Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Aussies with front suspension rattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S 100D is 4 months old and has the dreaded front suspension rattle. Started off as a rattle at low speed over bumpy roads, but has got worse and rattles on virtually all road surfaces (except super smooth bitumen). The other thread on the main forum talks about it (and depressingly the so called fix is now appearing not to be one). I'm interested to know if any local buyers of 2017/2018 models with air suspension in Australia have the same issue? Local SC have ordered parts (a couple of months ago), but no ETA. Having spent $190k I get annoyed every time I go for a drive...which just shouldn't be the case.

My S 100D is 4 months old and has the dreaded front suspension rattle. Started off as a rattle at low speed over bumpy roads, but has got worse and rattles on virtually all road surfaces (except super smooth bitumen). The other thread on the main forum talks about it (and depressingly the so called fix is now appearing not to be one). I'm interested to know if any local buyers of 2017/2018 models with air suspension in Australia have the same issue? Local SC have ordered parts (a couple of months ago), but no ETA. Having spent $190k I get annoyed every time I go for a drive...which just shouldn't be the case.

Yep! I have this issue, Tesla have designed an engineering fix for the problem. My car has the parts waiting for me at Alexandria Service Centre and is getting the issue fixed in Mid-February. I originally had it booked for 7th Jan but moved it due to being away for work and need my car.

Call your service centre, tell them you have the known suspension rattle problem and book your car in.

They have the parts there for you already? I took mine to the St Leonards SC in October and they said they'd order the parts. I followed up late Nov and they said they didn't have them. I'll follow up again. I really hope it fixes the problem, but the other thread suggests otherwise

They have the parts there for you already? I took mine to the St Leonards SC in October and they said they'd order the parts. I followed up late Nov and they said they didn't have them. I'll follow up again. I really hope it fixes the problem, but the other thread suggests otherwise
Yep, I reported the issue to them about 6-8 months ago and they added me to the list of reported vehicles after a service tech took the car for a drive with me and confirmed the issue.

The annoying thing is that the roads around the St Leonards SC are ironically well-maintained, so it's always difficult to demonstrate the vibrations to the techs. It's when I take road trips out west that the going gets real nasty. Record video, record audio but they'll insist on being able to reproduce the noise themselves *sigh*

At least I've got 3 years 10 months/69k kms to see if I can reproduce it before warranty's up lol.

Frederick Street alongside Tesla in St Leonards is a shocker. The tech got in my car, we exited Tesla, turned left into Frederick and in less than 5 seconds he said "Yep, know what that is, we can go back". That shows how bad the rattle is...and it has got worse.

Ah, I see all the patchwork asphalt via Street View. Ok, your rattles must be worse than mine because my car will actually be okay over such a surface. It's usually where it's really rough gravel or actual holes of a certain depth (not too deep/pothole-like, but not too shallow either) that trigger it for me. Might give it a spin when I'm next in the area anyway and see if anything comes out. If so, SC appointment!

I'm interested to know if any local buyers of 2017/2018 models with air suspension in Australia have the same issue?
I've not heard the rattle (but then I usually have music pretty loud), I do however have a slow leak in the front air suspension (2017 MS P100D). I'm leaving it with Telsa for a while to make sure it doesn't drop after a day whilst I am away soon....oh and to get my yellowing screen fixed which just started appearing last week. Yes it is all very annoying when you spend this much but to be honest I'm not surprised when this is only the second car Tesla ever designed, it takes many years to get good at making cars.