?? It would be great to let site owners know that another EV is coming !

My LEAF (and all others in Oz at this time) have a built in charger with a maximum rating of 3.3kW (15A). To use it to its full capability requires a 15A EVSE which is available from "roadside" L2 (J1772) chargers like ChargePoint, etc. The EVSE that comes with the car is restricted to 10A which is a good thing as it enables use from any 240V power point.

A portable (or semi-portable) 15A EVSE would be useful to me for charging during the day as it would save around 2 hours of charge time (during night charge I am sleeping:). However, a 3ph 32A would not be required when (if) a 15A single phase outlet was available, as at a caravan park. In the event that a 240V 15A outlet was not available, but a 3ph 15A (min per phase) was available, then an adapter (3ph to 1ph) would be beneficial.

I have been thinking that an "entry level" EV charging "station" could be a 240V 10A power point and a 3ph 32A socket. But if these points are not currently available and have to be installed, it would be better to install a 32A single phase point alongside the 3ph outlet. I have spoken to shire councils about their entry into becoming an "EV friendly" town. As they almost always already have points in public places, it is only a matter for them to make them available and visible to the EV community.

The 32A single phase point would cover future vehicles with inbuilt chargers that could take advantage of this supply, such as the 2013 SV and SL LEAF, although these are not currently on sale in Australia.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
OK getting serious now and back into it. Darwin is only 1/3 of the way ! !

To Adelaide ...
20160823_110802.jpg

Edith Falls
20160823_120002.jpg

Is this sign (at Edith Falls) reassuring?
20160823_115539~01.jpg

Definitely at the top end now!
20160824_161711.jpg

Fannie Bay
20160824_184616_010.jpg

Charles Darwin University has a little publicised public EV charging station (not even on Plugshare till today).
20160825_092822.jpg

All 6 bays have a 10A J1772 single phase Leaf charger (works fine but a bit slow on a Tesla with adaptor).
CDU Facilities people do like the idea of replacing the dead (and not to be replaced) DC Chademo charger with 2 x 32 A 3ph outlets, but they need to make the case. Wish them luck!

Last edited:
Tessie and man in action were both looking great on that photograph Richard!
When my son first saw the new front design he immediately called it the Angelina Jolie style,proud car, great lips and great charisma ;)
And how about the bottom, frunk and boot, did she collect a lot of red dust during off-road?
Wishing you all the best for the challenging Darwin to Broome Tesla hero!

Your MX will look great in blue. When is it expected now?
Thers a good question, i wish i knew. Waiting back on answers re cost and timing to change my config to a P100D. Late this year early next calendar year? Im not a sig, only production, so the rumour is that the sigs will be delivered before year end and production after that.

Good to know about the seals and the dust. I bought my Audi Q7 based on a trip they did with them up to broome direct from sydney via Alice Springs using mainly off road. The cars held up and kept the dust out in challenging conditions. So must admit was worrying about the Tesla build quality on seals compared to that. Your trip is a good road test.

Thers a good question, i wish i knew. Waiting back on answers re cost and timing to change my config to a P100D. Late this year early next calendar year? Im not a sig, only production, so the rumour is that the sigs will be delivered before year end and production after that.

Good to know about the seals and the dust. I bought my Audi Q7 based on a trip they did with them up to broome direct from sydney via Alice Springs using mainly off road. The cars held up and kept the dust out in challenging conditions. So must admit was worrying about the Tesla build quality on seals compared to that. Your trip is a good road test.

KT, if you have not selected ludicrous you will have to double upgrade to a 100 kWh battery and ludicrous. The battery upgrade is roughly $30k, my S went from $236k to $285k to take it from a P90D to a P100DL.